Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Sea World / Discovery Cove
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #16
brenda1966
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina View Post
So its okay for you to sell your child's belongings to help pay for your DC experience, but its not okay for the OP to have their children contribute some of their Christmas and birthday money to offset the cost of the swim portion?
Oh please. Her "belongings". Yes, I'm tearing them out of her crying hands to sell on ebay. And what do you do with your old stuff? Throw it in the garbage? Box it up for goodwill -- I hope. That's what we do with ours except for those few items that sell well on ebay. My 10 year old no longer has use for Fisher Price Little People.

I agree with Swirly: "Vacations can be spendy, but kids are only at home for, what seems like a short time before they are out on their own-- why not indulge and spoil them some? "

I'd really hate for my child's memory of Discovery cove 10 years from now to be that I didn't get to do the dolphin swim because I would have had to pay for it. But that's just me. By mentioning asking kids to pay I think it's fair to comment on. The OP could have just said "we've made reservation at DC and only half the kids are doing the dolphin swim -- what if the other half change their mind when we get there, will they be able to join the swim last minute?" We didn't need to know the kids were paying and now that we do, it leaves some of us shaking our heads a bit.
WDW: offsite 95, Oct 12; Pop Century: Nov 04, Feb 06, Dec 06, Oct 09; AS Music Oct 10, 11; CBR Oct 07, Apr 14; POR Oct 08 ~ MNSSHP Oct 07, 08, 12
Universal/IoA: Royal Pacific Resort Oct 10, 11 ~ Kennedy Space Oct 10 ~ Sea World Oct 08, 12 ~ Discovery Cove Oct 12
Next: Tokyo!!! Fall 2014! Airfare booked, planning is underway...

Last edited by brenda1966; 09-29-2012 at 12:50 PM.
brenda1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #17
brenda1966
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by janinca View Post
Well, part of the reason we are doing this is that they really wanted to go to Discovery Cove. Dh decided it was way too expensive. Once I realized we could do it without the dolphin swim it made it a little more affordable so we decided that we can afford it without the dolphin swim but if anybody wants to do the dolphin swim bad enough they can help out. They all have plenty of money in the bank and receive Christmas and birthday money and I know they all can afford it if they want it bad enough. For us to put out that much extra for 30 minutes just is not something we feel we can do at this point. But the point of this post was not to find out if we are doing the right thing as parents but to see if it is possible for them to change their minds last minute (and I found out the answer) and to see if people have chosen to go without the swim and then regretted it. I know for myself that I would love to go to Discovery Cove even without the Dolphin swim and don't really feel I would regret it but would hate for my kids to feel like they missed out.
Understood. We all have vacation budgets and when our kids get older they can understand that a dollar only goes so far. And when we think something is not a good value (ie, the high cost for a short "swim") we can share that reasoning with our kids.

I'm sure you'll have a great time at DC.
WDW: offsite 95, Oct 12; Pop Century: Nov 04, Feb 06, Dec 06, Oct 09; AS Music Oct 10, 11; CBR Oct 07, Apr 14; POR Oct 08 ~ MNSSHP Oct 07, 08, 12
Universal/IoA: Royal Pacific Resort Oct 10, 11 ~ Kennedy Space Oct 10 ~ Sea World Oct 08, 12 ~ Discovery Cove Oct 12
Next: Tokyo!!! Fall 2014! Airfare booked, planning is underway...
brenda1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2012, 12:50 PM   #18
FreeThinker
Mouseketeer

My kids are a lot younger, the 9 and 7 year olds did the Dolphin Swim w/ DH adn I (had to take turns so the other could watch the 3 little ones). At the end of both Dolphin Swims they let the little ones come out and all pose together w/ the Dolphin! THe littles wre a just turned 1 baby, and 4 year old twins. We loved our Dolphin swim, but there is a lot more to do at DC. We plan to do it again when the littles are old enough to do it, but if we go back between now and then we would just do the regular day and enjoy the lazy river, aviary, ect. It is a beautiful place, and we loved that it wasn't too crowded!
FreeThinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #19
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenda1966 View Post
By mentioning asking kids to pay I think it's fair to comment on.
And by mentioning that you, too, are having your child finance part of your family's day at Discovery Cove, its also fair to draw the comparison. Just because you choose to have your child contribute in a different way than the OP doesn't make it any better or any worse.

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! Visit my trip report in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #20
Swirly girls
Mouseketeer

I agree with a few of the comments -- if you really feel as though you can't afford this, then just don't do it. If you have to ask your teenage kids to help pay for some of the vacation, then you probably shouldn't even be doing it in the first place.
I have 3 teenage daughters, 2 work. I wouldn't feel right about asking them to pay for thier dolphin swim. Yes, they need to learn how to be responsible with money, but this isn't the way.
I asked my working girls if they were told by us that they would need to pay fir thier own dolphin swim if they would still do it, and they both looked at me like I was totally crazy!
No offense here, but kids living at home under age 18 don't chip in in vacations -That, is a parents responsibility.
Swirly girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #21
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirly girls View Post
I agree with a few of the comments -- if you really feel as though you can't afford this, then just don't do it. If you have to ask your teenage kids to help pay for some of the vacation, then you probably shouldn't even be doing it in the first place.

No offense here, but kids living at home under age 18 don't chip in in vacations -That, is a parents responsibility.
The OP indicated they were comfortable with paying for day resort admission to Discovery Cove for their whole family, complete with admission to SeaWorld, Aquatica and Busch Gardens for the remainder of their vacation. They are also a family of six, which is large by today's standards.

Discovery Cove is an amazing park that does not *need* the dolphin encounter to be a fun day. In fact, we enjoyed our day resort day in August as much (or more) than our dolphin experience day in January, as it was sooooo much more relaxing when we didn't have to plan at all around the dolphin swim time. Contrary to what some people seem to think, not everyone needs to have a dolphin experience at DC to enjoy the park. Some people might have that requirement, but others (like our family) had an incredible day enjoying the Freshwater Oasis, the Grand Reef, the aviary, the lazy river, the food.......and just chillin' on the beach.

The OP was not asking their kids "to pay for part of their vacation". She gave them the option (knowing they had the financial means in their savings from birthday and Christmas monetary gifts) to add on the dolphin swim for themselves if they so chose. These are not preschoolers we are talking about....they are up to 17 years old.

YOUR KIDS under 18 may not be asked to chip in for vacations. Perhaps the OP wants to teach her children other money lessons that you don't feel are important or appropriate right now. That's okay. We all choose different life lessons at different stages.

To say the OP shouldn't take her family on vacation because they are considering omitting the dolphin swim is baffling. Perhaps the OP has set a budget and wants to stick firmly to it, for whatever reasons. Everything can fit in the budget but the dolphin swim. If they kids want to do it, great, they chip in. If not, they have an amazing vacation with a DC trip, visiting Seaworld, swimming at Aquatica, and enjoying Busch Gardens. I think that's pretty fabulous, and those are some lucky kids.

For the record, I don't have my boy pay for attractions on our getaways, but he DOES finance all his shopping endeavours during our holidays (which he looks forward to immensely....and adds up to way more than what he would pay for a dolphin swim). He also buys ALL his own clothes throughout the year. I am sure some would say "if she can't buy his clothes, she shouldn't be taking her family on vacation". But what you are forgetting is I *CAN* afford to buy his clothes, but I choose not to.....using this as a life lesson (and he has tons of money from his part time job plus allowance) and preparing him to be an independent and financially responsible adult. Maybe the OP's objective is the same.

Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! Visit my trip report in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Old 09-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #22
Swirly girls
Mouseketeer

I have 3 teenage daughters, 2 work. I wouldn't feel right about asking them to pay for thier dolphin swim. Yes, they need to learn how to be responsible with money, but this isn't the way.
I asked my working girls if they were told by us that they would need to pay fir thier own dolphin swim if they would still do it, and they both looked at me like I was totally crazy!
Old 09-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #23
Swirly girls
Mouseketeer

Yep, valid points.
Still strongly think parents should not ask kids to pay for ANY part of a vacation, no matter how small, or great the expense is. Comparing kids buying clothes with money they have earned is a very different comparison! Most kids I know do buy some, or all of thier own clothes, but I have to say I don't know any kid(s) under 18 who have paid for ANY part if a family vacation.
By the way, my girls are 16, 15 and 13.
DC is all around stunning, with or without dolphin swim. But, I know I'd feel pretty bad as a parent doing it and my kid(s) sitting out.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #24
janinca
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirly girls View Post
Yep, valid points.
Still strongly think parents should not ask kids to pay for ANY part of a vacation, no matter how small, or great the expense is. Comparing kids buying clothes with money they have earned is a very different comparison! Most kids I know do buy some, or all of thier own clothes, but I have to say I don't know any kid(s) under 18 who have paid for ANY part if a family vacation.
By the way, my girls are 16, 15 and 13.
DC is all around stunning, with or without dolphin swim. But, I know I'd feel pretty bad as a parent doing it and my kid(s) sitting out.
Dh and I are not doing the dolphin swim. If all the kids do it I may have to because of the age of my youngest but otherwise I wouldn't be doing it. I would probably have more fun trying to get pictures.
janinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #25
janinca
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina View Post
The OP indicated they were comfortable with paying for day resort admission to Discovery Cove for their whole family, complete with admission to SeaWorld, Aquatica and Busch Gardens for the remainder of their vacation. They are also a family of six, which is large by today's standards.

Discovery Cove is an amazing park that does not *need* the dolphin encounter to be a fun day. In fact, we enjoyed our day resort day in August as much (or more) than our dolphin experience day in January, as it was sooooo much more relaxing when we didn't have to plan at all around the dolphin swim time. Contrary to what some people seem to think, not everyone needs to have a dolphin experience at DC to enjoy the park. Some people might have that requirement, but others (like our family) had an incredible day enjoying the Freshwater Oasis, the Grand Reef, the aviary, the lazy river, the food.......and just chillin' on the beach.

The OP was not asking their kids "to pay for part of their vacation". She gave them the option (knowing they had the financial means in their savings from birthday and Christmas monetary gifts) to add on the dolphin swim for themselves if they so chose. These are not preschoolers we are talking about....they are up to 17 years old.

YOUR KIDS under 18 may not be asked to chip in for vacations. Perhaps the OP wants to teach her children other money lessons that you don't feel are important or appropriate right now. That's okay. We all choose different life lessons at different stages.

To say the OP shouldn't take her family on vacation because they are considering omitting the dolphin swim is baffling. Perhaps the OP has set a budget and wants to stick firmly to it, for whatever reasons. Everything can fit in the budget but the dolphin swim. If they kids want to do it, great, they chip in. If not, they have an amazing vacation with a DC trip, visiting Seaworld, swimming at Aquatica, and enjoying Busch Gardens. I think that's pretty fabulous, and those are some lucky kids.

For the record, I don't have my boy pay for attractions on our getaways, but he DOES finance all his shopping endeavours during our holidays (which he looks forward to immensely....and adds up to way more than what he would pay for a dolphin swim). He also buys ALL his own clothes throughout the year. I am sure some would say "if she can't buy his clothes, she shouldn't be taking her family on vacation". But what you are forgetting is I *CAN* afford to buy his clothes, but I choose not to.....using this as a life lesson (and he has tons of money from his part time job plus allowance) and preparing him to be an independent and financially responsible adult. Maybe the OP's objective is the same.
Thanks Gina, you are the greatest. I am glad you understand my thoughts in this.
janinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #26
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by janinca View Post
Thanks Gina, you are the greatest. I am glad you understand my thoughts in this.
Aw, no problem at all . You guys are going to have a GREAT trip, dolphin swim or not. You will have to come back and do a little trip report after your travels are over. Would especially love to see some pics and a write up on Busch Gardens....that's one park that's still on our to-do list!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: