Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #61
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

Hmmmm...

My mom just got back from her cruise to the Bahamas.

She had a well deserved great time and was talking a mile a minute to fill us in... (no surprise there if you've been paying attention).

She is insisting that the highlight of her trip was an excursion in Atlantis to swim with dolphins. She is so insistent and excited and thinks we should add a day at Discovery Cove to our trip.

The price, the time, the fact that I don't really enjoy seeing animals in captivity. I'm not really sure about this. But she's so excited and this is her trip too.

Decisions, decisions...
-Hope- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:06 AM   #62
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

I think your kids would enjoy it! I know what I would do is talk a bit about animals in captivity and share your feelings with them and then go and enjoy! It is your mom's trip too, I'm sure they treat them very very well...right?!?!
Twoboysnmygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2012, 05:16 AM   #63
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post
I think your kids would enjoy it! I know what I would do is talk a bit about animals in captivity and share your feelings with them and then go and enjoy! It is your mom's trip too, I'm sure they treat them very very well...right?!?!
They do treat them well- it's all about conservation and education. And they limit the number of people allowed in per day (though the limit is like, 1000). The price includes tickets to Sea World as well as I think they are sister parks. I'm torn because it does sound really fun and cool but I feel badly for thinking that. I know, I'm completely nuts...
Old 09-29-2012, 05:19 AM   #64
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hope- View Post
They do treat them well- it's all about conservation and education. And they limit the number of people allowed in per day (though the limit is like, 1000). The price includes tickets to Sea World as well as I think they are sister parks. I'm torn because it does sound really fun and cool but I feel badly for thinking that. I know, I'm completely nuts...
You don't sound nuts to me, but I'm the choir, so I may not be the most unbias person in this situation!
Twoboysnmygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:44 AM   #65
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl

You don't sound nuts to me, but I'm the choir, so I may not be the most unbias person in this situation!
Old 09-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #66
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

Well, when I told my mom how much DC costs she decided she didn't need to do that, lol! I may still talk to my dad between now and then to try to surprise her but for now we'll just plan on UO, LLF and DTD.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #67
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hope- View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post

I’m not exactly one you could necessarily call “sane” either but I think Karen’s advice is good. DC seems like a wonderful experience, from what I have read, and I am glad my kids don’t know about it because they would be BEGGING me to go If you did surprise your mom, could that be something that she could take the kids to herself? Then you could get out of going and maybe enjoy some Me Time by the pool!

Disney Every Day - An October 2014 PTR
Tink-erin-belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #68
Alysa
DIS Veteran

Oh my goodness! I love this report! Doctor Who and Harry Potter and Movie Nights! What's not to love! And you have so many Whovian readers too! So awesome! Really looking forward to hearing more about your trip. We are going to Universal and Hogwarts for the first time so it's great hearing all about your planning. Just wondering, we were going to remain at Disney (WL) for the whole trip and jut drive over really early that day. I noticed that was not one of your options on your chart. Is that a bad idea? Too far?
Again, great report, looking forward to hearing more!
78 & 85: Offsite w. parents, 00: New Years Eve at Port Orleans & Anniversary at BWV, 01: Star Wars Weekend at POR & Christmas at GF & BWV, 04: Baby's first trip AKL, 05: Spring at BCV; 06: Big Family Trip, BCV & Vero-WL homeless trip, 08: Minnie Marathon with my sister, Big family Not so scary halloween party, 10: Star Wars Weekend boys trip & Vero/WL summer holiday, Big Family Christmas, 11: Star Wars weekend, Summer road trip, 13: Halloween without mum

Up next June 2015 Changing my Life
Alysa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #69
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alysa
Oh my goodness! I love this report! Doctor Who and Harry Potter and Movie Nights! What's not to love! And you have so many Whovian readers too! So awesome! Really looking forward to hearing more about your trip. We are going to Universal and Hogwarts for the first time so it's great hearing all about your planning. Just wondering, we were going to remain at Disney (WL) for the whole trip and jut drive over really early that day. I noticed that was not one of your options on your chart. Is that a bad idea? Too far?
Again, great report, looking forward to hearing more!
I'm so happy to have another Whovian! (And omg my autocorrect just finished Whovian for me, how cool is that?!) don't know about you guys but I'm still recovering from the fall season finale- but I digress. And don't want to give away any spoilers.

I think driving over from Disney is a great option if you are doing Disney as well. I'd love to stick around long enough to do it all but we just don't have time. We did briefly toy with the idea of spending one day at WDW but we couldn't agree on which park. If the kids had wanted the same I'd have gladly let them have their way but the wanted different parks and it just seemed too complicated.

I'm on my phone so don't see signatures, do you have a PTR??
Old 10-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #70
Alysa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm so happy to have another Whovian! (And omg my autocorrect just finished Whovian for me, how cool is that?!)

Actually that is super cool!

don't know about you guys but I'm still recovering from the fall season finale- but I digress. And don't want to give away any spoilers.

I know! I couldn't stop thinking about the finale and I couldn't sleep so I stayed up watching 10 and Donna, all my favourite episodes of theirs. I watched The Unicorn and The Wasp, Silence in the Library and The Stolen Earth. "How is Harvey Wallbanger one word?!?"

I think driving over from Disney is a great option if you are doing Disney as well. I'd love to stick around long enough to do it all but we just don't have time. We did briefly toy with the idea of spending one day at WDW but we couldn't agree on which park. If the kids had wanted the same I'd have gladly let them have their way but the wanted different parks and it just seemed too complicated.

Whew! I was worried my plan to drive over was a Universal newbie mistake.

I'm on my phone so don't see signatures, do you have a PTR??
Yes, and I have lots of Doctor Who digressions on there so come on by for a cup of tea and a visit!
"Tea! That's all I needed! Good cup of tea! Super-heated infusion of free-radicals and tannin, just the thing for healing the synapses..."
78 & 85: Offsite w. parents, 00: New Years Eve at Port Orleans & Anniversary at BWV, 01: Star Wars Weekend at POR & Christmas at GF & BWV, 04: Baby's first trip AKL, 05: Spring at BCV; 06: Big Family Trip, BCV & Vero-WL homeless trip, 08: Minnie Marathon with my sister, Big family Not so scary halloween party, 10: Star Wars Weekend boys trip & Vero/WL summer holiday, Big Family Christmas, 11: Star Wars weekend, Summer road trip, 13: Halloween without mum

Up next June 2015 Changing my Life
Alysa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #71
BabyEeyore
DIS Veteran

OMG, the fall season finale!

DH and me: DD (4): Ali: Prim:

Multiple trips as a kid (DL) & lots of day trips to WDW as an adult
Off-site: First trip with DH and DD, WDW Nov. 2008
Pop Century: Oct. 2009, March 2010
POFQ: Sept. 2010 (MNSSHP), Jan. 2011
CBR: Sept. 2011 (MNSSHP)
Art of Animation: Sept. 2012 (MNSSHP)
BabyEeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:22 AM   #72
tlinus
Proud Redhead
Johnny Depp sexy transcends all generations!!!!
we should have just bagged it

Welcome to the Darkside

I am enjoying your PTR very much.....just know there is a whole other side to planning for UO. It isn't as hectic and rush rush as planning for The World.

mac is the "go-to gal" for our Little Space over here, and there are quite a few others here to lend a hand as well!!

Glad to see another family giving it a go......looking forward to seeing more of your planning
Old 10-02-2012, 10:12 AM   #73
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alysa View Post
Yes, and I have lots of Doctor Who digressions on there so come on by for a cup of tea and a visit!
"Tea! That's all I needed! Good cup of tea! Super-heated infusion of free-radicals and tannin, just the thing for healing the synapses..."
I'll be over to check it out as soon as I update here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyEeyore View Post
OMG, the fall season finale!
I know! I've watched it twice now.

I kind of figured it was going to go that way when I found out it was a weeping angel episode. Kya and I discussed it ahead of time and both agreed we were okay with it as long as they were together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlinus View Post

Welcome to the Darkside

I am enjoying your PTR very much.....just know there is a whole other side to planning for UO. It isn't as hectic and rush rush as planning for The World.

mac is the "go-to gal" for our Little Space over here, and there are quite a few others here to lend a hand as well!!

Glad to see another family giving it a go......looking forward to seeing more of your planning
Thanks and to my PTR!

Yep, I've been exploring these boards and saw that mac was the resident dark side expert.

I love that the planning isn't quite as hectic. It's giving me plenty of time to really explore my transportation and lodging options as well as the other activites we might want to do. I love the "immersion" experience we had for our trip to WDW in 2010 but I'm also really looking forward to the variety we'll be able to experience on this trip.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #74
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

I've found a PERFECT solution to our dolphin dilema.

I know that Discovery Cove and Sea World are world class facilities, they treat the animals really well and are important for research and education vital to protecting these animals in the wild. I don't begrudge a single person their enjoyment in these places. But I just don't enjoy them- I spend the entire time feeling badly for the animals, wondering if even though it might be best for animals overall is it really best for these particular animals.

With all that being said, I'm also really fascinated with the animals and used to enjoy zoos and other habitats quite a bit (before I really started questioning things). So, when the idea of Discovery Cove came up I was really feeling torn. Enter Clearwater Marine Aquarium.

This is the animal rescue facility that was featured in the movie Dolphin Tale and it is ALL about the animals. The tours and activities are just a way to keep the doors open so they can continue to rescue, rehabilitate and release marine life. All of the animals that come through the doors are rescues and the only animals that become permenant residents at CMA (including Winter, the tail-less dolphin featured in the movie) are those who, for various reasons, would be unable to survive if released back into the wild.

There are a lot of activities that can be added on to a day at CMA including a behind the scenes tour of the rescue facility and a dolphin wading experience. I'm still not sure we'll be able to afford the wading experience but there are so many other cool things to choose from that I think we won't mind. And Kya is extremely excited at the prospect of meeting Winter.

It's a bit of a drive, about two hours from Orlando one way, but I think it will be worth it. We live in a rural area and are used to driving a couple of hours for special activities.

I'm really excited at the prospect of adding this excursion to our trip!

Last edited by -Hope-; 10-02-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #75
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

That sounds like a great idea, Hope! The aquarium sounds like they are doing great work and it looks wonderful!

Disney Every Day - An October 2014 PTR
Tink-erin-belle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: