Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
catherine
Hey not fair, you guys already have a bunch of tags, and poor me I haven't got one
Cheer up. You've been tagged by the tag fairie

Booked flights!

We've always flown to Florida with Virgin, but for our next trip we decided that it was just way too much money for the flights! We didn't really want to fly indirect as we were concerned that it would take forever and we would have a whole bunch of messing around at our change over airport. However today I found flights with BA that we were totally happy with. Outward bound is change over at JFK with a 2.35 layover. This arrives at MCO at 6.15. Our flight back only leaves MCO at 20.15 so we'll have the whole day at WDW. The return flight is to Gatwick and we only have to wait an hour for our flight to Man. So I'm really happy!!

"In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity." Albert Einstein

catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

Glad you got sorted, enjoy your planning.
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
Magic Megadegs
Mouseketeer

Yay very exciting x

Dec / Jan 1990/1991 Villa Xmas, August 1993 I Drive, November 2001 I Drive, August 2003 I Drive Honeymoon , Dec / Jan 2010/2011 Reunion Resort Xmas, August 2013 Caribe Royale & Old Key West Resort , February 2014 Holiday Inn Resort LBV
Magic Megadegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
stephensmum
DIS Veteran

Looks good, you'l get to clear immigration at JFK & be able to go straight through at MCO. When do you fly?

International Drive Aug 1991
Kissimee Sept 1996
All Star Movies Aug 2005
POFQ May 2007
CBR Aug 2008
SSR Aug 2009
SSR Aug 2010
SSR Aug 2012
stephensmum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
catherine
Hey not fair, you guys already have a bunch of tags, and poor me I haven't got one

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensmum View Post
Looks good, you'l get to clear immigration at JFK & be able to go straight through at MCO. When do you fly?
We only fly out on the 9 Aug. so have plenty of time to wait yet!

Old 09-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

Great timings.

With clearing immigration at JFK you will save so much time at MCO. Bet it will work out similar to direct in terms of time overall.

Also on the plus side of a change over you can stretch your legs and maybe get a bite to eat (plus go to a real loo!)
20ish trips to USA 1997 onwards including All Star Movies Dec 2009 with DDP, OKW Oct 2010 with DDP, Floridays Resort Oct 2011, Bahama Bay resort May 2012, OKW Oct 2012 with DxDDP, All Star Movies Oct 2013 with DDP

DH 39 Me 39 DD 8

Perfectly Princess Tea Party Review Disney Dining 2010 Review
Dining on a budget - $100 a day with coupons All new Dining on a Budget of $100 May 2012
Dixons go Deluxe Oct/Nov 12
dixonsontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
pda789
Earning My Ears

Hi all

hope this isnt a daft question but i was wondering what happens to you when flying indirect? if you have a change based on just an hour do you just wait on the plane till its ready to go again or is it a case of you always have to get off and wait in the airport or is it dependant on the amount of waiting time?

cheers
pda789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
chmurf
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pda789 View Post
Hi all

hope this isnt a daft question but i was wondering what happens to you when flying indirect? if you have a change based on just an hour do you just wait on the plane till its ready to go again or is it a case of you always have to get off and wait in the airport or is it dependant on the amount of waiting time?

cheers
As soon as you land on US soil, you need to go through immigration

so here's how it works :

you get off the plane, go through immigration, collect luggages, go through customs, recheck luggage, go through security, board next plane.

even if you took the same plane (which is very unlikely) you'd have to deplane and go through customs.

It is advised to allow at least 2 hours between flights when you enter the US

for the journey back to the UK, you also have to get off the plane, but this time you just need to go to the next boarding gate

it is very unlikely (almost 0 chance) that you'd be flying on the same plane. domestic flights are operated by smaller planes (757, 737, A320) wheras Transatlantic are operated by larger planes (A330, 747, 777 etc...)
so you'll always need to get off the plane.

feb-mar 2012 : POP
oct-nov 2012 : POP/CBR
oct-nov 2013 : AoA/POR
chmurf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
1andrea
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by catherine View Post
We've always flown to Florida with Virgin, but for our next trip we decided that it was just way too much money for the flights! We didn't really want to fly indirect as we were concerned that it would take forever and we would have a whole bunch of messing around at our change over airport. However today I found flights with BA that we were totally happy with. Outward bound is change over at JFK with a 2.35 layover. This arrives at MCO at 6.15. Our flight back only leaves MCO at 20.15 so we'll have the whole day at WDW. The return flight is to Gatwick and we only have to wait an hour for our flight to Man. So I'm really happy!!

This sounds ideal for us. Can I ask the price please?

Are you flying out of Manchester?

Thanks Andrea

[/url]

2005 January DLRP 3 Nights Dream Castle
2005 May/June 14 Nights Swan and Dolphin and 7 Nights Clearwater
2006 May/ June 10 Nights All Stars Movies and 10 Nights Jamaica
2007 June 14 Nights Saratoga Springs
2008 May/June 21 Nights Beach Club Villas, Hard Rock Hotel and Wilderness Lodge Villas
December 16 Nights Polynesian, Portofino Bay and Grand Floridian
2009 March DLRP 3 Nights Sequoia Lodge
2009 May/ June 22 Nights Port Orleans Riverside, Hard Rock Hotel and Animal Kingdom Lodge
2010 May/ June 26 Nights Bay Lake Tower, Hard Rock Hotel and Boardwalk Villas

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

[/url]

1andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #10
catherine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrea View Post
This sounds ideal for us. Can I ask the price please?

Are you flying out of Manchester?

Thanks Andrea
Yes, we're flying out of Man. The price was £3,290 for 4 adults. I'm sure that we could have got cheaper flights if we had waited, but we have to go on specific dates because I had to request the time of work. However compared to Virgin's direct prices we saved £1000. In a few months there might be M&M deals but again I haven't got the time to keep checking.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #11
1andrea
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by catherine View Post
Yes, we're flying out of Man. The price was £3,290 for 4 adults. I'm sure that we could have got cheaper flights if we had waited, but we have to go on specific dates because I had to request the time of work. However compared to Virgin's direct prices we saved £1000. In a few months there might be M&M deals but again I haven't got the time to keep checking.
Thats a bit more than I was hoping to pay, we might have to postpone our August plans : 0 (

[/url]

2005 January DLRP 3 Nights Dream Castle
2005 May/June 14 Nights Swan and Dolphin and 7 Nights Clearwater
2006 May/ June 10 Nights All Stars Movies and 10 Nights Jamaica
2007 June 14 Nights Saratoga Springs
2008 May/June 21 Nights Beach Club Villas, Hard Rock Hotel and Wilderness Lodge Villas
December 16 Nights Polynesian, Portofino Bay and Grand Floridian
2009 March DLRP 3 Nights Sequoia Lodge
2009 May/ June 22 Nights Port Orleans Riverside, Hard Rock Hotel and Animal Kingdom Lodge
2010 May/ June 26 Nights Bay Lake Tower, Hard Rock Hotel and Boardwalk Villas

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

[/url]

1andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #12
pda789
Earning My Ears

Thank you for your reply chmurf, i didnt realise that was how it worked, im glad i asked now.

again thanks
pda789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #13
Trevski220
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonsontour
Great timings.

With clearing immigration at JFK you will save so much time at MCO. Bet it will work out similar to direct in terms of time overall.

Also on the plus side of a change over you can stretch your legs and maybe get a bite to eat (plus go to a real loo!)
Not wishing too sound like a pessimist, but from previous trips I'd say immigration at JFK is far worse than I have ever encountered at MCO, unless there is a priority lane for transit passengers? I'd be sure to give yourselves 2 hrs between flights
Trevski220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #14
catherine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevski220 View Post
Not wishing too sound like a pessimist, but from previous trips I'd say immigration at JFK is far worse than I have ever encountered at MCO, unless there is a priority lane for transit passengers? I'd be sure to give yourselves 2 hrs between flights
Because the rest of my family are US citizens I can go through the same line as them, so immigration isn't usually a problem for us!

Old 09-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #15
catherine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrea View Post
Thats a bit more than I was hoping to pay, we might have to postpone our August plans : 0 (
If you wait and keep checking and your dates are flexible then you will probably be able to get prices cheaper than that. As I said I couldn't really do that and was just happy to get decent indirect flights!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: