Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
elgerber
Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet & see a movie alone
Likes to grill year round

United Center Chicago

We are going to going to a concert at the United Center in the spring. I have been to Chicago a couple of times, but only in the downtown area. I am not at all familiar with the area the United Center is in. Can anyone suggest good hotels in the area? We are most likely driving, unless I can score some really good airfare.

Thanks!!

Erika
Old 09-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
Callie
Always Dreaming of Disney Magic

Its kind of a scary part of town! I would NOT stay there, instead stay either downtown which is a quick drive or bus ride. Or stay in the suburbs somewhere
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
elgerber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callie View Post
Its kind of a scary part of town! I would NOT stay there, instead stay either downtown which is a quick drive or bus ride. Or stay in the suburbs somewhere
thank you, that kind of info is exactly what I need.

Downtown area hotels, I know fairly well. They also tend to charge high parking rates.

Are there specific suburbs/hotels you could recommend?
Old 09-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
Callie
Always Dreaming of Disney Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgerber View Post
thank you, that kind of info is exactly what I need.

Downtown area hotels, I know fairly well. They also tend to charge high parking rates.

Are there specific suburbs/hotels you could recommend?
I've stayed up by the airport before, but its about a 45 minute train ride into the city.
I forgot about the parking rates! We've always generally stayed downtown because we take the South Shore into Chicago. There should be plenty of people on here that can guide you to some good suburb areas!
Old 09-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #5
RadioNate
DIS Veteran

Just a rough look-see based on driving from Minnesota. Further from UC I'd look at Schaumburg or anything near O'Hare.

The Oak Park area would be fine especially if you didn't want too much of a drive after the show. There are a lot of nicer hotels a bit further out in Oakbrook too.

Downtown would obviously be closer.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
elgerber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioNate View Post
Just a rough look-see based on driving from Minnesota. Further from UC I'd look at Schaumburg or anything near O'Hare.

The Oak Park area would be fine especially if you didn't want too much of a drive after the show. There are a lot of nicer hotels a bit further out in Oakbrook too.

Downtown would obviously be closer.
Thank you, that give some ideas to look at. Downtown would be closer to UC? If air comes down and we can fly, I'd probably for sure stay downtown, as we can skip the car. Can you get to UC from downtown with no car?
Old 09-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
RadioNate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you, that give some ideas to look at. Downtown would be closer to UC? If air comes down and we can fly, I'd probably for sure stay downtown, as we can skip the car. Can you get to UC from downtown with no car?
Public transportation is tricky. Train to bus.

I'd pay more and take a cab but I always pay more and take a cab.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #8
mrsv98
Gracie's Mama
Loves those slider bags
Beware the Tails of Doom!
I couldn't believe the weeny little turkey!

Staying at one of the hotels near the airport will be cheaper than staying in the city. You can take the Blue line "L" train to the Washington st station and then a short bus or cab ride to the UC. You do not want to walk in the area, go to the UC and then leave, no lingering!

There is a large range of hotels in the area from fancy to something like Homewood Suites. If you go to Hotels dot com or any travel place and put in ORD you will see a lot of places to stay.
mrsv98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
elgerber

Thanks everyone! If we fly, we would probably stay downtown, because then we can stay over Sunday and hang out downtown. I have no problem paying the cab fare.

If we stay in the burbs, is it ok to drive to UC (since we'll have a car), is the parking lot safe to park in? You guys are scaring me a bit LOL.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
mrsv98
Gracie's Mama
Loves those slider bags
Beware the Tails of Doom!
I couldn't believe the weeny little turkey!

Quote:
Thanks everyone! If we fly, we would probably stay downtown, because then we can stay over Sunday and hang out downtown. I have no problem paying the cab fare.

If we stay in the burbs, is it ok to drive to UC (since we'll have a car), is the parking lot safe to park in? You guys are scaring me a bit LOL.
If you are confident in your navigating, then you could drive though the parking is expensive. There are several official parking lots around the stadium. You do need to be careful that you park in a real lot and not some guys side business. Truthfully, I hate driving down there or into town. We always take the train and then a cab, much easier.
mrsv98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:32 PM   #11
RadioNate
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I wouldn't worry about driving in or parking.

And mrsv98 is right the 'L' to the bus isn't terrible. I just hate the bus. I'm decidedly anti-bus. Though I do use it in the winter. But yeah, I wouldn't be walking from the train to the UC.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #12
Rainman415
Earning My Ears

I grew up in Chicago and have been to the UC many, many times! If you drive, and want to avoid hotel parking fees, stay in Oakbrook. It's a very upscale suburb. There are many nice hotels there and plenty of restaurants. The expressway that runs right next to Oakbrook Mall is I-88, and you would take this east all the way to Damen Avenue and then go north several blocks to be at the UC. Very easy drive. Easy to find parking as well.

Now if you fly in, stay downtown really anywhere you can get a good rate, and take a cab to the UC. Yes, it may cost more, but it's well worth it. Don't stay by O'hare, it's too far and unnecessary.

Yes, it's in a not so great area, but I've never had any problems there at all, just don't hang around after the game.

I live in the far suburbs now, and it always amazes me how many people don't want to drive downtown. I hate taking the train so I always drive, I just don't think it's a big deal. Now New York driving?.....ugh!!!

Me, Margaret(48) DH, Mark(47) DD, Kate(19) DS, Ryan(11) DDog, Holly(3)
Rainman415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #13
CathrynRose
R.I.P. Possibly Un-PC Tag, R.I.P.
Back away from the cheesecake, lady!!!
I had ponytails so tight, I couldn’t move my head
I can't stop sniffing me

Quote:
It's absolutely fine when things like concerts or games are going on. You'll be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainman415 View Post
I grew up in Chicago and have been to the UC many, many times! If you drive, and want to avoid hotel parking fees, stay in Oakbrook. It's a very upscale suburb. There are many nice hotels there and plenty of restaurants. The expressway that runs right next to Oakbrook Mall is I-88, and you would take this east all the way to Damen Avenue and then go north several blocks to be at the UC. Very easy drive. Easy to find parking as well.

Yes, it's in a not so great area, but I've never had any problems there at all, just don't hang around after the game.
And this ^^^ is what I would do, and agree with. I'm right next to Oak Brook. The drive to UC is easy as pie. Oak Brook, Downers Grove, Lombard.... all good places to stay and 20 minutes tops, to drive to UC. You could Priceline a room, closer to the date, for cheap as heck.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #14
elgerber

Thanks again, great info for me!!
Old 09-28-2012, 11:38 PM   #15
runmommyrun
Mouseketeer

I now live outside the city, but lived 5 minutes from the United Center for several years and have lived in the Chicago area most of my life. If you are coming from out of town and not familiar with the area, I highly recommend staying downtown and parking your car at the hotel and taking cabs. The hotel rooms are a bit more expensive, but it is worth it to just park your car and forgo the hassle of driving. Parking gets quite pricey if you are moving your car all the time.

I wouldn't recommend staying in the suburbs for someone unfamiliar with the area. It is a major hassle. Oak Brook and Schaumburg are fine and on the interstates, but you still have to drive into the city 30 minutes or so, depending on traffic. It just isn't something I'm inclined to do in cities I visit.

There are a lot of decent hotels downtown in the River North area... Marriott, Residence Inn/Springhill Suites, Hampton Inn, etc.. They are 10 minutes to United Center and in the heart of the city. There are higher end places, as well, if you'd prefer.

Have fun! Chicago is a fun town.
Beach Club Villas/Port Orleans-French Quarter, Star Wars Weekend (June 2014); Bay Lake Tower/AoA, MNSSHP & Epcot Food & Wine Festival (Oct. 2013); Aulani and Villas at Grand Californian (June 2013); Bay Lake Tower, Epcot Food & Wine Festival (Oct. 2012); Beach Club Villas/Dream Cruise/Bay Lake Tower (June 2012); Bay Lake Tower, Epcot Food & Wine Festival (Oct. 2011); Bay Lake Tower (June 2011); Vero Beach (March 2011); Saratoga Springs (Jan. 2011); Wilderness Lodge Villas & Bay Lake Tower (Aug. 2010); Vero Beach (March 2010); Wilderness Lodge (June 2009); Off-site (1998, 1997 & 1986)
runDisney
2011 Disney Marathon & Kid Races; 2011 Wine & Dine Half Marathon; Castaway Cay 5K June 2012
DVC Member since March 2010
runmommyrun is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: