Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
disneyhockeymad
˚o˚ ˚o˚ Sharing a Little Bit of Disney Happiness! ˚o˚ ˚o˚
Adores Toffee Crisps

You said you wanted to do things differently! A September 2012 TR :) Update 10/12

Hi Hello and Welcome, Welcome to Our Show!

So think this through. It had been 1517 days since any of my family had last been to WDW. That's 4 years, 1 month and 25 days. That's a long time. A long, torturous time.

But, on September 6 2012 we finally boarded a plane which would fly us the nine hour 25 minute trip from London Gatwick to Orlando International airport.

Excitement didn't even cut it.

This is the trip report. The "You said you wanted to do something different" report.

I have to confess it has taken me a long time to work up to writing this report. What is it about coming home from WDW that just sends you spiraling into some form of bizarre depression. I couldn't even look at anything Disney related, it made me far too sad!

I am happy to report though that I am slowly getting over it and hopefully with this TR will be able to “heal the wounds”

So without further delay, here we go.

When - 14 days, September 6 to 20th 2012.
Hotel - Lake Buena Vista Resort and Spa.
Who - Me, my parents and my brother.

My name's Laura. I'm a 22-year-old Disney nut (if I didn't write that you'd all be worried right?!) I'm from England a newspaper journalist.

That's me. I adore Tigger, you might not be able to tell. I more or less am about to burst with happiness in this photo. I loved this moment!

My favourite park is Epcot. I love it. We have a special connection. It's the music, the smells, Illuminations, the rides. Everything. I love it.

This is my mum.

She is just as obsessed with disney as I am and absolutely loves planning the trips with me. When we were planning this trip we used to spend hours on the phone, texting and emailing (I don't live at home any more) each other with updates, thoughts and views.

She is absolutely in love with the head honcho himself, the mouse that made it all happen, especially when he is in his sorcerer outfit!

This is my dad,

I think mum and I have converted him to the wonders of a Disney-loving life. How do I know this? Because of this little beauty of a conversation we had during the trip - "you've done it Laura, you've converted me." I nearly cried.

He loves Rafikki, I'm not entirely sure why but he seems to love having his picture with him (although the line was far too long this time).

He's goofy and properly gets into holiday mode, when I get round to making my video of this trip you'll get just what I mean. Something comes over him when we're out there, I don't know what but I love it!

Finally this is my brother Mark. He's 20 so not that much younger than me.

He tries to remain all macho about Disney and act out his "manliness" but really he loves it, and after this trip he has suddenly become obsessed with the DisneyBlog and he keeps telling me everything, it's adorable!

He is very much in love with Beaker from the Muppets. I think it may be the hair colour, and also the fact Mark cracks up at his personality. My brother is a huge jokester so anything he can do to get a laugh he will do. Beaker is the same to an extent!

If you might not have guessed by the title of this TR we wanted to do things a bit differently this time. My dad wanted to explore bits of WDW we hadn't been too before - this included most of the hotels and most of the restaurants. I think it's fair to say when we went before we didn't really know much, we just hit the parks and then any restaurant that took our fancy, this time, we were going to do it right, and I think we did.

So here we go. Sit back, hold on tight and secure all loose items because this report is about to begin!

Lauraclaireh on twitter

Well you said you wanted to do things differently! A Sept 2012 TR
Just one last time... please? A Sept 2012 PTR
It's Alright I'm Still Alive! July 2008 TR

WDW offsite 2001 (April), DLRP Hotel Cheyenne 2001 (June), DLRP Davy Crockett Ranch 2002 (August), DLRP offsite 2003 (August), WDW offsite 2004 (April), DLRP offsite 2005 (August), DLRP Sequioa Lodge 2005 (December), DLRP School Day Trip 2006 (May), DLRP Sequioa Lodge 2006 (December), WDW offsite 2008 (July), DLRP Sequioa Lodge 2009 (December) WDW offsite 2012 (September) WDW Kidani Village 2013 - our first DVC trip (December)

Last edited by disneyhockeymad; 10-12-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
disneyhockeymad
Adores Toffee Crisps

Lauraclaireh on twitter

WDW offsite 2001 (April), DLRP Hotel Cheyenne 2001 (June), DLRP Davy Crockett Ranch 2002 (August), DLRP offsite 2003 (August), WDW offsite 2004 (April), DLRP offsite 2005 (August), DLRP Sequioa Lodge 2005 (December), DLRP School Day Trip 2006 (May), DLRP Sequioa Lodge 2006 (December), WDW offsite 2008 (July), DLRP Sequioa Lodge 2009 (December) WDW offsite 2012 (September) WDW Kidani Village 2013 - our first DVC trip (December)

Last edited by disneyhockeymad; 10-05-2012 at 09:00 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

subscribing - hoping our kids still want to come on holiday with us in a few years :

Old 09-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
frankieeyre
Mouseketeer

YEAHHHHHHHHHH

So so excited for this!!!!

Literally cannot wait any longer!!!

Dd you go to AoA?! Was it nice?!
Old 09-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

Joining! Oh my gosh... FOUR YEARS? No.

I didn't go to Disney until I was 21 (not my idea), but now that I've been... I could NOT wait that long. The longest I can go is one year, and that's stretching it. So I definitely sympathize!!! I hope this trip was worth the wait.

Completed Trip Reports:
December 2011 * July/August 2012 * May/June 2013
Old 09-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
luckylady
DIS Veteran

WOW two weeks, nice. All the adventures you had I can't wait to read about.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
MissPrice
Treguna, Makoidees, Trecorum, Sadis Dee!

Joining in
Old 09-30-2012, 05:19 AM   #8
ChelseyBun20
Earning My Ears

I AM HERE!!!!!

I had internet troubles last night, else I would of been posting sooner! AHHH, I'm so excited to hear about your trip. I just know It's going to be amazing!
That's brill that your Dad is now converted to a Disney nut haha!

Hurry up and wirte some more missy!
Old 09-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #9
disneyhockeymad
Adores Toffee Crisps

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateMinnie View Post
subscribing - hoping our kids still want to come on holiday with us in a few years :
haha I hope so too, I'll miss not going on holiday with my parents, we have so much fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieeyre View Post
YEAHHHHHHHHHH

So so excited for this!!!!

Literally cannot wait any longer!!!

Dd you go to AoA?! Was it nice?!
Hiiiii! Haha I love your excitement, I'm about to do the next update now just to make your day We did, the theming was amazing but I definitely couldn't stay there!! It was just all a bit too whacky for me. That being said, if I had a kid who adored those movies I would!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
Joining! Oh my gosh... FOUR YEARS? No.

I didn't go to Disney until I was 21 (not my idea), but now that I've been... I could NOT wait that long. The longest I can go is one year, and that's stretching it. So I definitely sympathize!!! I hope this trip was worth the wait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylady View Post
WOW two weeks, nice. All the adventures you had I can't wait to read about.
Hey! It was a horrible length of time. We did split it up slightly by going to Disneyland Paris for a few days over Christmas 2010 but it's just not the same! This trip was definitely worth the wait and now we have lots of excuses to go back as well... although I'm not going to reveal what!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPrice View Post
Joining in
I hope you enjoy it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseyBun20 View Post
I AM HERE!!!!!

I had internet troubles last night, else I would of been posting sooner! AHHH, I'm so excited to hear about your trip. I just know It's going to be amazing!
That's brill that your Dad is now converted to a Disney nut haha!

Hurry up and wirte some more missy!
I'm going, I'm going!! It's being written as we speak!! Gotta kill my work hours some how!

Thanks I'm excited to post about it, not as excited as I would be to go back and do it all again but there we go, can't have everything in life now can I?!

Lauraclaireh on twitter

Old 09-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #10
disneyhockeymad
Adores Toffee Crisps

Day 1. Getting There!

So this was it. Today was the day!

The holiday for me had actually started the day before, because of work I live about two and a half hours from my parents and my brother so after counting down the hours in the day (it was the longest working day of my life) I finally bounded out of the office about 5.30pm, packed up the last little bits of my car, put my ipod on Disney music and got going!

When I arrived at home I was greeted by a very overly excited mum and a very stressed dad! I helped mum pack up the last little things (potentially the reason dad was stressed!!), had dinner and then headed to bed. Sleep was unbearable. I could not fall asleep no matter what.

When I eventually did fall asleep I woke up almost instantly around 7am, joined the line for the shower and helped dad pack up the car!

Before long we were leaving for the airport!

When we got there we parked our car and jumped on the bus to take us to the terminal. All of a sudden we all got into holiday mode, nobody could contain their excitement!

Then we followed this sign...

We checked in, dropped our bags off and headed through security in search for breakfast. It's a tradition of ours to eat at Frankie and Benny's before we fly, so we didn't let tradition down!

We all ordered fresh orange juice and mum and I each ordered the porridge with honey and banana, and split a bowl of fresh fruit between us.

Dad and Mark couldn't resist but get the New England Breakfast so they each got one of those.

It was about this time the "are you seriously going to take photos of all of our food" and the "she's at it again" comments started flying at me. Yes I'm going to take photos of everything, including food, and no, I don't care, that's how we dis-ers role!!

It was then that our fun started to begin. I use the word fun lightly. (Bear with me, there is a lot of writing coming up, but it's necessary!)

Our gate opened earlier than we thought so after grabbing a few books and magazines from the shops we rushed through to wait to board.

Or so we thought.

Instead we sat there. And sat there. And sat there. Time started to creep slowly towards our flight time and then ebb on past it. I was not amused. Who in their right mind was keeping me from going to Disney?

Finally they sent round an announcement telling us that there was a technical problem with the plane and they were trying to fix it.

Cue groans from the departure lounge. We were already half an hour late on leaving.

This is when all mayhem broke loose. They would only let people go out to the toilet four, yes FOUR, people at a time. Imagine a room full of around 500 people most of who had been waiting waaay longer than they should have all suddenly decide they want to go to the toilet. It was ridiculous. The line to leave the lounge was at least an hour long. My dad joined it and didn't come back for 45 minutes! I got through half a film in that time!

After about an hour of hearing nothing we were finally told that the plane was un-fixable (I swear in that moment I died a little inside thinking I wasn't going to get to Disney until the next day) but, hooray, they had found us another plane!

We then had to be frog marched over to another departure lounge. We were given these special tickets!

Finally once they had transferred everyone over (mum and I managed to run to the bathroom after we were transferred, took us 2 minutes, ha! to everyone in the other line!) we were boarded and I was seeing this!

We were relieved! And although we were two hours late we managed to regain the excitement

Ooh. I'd just to like to pause for one second. I don't know whether you see it on those pictures but look at this.

Swanky, new, shiny leather head rests. Yeah Virgin! You spoil us so! They were so comfortable too!

Anyways, back from my tangent...

Soon we were in the air (only two and a half hours late - groan) and we were given these exciting menu's telling us what we could eat. I like this method better, I can decide just how hungry I'm going to be that flight!

We were also given our feel good kit, you can never go wrong with a feel good kit. Especially on the way to Disney!

Lauraclaireh on twitter

Last edited by disneyhockeymad; 10-05-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #11
disneyhockeymad
Adores Toffee Crisps

This is a close up of the menu. I chose the chicken for my "main meal" and mum and I just HAD to try the cocktail!

I'm not going to lie, it was nothing special, it was plane food after all but it filled a hole. I hadn't eaten in a good five hours, I was starting to feel slightly ravenous!

I ate lunch while watching "The Lucky One" - it's based on a Nicholas Sparks book and has Zac Efron in it. It was good, I liked it a lot. I think I also flicked through a variety of Two Broke Girls before watching Sherlock Holmes 2 as well.

I did have NINE hours to kill!

They then brought us ice cream which was a caramel icecream covered in chocolate, it wasn't half bad. Plus apparently it was "skinny" and given all the food I planned to eat in WDW, I was grateful for the healthy headstart!!

I watched a lot of TV after that, How I Met Your Mother, Cougar Town, and some more Two Broke Girls.

Then I was seeing this beauty

To be continued...

Lauraclaireh on twitter

Old 09-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #12
flyergrad09
Future Monorail Driver

Hello! I'm joining in as well.

I like that at Frankie & Benny's they say on the menu that they can bring you your check when you order in case you're in a hurry. I always worry that I'll miss my boarding time if I go to a sit down restaurant at an airport!

That's a bummer that your flight was delayed so much, but when that happens to me, I always look at it as a good thing that they discovered whatever was broken BEFORE takeoff.

I've never flown on Virgin Airlines, but wow, talk about swanky! Those headrests look so comfy! And you actually got a meal on the plane! I mean, considering how long of a flight you had, it would be cruel to not have food. I can't even think of the last time I was on a flight that offered more than a bag of pretzels.

I can't wait to read more!

Follow me on Twitter! @flyergrad09 • Follow me on Instagram! @flyergrad09

I've been a Disney girl my entire life!
May 1987 - Offsite • November 1990 - Offsite • June 1998 - OKW • December 2001/January 2002 - Offsite • December 2003/January 2004 - Offsite • December 2007/January 2008 - Offsite • December 2009 - Offsite • July 2010 - DISNEYLAND! • December 2010 - Offsite • December 2011 - ASMu • May 2012 - ASMu
Old 09-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #13
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

Oh man, that wait sounds awful! Planes can be so stressful, but thank goodness you didn't have to fly in a broken plane!

Completed Trip Reports:
December 2011 * July/August 2012 * May/June 2013
Old 10-01-2012, 02:13 AM   #14
ChelseyBun20
Earning My Ears

That's rubbish about the planes.. but at least you got there safe!! That's the main thing! That Virgin plane looks lush, we haven't flown with them in years because every time we did we were always delayed . However, I've looked at prices for them for next year.. Think I nearly had a heart attack . Why is everything so expensive?!

I'm jealous of how healthy you were at Breakfast in the Airport - Why can't I be like this?! I just love food far too much lol!
Old 10-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #15
Skeleton Jack
Earning My Ears

I wish my flights were that awesome! Id even be happy with food! On board for this report!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: