DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 08:51 AM   #76
rlduvall
I just sit there and think "Oh, pretty colors."
Now maybe some-one will pick me first for dodgeball

I am ambivalent about it - I truly see both sides of the issue. BUT, a PP mentioned that you don't see falling down drunks in EPCOT, DHS or AK and they all serve alcohol. Well, I disagree to a point.

Now let me clarify that I drink socially, albeit rarely anymore, and have no issues with people drinking. But the last couple of years that I have been at EPCOT some of these "Drinking Around the World" groups have started to get out of hand. For one thing, there are so many more groups than there used to be and secondly, I have never been during F&W so it's not "just" during that time of the year. Again, I'm not a puritan, but by the time these groups hit a few countries, they are starting to get loud and sometimes obnoxious. I really wish Disney would monitor that a little better.

rlduvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #77
bwang123

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlduvall View Post
I am ambivalent about it - I truly see both sides of the issue. BUT, a PP mentioned that you don't see falling down drunks in EPCOT, DHS or AK and they all serve alcohol. Well, I disagree to a point.

Now let me clarify that I drink socially, albeit rarely anymore, and have no issues with people drinking. But the last couple of years that I have been at EPCOT some of these "Drinking Around the World" groups have started to get out of hand. For one thing, there are so many more groups than there used to be and secondly, I have never been during F&W so it's not "just" during that time of the year. Again, I'm not a puritan, but by the time these groups hit a few countries, they are starting to get loud and sometimes obnoxious. I really wish Disney would monitor that a little better.
"Drinking Around the Magic Kingdom" will be a very short sober adventure.

bwang123 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #78
rlduvall
I just sit there and think "Oh, pretty colors."
Now maybe some-one will pick me first for dodgeball

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwang123 View Post
"Drinking Around the Magic Kingdom" will be a very short sober adventure.
Good point.

rlduvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #79
scottashackleton
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micca View Post
This decision has no impact on me or my family whatsoever. That will probably be the case for just about everyone. Let's guesstimate...

How many people in the MK on any given day eat at one specific restaurant?

What are the number of people who would dine at BOG?

What number of those people will order beer or wine?

Of those people, how many will drink to the point of noticeable excess?

One other variable is the people who have been smuggling in alcohol for years.

Another variable is the people who have already been drinking when they arrive at MK.

Another variable is how many people have an unpleasant experience with someone who has over-imbibed?

Let's just hope the revenue generated from this will result in some MK park improvements
Agreed. I think people are overreacting. The only thing I would consider is if it was meant to be a dry park, then keep it that way. I think more people would have an issue with that than people being drunk and ruining their visit... That's a long shot.
scottashackleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #80
kbeam
Don't get saucy with me, Bernaise.

FINALLY! It's really been a drag having to leave the MK for a relaxing meal...with wine!
Old 09-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #81
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Apparently Walt believed selling alcohol at Disneyland would bring in an "unsavory element," he didn't have objections to alcohol itself.

I don't see that wine and beer (this is not cheap beer they are offering) during dinner at Be Our Guest will encourage an unsavory element. Somebody who wants to get blasted probably isn't going to make a reservation at BOG and down four glasses of Chimay.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #82
Msmithmd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala
Apparently Walt believed selling alcohol at Disneyland would bring in an "unsavory element," he didn't have objections to alcohol itself.

I don't see that wine and beer (this is not cheap beer they are offering) during dinner at Be Our Guest will encourage an unsavory element. Somebody who wants to get blasted probably isn't going to make a reservation at BOG and down four glasses of Chimay.
I might be that guy. But I promise to be completely "savory" afterward.

And I'm a 40 year old parent of three, so I don't think I am likely to actually do it, but it did sound really good the way you put it.
Msmithmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #83
kidaniokeefe
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatalbie View Post
I sure do hope they install breathalyzers at the Tomorrowland Speedway.

Jim
kidaniokeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #84
ATCMickey
Flying to new highs

Last October we had an OKW stay during Food and Wine Festival. Hopped on the return bus after I and my wife and 2 kids (15 & 12) finished watching Illuminations. The bus ride back was one of the most miserable experiences we've ever had and we have been DVC owners since 1994. Full bus (e.g. people standing) and a large number of those standing had obviously been drinking all day/evening long.

The bus smelled like a brewery. I'm not easily offended, but the language was as foul as anything I've heard in many years. I really resented my kids being subjected to the language/behavior. While I was tempted to offer my opinion of the language, I have the sense to refrain from addressing a large, intoxicated group. When the bus turned, several of the intoxicated folks would tumble over onto seated passengers. The wooping and shouting was like a sports bar watching a football game. I initially wrote this off as an isolated instance, but we saw it repeatedly over several other bus trips.

I realize it's about personal responsibility. Unfortunately, some do not recognize their obligation to that responsibility or the inappropriateness of their actions. I expect this kind of atmosphere in a sports bar. I do not expect it at WDW. I would hope that Disney would recognize that the quick profit of alcohol sales may be offset by the longer term loss of those families that choose to no longer patronize their parks during these times. Everyone makes their own choice. Mine is that we just don't go to Epcot anymore during Food and Wine. If the expansion of alcohol sales continues, we may choose an alternative altogether over a Disney trip during that time. If I bring my kids to a sports bar I know what to expect. I just didn't expect to get this at WDW...now I know better. I don't fault anyone that chooses to drink. Unfortunately, there are often times with some people where the only thing that controls alcohol responsibility is the lack of availability. JMHO.

ATCMickey

Last edited by ATCMickey; 09-28-2012 at 08:25 PM.
ATCMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #85
SamSam

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCMickey View Post
Last October we had an OKW stay during Food and Wine Festival. Hopped on the return bus after I and my wife and 2 kids (15 & 12) finished watching Illuminations. The bus ride back was one of the most miserable experiences we've ever had and we have been DVC owners since 1994. Full bus (e.g. people standing) and a large number of those standing had obviously been drinking all day/evening long.

The bus smelled like a brewery. I'm not easily offended, but the language was as foul as anything I've heard in many years. I really resented my kids being subjected to the language/behavior. While I was tempted to offer my opinion of the language, I have the sense to refrain from addressing a large, intoxicated group. When the bus turned, several of the intoxicated folks would tumble over onto seated passengers. The wooping and shouting was like a sports bar watching a football game. I initially wrote this off as an isolated instance, but we saw it repeatedly over several other bus trips.

I realize it's about personal responsibility. Unfortunately, some do not recognize their obligation to that responsibility or the inappropriateness of their actions. I expect this kind of atmosphere in a sports bar. I do not expect it at WDW. I would hope that Disney would recognize that the quick profit of alcohol sales may be offset by the longer term loss of those families that choose to no longer patronize their parks during these times. Everyone makes their own choice. Mine is that we just don't go to Epcot anymore during Food and Wine. If the expansion of alcohol sales continues, we may choose an alternative altogether over a Disney trip during that time. If I bring my kids to a sports bar I know what to expect. I just didn't expect to get this at WDW...now I know better. I don't fault anyone that chooses to drink. Unfortunately, there are often times with some people where the only thing that controls alcohol responsibility is the lack of availability. JMHO.

ATCMickey
Wow. I've been going to Wine and Food Festival since it's beginning (different name at the beginning) and Dh and I have never seen that type of behavior. We do avoid weekends, but still...in all these years we just haven't encountered over the top drunks.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #86
CarolAnnC
Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syringes From PI
Likes to shoot off her glock in chat
Goin' to the Chapel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSam View Post
Wow. I've been going to Wine and Food Festival since it's beginning (different name at the beginning) and Dh and I have never seen that type of behavior. We do avoid weekends, but still...in all these years we just haven't encountered over the top drunks.
I agree. Epcot sells alcohol year round, not just during Food and Wine Festival. In my 50+ trips I have never seen groups of rowdy drunks falling over, with foul language, on the buses, nor elsewhere in the parks.

Not that I doubt this happened, but to have seen this happen repeatedly over several bus trips, well that is really unusual IMHO. Maybe it was the same group of people drunk each night? lolol

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: