Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
nfrank
Mouseketeer

If you had to choose....

If you were relatively new to photography and trip budgeting forced you to choose between buying a new camera or paying for PhotoPass (or Photopass+), which would you choose? And why?

Thanks!
nfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
Shutterbug
Baba Ganoush is my hero
No parking baby, No parking on the dance floor

Thats easy.
Buy a camera. The camera will be used more than just at Disney.
Best way to learn photography is by doing it!
Shutterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
traylorc
DIS Veteran

To be honest I would buy the camera, and supplement my pictures with a few shots from Photopass.

I have to be honest, I view Photopass as being very hit or miss. If you find a very experienced Photopass photograher, you may walk away with some great shots. But the majority of the pictures that I have seen from Photopass are overexposed, underexposed, blurry, etc...

It is not my intent to insult anyone....but for me personally I have found that the more I learn about photography...the more I learn about lighting, exposure, composition, metering, etc... the less impressed I am with pictures from Photopass Photographers. I do not mean to sound elitist or snobbish, that is not my intent. But my memories of Disney are important, and I want those memories capture with properly exposed, properly composed, non-blurry shots. Therefore, I would not want to become 100% dependent on Photopass to capture those memories.
traylorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

You know you're asking a bunch of camera enthusiasts whether to buy a camera, right?

I love using my own camera AND getting Photopass. But if I had to do one or the other, it would be a camera hands down. Photopass does fine with staged photos, but the candid photos always end up being my favorites.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

I'd go with the camera. I never do the photopass because the shots I want are not the posed everyone else has them shots. I want my kid with her face covered in ice cream and my son crashed in the room with a Mickey treat still in his hand. Photopass can't get me those.

Who are these students and why are they calling me teacher?

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

The camera. Disney PhotoPass photographers will take a picture with your own camera. Use that to get some shots with the whole family. I'm also one who isn't afraid to ask another guest to take a photo for us. (They usually get handed our P&S, not my DSLR.)

How many of the on-ride/dining photos would you actually get with the PhotoPass+? To be honest, when I look at the monitor most times for the on-ride photos, they're nothing worth paying for. There's almost always someone making a goofy face or something. (I really need to stop inviting my newphew.)
Old 09-28-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

I would go with the camera, hands down. I have used Photopass in the past and while many times the images were good, there have been times, as others have stated, I wasn't impressed. On the other hand the only time you will see me in a picture at WDW is from Photopass!! LOL!! I use my camera(s) twelve months out of the year. I need to send one in for some calibration, but have difficulty finding a time that I can be without it (even though I have two other DSLR's). You will get far more benefit from a camera than from Photopass.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
hakepb
DIS Veteran

The camera.
But if you are looking to spend less than $200, photopass would be much, much higher quality .. And the photopass card is more shock/waterproof...
Old 09-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #9
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

I'm with Dave, the PP photographers will take pictures with your camera. Just make sure you set your settings the way you want them. I cant tell you the last time I really liked a shot from photopass.

Just buy a camera and have fun learning.
HPS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:34 PM   #10
nfrank
Mouseketeer

But what if you knew that you were going to Disney World alone? It's looking like my trip is going to be solo, more than likely.

January 25 - 31, 2014 - Tokyo Disney Resort (Tokyo Disneyland/Tokyo DisneySea) - Offsite (Hotel Lumiere Kasai)
July 25 - 28, 2013 - Disney Cruise Line - Disney Dream
July 19 - 25, 2013 - Walt Disney World - Disney's Polynesian Resort
October 24 - 30, 2012 - Walt Disney World - Coronado Springs Resort
nfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #11
MolonLabe
DTOM

For me, photo pass ensures we will have some good pictures of all of us. Photo pass photographers can be hit or miss but last trip they were more hit than miss. We also did multiple days in the parks so we'd get the same shot with a new photographer.

Some are good, some not so much.

We are doing PP+ this year, ever y day we'll have the canon g11 and I'll have my t4i with two to three lenses.

The g11 is mostly to hand of to strangers to take pictures of us with. My wife is also a shutter bug with a point and shoot and last trip she got some great candid shots.

If I could only do one? If buy a canon g1x and have the photo pass people take pictures with that

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Nov 2012 Contemporary for 7 days and MVMCP
Sept 2013 Contemporary for 8 days and MNSSHP
May 2014 cancelled due to FP+ debacle
and dozens of off site trip stays.
MolonLabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #12
hakepb
DIS Veteran

Well, you are asking a bunch of photographers and/or hobbyists. Most would love to wonder around Disney with just a camera. (And not have to worry about if that camera will get in the way of other loved ones enjoyment)

Unless I was wanting to show off a bunch of pics of me at Disney, I'm not sure how fun a Photopass would be...but as I mentioned a PP card is easier to carry than a camera.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #13
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

If I was going to WDW alone, that would be more of a reason for me to have a backpack of photo gear. On a solo trip, I would be able to catch so many more shots than I do with the family.
HPS3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: