Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #46
Sparrow78
Mouseketeer

Thanks! I totally thought it was a strain of the flu virus, great to know its not and how to try and avoid risks!

Sailing on the Magic again! Jan 25, 2015!

------
8 night Magic Cruise - Jan 18, 2013

Paradise Pier Hotel May 20-26, 2012
WDW August 7-14 2010
2nd DL trip! May 18-25, 2004
1st DL visit... 1 day rushed trip May 2001
Sparrow78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #47
Liltx
DIS Veteran

I can't believe they wanted to charge you for the visit! If your symptoms are those of a contagious disease they are supposed to evaluate you. They have to keep records for the CDC. If they determine you are contageous they are supposed to quarantine you until you are 24 hours symptom free.

4 out of 10 of us had Noro on our last cruise. Royal Caribbean treated all of us with an antinausea injection, gave us pills to follow up, and provided pedicare etc. They provided us with special meals in room (broth, bananas, rice, apples, toast, tea) We were able to use anything in the mini bar (bottles water, ginger sodas) and all the paided in room movies were free. They also called to check on us twice a day. There was no charge for any of this. We were all well within 36 hours although it did take a few more days for our stomachs to recover.

Disney is just asking for a breakout if their defense to this virus is to charge people $220! Shameful!
Liltx is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #48
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liltx View Post
I can't believe they wanted to charge you for the visit! If your symptoms are those of a contagious disease they are supposed to evaluate you. They have to keep records for the CDC. If they determine you are contageous they are supposed to quarantine you until you are 24 hours symptom free.

4 out of 10 of us had Noro on our last cruise. Royal Caribbean treated all of us with an antinausea injection, gave us pills to follow up, and provided pedicare etc. They provided us with special meals in room (broth, bananas, rice, apples, toast, tea) We were able to use anything in the mini bar (bottles water, ginger sodas) and all the paided in room movies were free. They also called to check on us twice a day. There was no charge for any of this. We were all well within 36 hours although it did take a few more days for our stomachs to recover.

Disney is just asking for a breakout if their defense to this virus is to charge people $220! Shameful!
The comment about the charge for the visit is standard. If, indeed, there were something wrong (that would be cruise/DCL related) the charge is waived.

When DH & I were on our Med cruise in 2010, he became ill and called the med center to find out if he should come down. They said there would be a charge and yes, please come down for evaluation.

When we got there, he was screened by the nurse and put in a room, the doctor came in and examined him. The doctor determined it wasn't, in all likelyhood, noro, but a gastro-intestinal bug. Since we were on day 8 of our cruise, it was determined the illness was cruise-related and the charges waived.

He was prescribed anti-diarrheals and nausea pills. Quarantined for 24 hours (just him, but I stayed in also).

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #49
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
The comment about the charge for the visit is standard. If, indeed, there were something wrong (that would be cruise/DCL related) the charge is waived.

When DH & I were on our Med cruise in 2010, he became ill and called the med center to find out if he should come down. They said there would be a charge and yes, please come down for evaluation.

When we got there, he was screened by the nurse and put in a room, the doctor came in and examined him. The doctor determined it wasn't, in all likelyhood, noro, but a gastro-intestinal bug. Since we were on day 8 of our cruise, it was determined the illness was cruise-related and the charges waived.

He was prescribed anti-diarrheals and nausea pills. Quarantined for 24 hours (just him, but I stayed in also).

that's really interesting - i've often suspected that DCL artificially keeps its noro count low to avoid making the CDC minimum....
if they don't call it noro, it's not counted...who's going to check?
Old 09-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #50
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Quote:

DD and her husband had a similar experience with RCCL - though not gastrointestinal...they had two medical related events and they said RCCL couldn't have been nicer or more accomodating in terms of waiving costs (both doctor's fee and refunds for excusions that they couldn't go on because they were ill - illness that had nothing to do with RCCL)...
Old 09-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #51
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow78 View Post
How common is this virus? May be a dumb question but does the flu shot help avoid it?
Noro is a very common virus. On cruise ships sailing to the US, it must be reported if 3% of the ship's "population" becomes ill on any given sailing--these reports are posted and available to the public. A very different standard is employed on land; a school does not have to report to their state health department unless 10% of their population is absent on any given day.

This virus is transmitted by hand to mouth contact. You get it on your hands by touching something that has been infected by someone who has it. You put your fingers into/near your mouth (or other orifice). Bingo, you now have the virus. Hand wipes have some effect just from the mechanical action of wiping off some of the virus, but the best prevention is the frequent use of soap and water on your hands.

DCL does their part by frequent cleaning of railings, elevator buttons, etc. with appropriate disinfectants which supposedly kill this and many other viruses and bacteria. They frequently change the utensils on the buffet tables. They use disinfectants when cleaning the rooms. Public restrooms are constantly being cleaned. When there have been more than a few ill people on the ship, they have CMs with gloves serving at the buffets and beverage stations (rather than guests serving themselves and they increase cleaning.

The medical center does waive charges when they determine that the visit was probably due to something contracted on the ship. When charges are not waived, they provide appropriate documentation for the guest to submit to their travel insurance and/or health insurance.

The crew is WELL taught about what one referred to as "The dreaded GI." This term came to us from a stage performer. They know that if they become ill, they will be quarantined and life will not be pretty. Frequent hand washing is emphasized as part of their training!

DCL has done their part to reduce spread of this and other nasty diseases. Guests need to be just as diligent with hand washing.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:42 AM   #52
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Noro is a very common virus. On cruise ships sailing to the US, it must be reported if 3% of the ship's "population" becomes ill on any given sailing--these reports are posted and available to the public. A very different standard is employed on land; a school does not have to report to their state health department unless 10% of their population is absent on any given day.

This virus is transmitted by hand to mouth contact. You get it on your hands by touching something that has been infected by someone who has it. You put your fingers into/near your mouth (or other orifice). Bingo, you now have the virus. Hand wipes have some effect just from the mechanical action of wiping off some of the virus, but the best prevention is the frequent use of soap and water on your hands.

DCL does their part by frequent cleaning of railings, elevator buttons, etc. with appropriate disinfectants which supposedly kill this and many other viruses and bacteria. They frequently change the utensils on the buffet tables. They use disinfectants when cleaning the rooms. Public restrooms are constantly being cleaned. When there have been more than a few ill people on the ship, they have CMs with gloves serving at the buffets and beverage stations (rather than guests serving themselves and they increase cleaning.

The medical center does waive charges when they determine that the visit was probably due to something contracted on the ship. When charges are not waived, they provide appropriate documentation for the guest to submit to their travel insurance and/or health insurance.

The crew is WELL taught about what one referred to as "The dreaded GI." This term came to us from a stage performer. They know that if they become ill, they will be quarantined and life will not be pretty. Frequent hand washing is emphasized as part of their training!

DCL has done their part to reduce spread of this and other nasty diseases. Guests need to be just as diligent with hand washing.

Well put Kate

This is a viris /illness that they need to jump on right at the start or is grows by leaps and bounds and Dcl is well aware of that fact.

It would not be a smart idea to try and hide it, especailly as even a suspected out break is checked by the local health authorities and I would not beleive, as carefull as DCL is, they would try to.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:59 AM   #53
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Are you saying that DCL only hands out wipes at entrance to dining rooms and servers only use gloves at buffets when there is an outbreak?

We sailed on Fantasy Aug. 18 and this is how it was. We did not see, nor hear of anyone being sick during our entire cruise. We just assumed that this was the protocol, and frankly, it should be like this the entire time.

They were cleaning bathrooms all day long, as well as elevators, etc. and so we thought that it had changed since our last cruise, as you now have bigger ships with way more guests on them, which means the potential for illness spread is greater.

Sorry OP was ill, Tiger
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #54
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
that's really interesting - i've often suspected that DCL artificially keeps its noro count low to avoid making the CDC minimum....
If the ship has a GI problem, it has to be reported. It doesn't have to be Norovirus.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm

BTW, this is a good site in general for health issues on the ships.
http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/public/public.htm
Old 09-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #55
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
Are you saying that DCL only hands out wipes at entrance to dining rooms and servers only use gloves at buffets when there is an outbreak?Tiger
These are precautions that have been taken every time that we have sailed.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #56
Liltx
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Then they should tell people that the fee will be waived. Otherwise, people will simply not go in and the result is the same. I am hoping my oldest daughter still has some immunity from March when she leaves next week with grandparents. I know the immunity is very short lived.
Liltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #57
DynamicDisneyDuo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Then they should tell people that the fee will be waived. Otherwise, people will simply not go in and the result is the same. I am hoping my oldest daughter still has some immunity from March when she leaves next week with grandparents. I know the immunity is very short lived.
Just depends on what strains you are dealing with. If they are closely related, she may have some residual immunity. If not, it's a free for all.

DynamicDisneyDuo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:17 PM   #58
mmackeymouse
DIS Veteran

Just out of curiosity RE: the medical fee. Isn't that the purpose of insurance? Even if they charge $220 up front, you can turn it in to your trip insurance (or sometimes actual medical insurance) for reimbursement?

Another reason to get insurance, I think.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #59
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
I don't suspect it, I KNOW it. Here's another thread about noro on the Dream and while it contains a bit too much info (mostly just posters bickering), starting on page 2, lbgraves brings up a Wonder cruise from January 2010. I was on that cruise and on the same deck as her friends. It was horrible, there were tons of sick passengers and crew (I can't find the thread for the crew info), no one was helping us and I can assure you that there were enough people sick that it should have been reported to the CDC. It wasn't. They told me NOT to bring my son to the infirmary after my daughter was seen for a GI illness; they just gave me medicine for him.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2927716&page=2

Then, here's a thread I started on CC about that cruise. It was before I realized DISboards existed:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1118671

One poster mentions in there that they got the number from the CDC and they were low. I assure you they were NOT. I saw at least 10 sick, vomiting people in the infirmary when I was there with my daughter and another handful the next day. I can only imagine if there were that many there in the short time I was there, plus I personally know that they told us not to bring our son in so he wasn't counted, there had to have been a LOT of sick people on that ship.

Long story short (too late), DCL is not above-board when reporting illnesses to the CDC. Maybe none of them are; I don't know, we've never had this problem on another cruise line. DCL isn't any cleaner than the ships I've been on with three other cruise lines and considering the number of kids, there is no legitimate way they've kept themselves off the CDC VSP list for the last decade. Every other line I can think of has ended up on it from time to time; something smells fishy in regards to DCLs handling of reportable illnesses.

I've donned my flame suit. Carry on.

Last edited by ilovetexas; 09-30-2012 at 01:53 PM. Reason: left something out
ilovetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #60
user007
Earning My Ears

We just got off the Disney Dream today and my entire family was violently I'll from day 2 of the cruise until day 4. Thank goodness it was only a four day cruise as I could not wait to get off that ship. My 5 year old came down with it first then my wife and I picked it up the last two days. All the information provided appears to be accurate around symptoms as I am sure we had some form of norovirus. We suspect we picked it up in the dining room (enchanted garden) the first night and my poor son was so sick. He never left our side the whole time so we are sure it didn't come from one of the kids areas(he never went in one). By the time we were leaving castaway cay my wife and I were down for the count. We may have got it from our son or we got it from the other dining room (animators palette). Regardless at this point I can say we will never take a Disney cruise ever again (or any cruise for that matter). With the lack of reports of the virus on these Disney ships we thought perhaps it would be safe for a short 4day cruise. If your willing to take the risk of getting extremely sick then by all means bon voyage, but if you have any concern what so ever avoid these ships with every once of your being...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetexas View Post
I don't suspect it, I KNOW it. Here's another thread about noro on the Dream and while it contains a bit too much info (mostly just posters bickering), starting on page 2, lbgraves brings up a Wonder cruise from January 2010. I was on that cruise and on the same deck as her friends. It was horrible, there were tons of sick passengers and crew (I can't find the thread for the crew info), no one was helping us and I can assure you that there were enough people sick that it should have been reported to the CDC. It wasn't. They told me NOT to bring my son to the infirmary after my daughter was seen for a GI illness; they just gave me medicine for him.

Then, here's a thread I started on CC about that cruise. It was before I realized DISboards existed:

One poster mentions in there that they got the number from the CDC and they were low. I assure you they were NOT. I saw at least 10 sick, vomiting people in the infirmary when I was there with my daughter and another handful the next day. I can only imagine if there were that many there in the short time I was there, plus I personally know that they told us not to bring our son in so he wasn't counted, there had to have been a LOT of sick people on that ship.

Long story short (too late), DCL is not above-board when reporting illnesses to the CDC. Maybe none of them are; I don't know, we've never had this problem on another cruise line. DCL isn't any cleaner than the ships I've been on with three other cruise lines and considering the number of kids, there is no legitimate way they've kept themselves off the CDC VSP list for the last decade. Every other line I can think of has ended up on it from time to time; something smells fishy in regards to DCLs handling of reportable illnesses.

I've donned my flame suit. Carry on.
user007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dream, illness, norovirus

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: