Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #16
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADisneyQueen View Post
DD will be 16 in Nov. and I need some ideas for celebrating. Not sure if she wants a party, just doing something with a few friends or family. Any ideas? Wish I could take her to Disney....
....wow, that's funny - it's gonna be MY Sweet Sixteen [thirty-nine years ago] too!!! Mebbe you could take ME to Disney....:
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath..."
kimmar067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #17
kimmar067

....but srsly, does she have a favorite PRINCESS? You could have a party around THAT theme...I went to one last year with Cinderella as the theme....they had a castle cake, and glass slippers on the tables. The Guest-of-Honor's gown even kinda looked like Cinderella's gown!
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath..."
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #18
wvjules
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmar067
....but srsly, does she have a favorite PRINCESS? You could have a party around THAT theme...I went to one last year with Cinderella as the theme....they had a castle cake, and glass slippers on the tables. The Guest-of-Honor's gown even kinda looked like Cinderella's gown!
For a sweet 16? Maybe for a 6 year old.
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #19
cristit14
An older I am Dorky Wafflebrains
I really need to pay attention when I am walking
I named my goldfish Horsey and Donkey

For my daughter's she invited 3 friends, we went downtown and shopped then we had rented a hotel room so we went back there got dressed up and went to dinner. The following morning we all went out for breakfast too before we went home
Old 09-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #20
Silly Little Pixie
My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
You work yourself up more than it really is, and when it's over you think, huh

Any ideas for a party theme? My DD wants a Sweet 16 party (we can rent a room at the community center), but she doesn't know what theme she'd like. It will be in February.
DCL Wonder 11/08, B2B 11/10, 3/11, Christmas 2011, 6/13
Magic 11/09, 3/10 Fantasy NYE 12/13
Dream B2B Triple Dip! 3/12

Silly Little Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #21
indimom
Are We There Yet?

My daughter wants a party that's a little "different" for her 16th next summer: a Zombie Apocolypse party.

She plans to celebrate at my parents farm where there are no neighbors to disturb. Both boys and girls invited and I'm debating on whether to allow them to spend the night in tents. We've done that with just girls, but I'm gonna have to think about it with a coed party...

She plans to serve Zombie Apocolypse food (think Twinkies, ha ha) and she wants to have training excercises (obstacle courses and airsoft guns for target shooting). She also wants a playlist that will include interruptions for news updates (dad has a great newscaster voice if we can get him to help with this) about the approaching zombie horde. We went to include local towns and landmarks to make it as realistic as possible (War of the Worlds).

Toward the end of the night she wants to watch Zombieland via projector on the side of the barn, followed by a grand finale: a Zombie version of Sharks and Minnows. One kid will randomly be chosen as the first zombie to have arrived at their "haven", the rest will be given two flags to wear at the waist. Then, set them loose on the six acres of cleared property. When both their flags are taken, they join the zombie horde. Last man standing wins.

Honestly, it sounds like a blast, but a royal pain to plan and organize. I told her it's her baby. I'll buy the food, help set up tents and the projector, and supervise, but she's gonna have to deal with the rest.

OP, What would your 16yo like???
Old 09-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #22
Desnik
I actually love packing and planning
I'm glad DH and I were friends first then a couple

Quote:
Originally Posted by indimom
My daughter wants a party that's a little "different" for her 16th next summer: a Zombie Apocolypse party.

She plans to celebrate at my parents farm where there are no neighbors to disturb. Both boys and girls invited and I'm debating on whether to allow them to spend the night in tents. We've done that with just girls, but I'm gonna have to think about it with a coed party...

She plans to serve Zombie Apocolypse food (think Twinkies, ha ha) and she wants to have training excercises (obstacle courses and airsoft guns for target shooting). She also wants a playlist that will include interruptions for news updates (dad has a great newscaster voice if we can get him to help with this) about the approaching zombie horde. We went to include local towns and landmarks to make it as realistic as possible (War of the Worlds).

Toward the end of the night she wants to watch Zombieland via projector on the side of the barn, followed by a grand finale: a Zombie version of Sharks and Minnows. One kid will randomly be chosen as the first zombie to have arrived at their "haven", the rest will be given two flags to wear at the waist. Then, set them loose on the six acres of cleared property. When both their flags are taken, they join the zombie horde. Last man standing wins.

Honestly, it sounds like a blast, but a royal pain to plan and organize. I told her it's her baby. I'll buy the food, help set up tents and the projector, and supervise, but she's gonna have to deal with the rest.

This has got to be the coolest thing I've ever heard of!!! My 14yo DD would love this if it was her sweet 16!!!

For my sweet 16 I didn't want a big party. So we had a small party at my house with my family & a handful of friends. Then the next night my parents rented a limo for me & 4 of my closest friends. We got all dressed up & went to Tavern on the Green for dinner. Then back home to change & pick up my older sister as our chaperone & had the limo all night & club hopped in NYC!! It was awesome!!

My older sister had the big party with 300 guests, DJ, photographers, even had her dress made for the event! It was crazy! So by the time mine came around I knew I didn't want it like hers lol.

My younger sister chose a nice dinner out with the family & a Broadway show.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #23
minnie8892
Disney family of six

My DD wants a "all pink" party. Everything will be pink. The invites will tell her friends they are requested to wear pink. She will have a candy bar and all the candy will be pink. We haven't worked out the food yet. She has been dreaming of this party for years. She even has done research on how to make pink rock candy.
minnie8892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #24
kimmar067

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
For a sweet 16? Maybe for a 6 year old.
....nooooo, one would THINK so.....her Sweet Sixteen party was very elegant! Not 'corny' or cliche` at all! And her gown was absolutely EXQUISITE!
Old 09-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #25
kimmar067

Quote:
Originally Posted by indimom View Post

...I think that THIS is the key and will help the OP determine how to pull off a great, memorable Sweet Sixteen for her DD....
Old 09-29-2012, 01:03 PM   #26
czycropper
DIS Veteran

My DD is having a Quince instead of a Sweet 16...so it's this January (I'm half-Hispanic, so she wanted to celebrate her Hispanic heritage). She was given the choice of either a big party or she & a couple of friends spending the weekend in NYC-going to a couple of shows and eating at her favorite places - she decided a party since we already go into the City enough!

My DH after pricing it all out agreed that a party would be cheaper , so she's having a Moonlit Caribbean Beach themed party at our Golf Club. Since it's in the winter we got a great price!!!

1972 - 1975 - Offsite; 1976 - Contemporary; 1977-1988 - Off site; 1992 - POR/Swan; 2004 - Poly Concierge; 2005 - off site; 2008 - 6/22-6/26 @CBR for dance with Disney Magical Music Days
2009 - 5/22-27 - quick trip to Discovery Cove & Busch Gardens
2011 - WWoHP

Non-Orlando trips
2006 - Colorado
2007 - Caribbean
2010 - Galapagos
2012 - Cedar Point/Holiday World/Hershey Park/Great Adventure/Dorney Park - aka "The Great Roller Coaster Vacation"
2013 - England & France
czycropper is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: