Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #18
ravensilverlight
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemaybaby View Post
Since I've never been on a cruise before, I am unsure as to what expect on the days when the ship visits the different ports. Do most people do excursions? stay on the boat? Is the boat just docked in the middle of nowhere so you pretty much have to do an excursion?
These probably seem like such silly questions, but I honestly have no idea.
The only silly question is the one you refuse to ask.

As far as excursions vs. exploring vs. staying on the ship, you'll get different answers depending on what port, and what person! Some people like to do excursions through Disney. Others swear by booking independent excursions. Still others will tell you to research the port on your own and walk around or taxi and skip the "organized" excursions altogether. It's a VERY individual choice. DH and I have done all three at one time or another, depending on what port we're visiting!

The ship will be docked, or set up for tendering, in the same place all the cruise ships dock or tender from. (I know, it sounds snarky, but I promise I'm going somewhere with this!) Wherever you are, there will be shops/carts close by, and transportation will be readily available (taxis, buses, etc.) to take you to nearby places (museums, beaches, etc.). For most ports, the locals RELY on tourists spending money, so they make it easy for you to do that by keeping things to do, see, and buy easily accessible!

Most ports DCL visits, and most excursions they offer, have been discussed on the boards at one time or another. I suggest you skip the boards' search function and just google "disboards" with the port or excursion you want to know more about, I've found those results to be more helpful. If you can't find info on the DIS, then you can ask in a new thread, or search other websites (cruise critic, etc) and probably find some good sources.

Congrats on planning your first ever cruise. I have no doubt you'll be hooked and start planning your second before the first is over!

Disney Wonder, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013 * Disney Magic, 2011 * Disney Dream, 2013
ravensilverlight is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: