DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 08:51 AM   #76
rlduvall
I just sit there and think "Oh, pretty colors."
Now maybe some-one will pick me first for dodgeball
 
rlduvall's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 3,594

I am ambivalent about it - I truly see both sides of the issue. BUT, a PP mentioned that you don't see falling down drunks in EPCOT, DHS or AK and they all serve alcohol. Well, I disagree to a point.

Now let me clarify that I drink socially, albeit rarely anymore, and have no issues with people drinking. But the last couple of years that I have been at EPCOT some of these "Drinking Around the World" groups have started to get out of hand. For one thing, there are so many more groups than there used to be and secondly, I have never been during F&W so it's not "just" during that time of the year. Again, I'm not a puritan, but by the time these groups hit a few countries, they are starting to get loud and sometimes obnoxious. I really wish Disney would monitor that a little better.
__________________

rlduvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #77
bwang123
Posts: 1,457,177,981
 
bwang123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlduvall View Post
I am ambivalent about it - I truly see both sides of the issue. BUT, a PP mentioned that you don't see falling down drunks in EPCOT, DHS or AK and they all serve alcohol. Well, I disagree to a point.

Now let me clarify that I drink socially, albeit rarely anymore, and have no issues with people drinking. But the last couple of years that I have been at EPCOT some of these "Drinking Around the World" groups have started to get out of hand. For one thing, there are so many more groups than there used to be and secondly, I have never been during F&W so it's not "just" during that time of the year. Again, I'm not a puritan, but by the time these groups hit a few countries, they are starting to get loud and sometimes obnoxious. I really wish Disney would monitor that a little better.
"Drinking Around the Magic Kingdom" will be a very short sober adventure.
__________________
OCT '15 | MAY '15 AKV | OCT '13 VWL (MNSSHP) | MAY '13 BWV | DEC '12 SSR/AKV | MAR '12 ASM/ASSp/BLT | MAR '11 POFQ/CBR | MAY '08 CS | '95 DL Offsite | '93 & '94 DW Offiste

bwang123 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #78
rlduvall
I just sit there and think "Oh, pretty colors."
Now maybe some-one will pick me first for dodgeball
 
rlduvall's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 3,594

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwang123 View Post
"Drinking Around the Magic Kingdom" will be a very short sober adventure.
Good point.
__________________

rlduvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #79
scottashackleton
Mouseketeer
 
scottashackleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micca View Post
This decision has no impact on me or my family whatsoever. That will probably be the case for just about everyone. Let's guesstimate...

How many people in the MK on any given day eat at one specific restaurant?

What are the number of people who would dine at BOG?

What number of those people will order beer or wine?

Of those people, how many will drink to the point of noticeable excess?

One other variable is the people who have been smuggling in alcohol for years.

Another variable is the people who have already been drinking when they arrive at MK.

Another variable is how many people have an unpleasant experience with someone who has over-imbibed?

Let's just hope the revenue generated from this will result in some MK park improvements
Agreed. I think people are overreacting. The only thing I would consider is if it was meant to be a dry park, then keep it that way. I think more people would have an issue with that than people being drunk and ruining their visit... That's a long shot.
scottashackleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #80
kbeam
Don't get saucy with me, Bernaise.
 
kbeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 279

FINALLY! It's really been a drag having to leave the MK for a relaxing meal...with wine!
__________________
kbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #81
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate
 
TDC Nala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far enough outside the Beltway
Posts: 59,266
DISboards Moderator

Apparently Walt believed selling alcohol at Disneyland would bring in an "unsavory element," he didn't have objections to alcohol itself.

I don't see that wine and beer (this is not cheap beer they are offering) during dinner at Be Our Guest will encourage an unsavory element. Somebody who wants to get blasted probably isn't going to make a reservation at BOG and down four glasses of Chimay.
__________________
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #82
Msmithmd
DIS Veteran
 
Msmithmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 974

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala
Apparently Walt believed selling alcohol at Disneyland would bring in an "unsavory element," he didn't have objections to alcohol itself.

I don't see that wine and beer (this is not cheap beer they are offering) during dinner at Be Our Guest will encourage an unsavory element. Somebody who wants to get blasted probably isn't going to make a reservation at BOG and down four glasses of Chimay.
I might be that guy. But I promise to be completely "savory" afterward.

And I'm a 40 year old parent of three, so I don't think I am likely to actually do it, but it did sound really good the way you put it.
Msmithmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #83
kidaniokeefe
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central PA
Posts: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatalbie View Post
I sure do hope they install breathalyzers at the Tomorrowland Speedway.

Jim
kidaniokeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #84
ATCMickey
Flying to new highs
 
ATCMickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 120

Last October we had an OKW stay during Food and Wine Festival. Hopped on the return bus after I and my wife and 2 kids (15 & 12) finished watching Illuminations. The bus ride back was one of the most miserable experiences we've ever had and we have been DVC owners since 1994. Full bus (e.g. people standing) and a large number of those standing had obviously been drinking all day/evening long.

The bus smelled like a brewery. I'm not easily offended, but the language was as foul as anything I've heard in many years. I really resented my kids being subjected to the language/behavior. While I was tempted to offer my opinion of the language, I have the sense to refrain from addressing a large, intoxicated group. When the bus turned, several of the intoxicated folks would tumble over onto seated passengers. The wooping and shouting was like a sports bar watching a football game. I initially wrote this off as an isolated instance, but we saw it repeatedly over several other bus trips.

I realize it's about personal responsibility. Unfortunately, some do not recognize their obligation to that responsibility or the inappropriateness of their actions. I expect this kind of atmosphere in a sports bar. I do not expect it at WDW. I would hope that Disney would recognize that the quick profit of alcohol sales may be offset by the longer term loss of those families that choose to no longer patronize their parks during these times. Everyone makes their own choice. Mine is that we just don't go to Epcot anymore during Food and Wine. If the expansion of alcohol sales continues, we may choose an alternative altogether over a Disney trip during that time. If I bring my kids to a sports bar I know what to expect. I just didn't expect to get this at WDW...now I know better. I don't fault anyone that chooses to drink. Unfortunately, there are often times with some people where the only thing that controls alcohol responsibility is the lack of availability. JMHO.

ATCMickey
__________________


Last edited by ATCMickey; 09-28-2012 at 08:25 PM.
ATCMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #85
SamSam

DIS Veteran
 
SamSam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Kansas
Posts: 6,985

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCMickey View Post
Last October we had an OKW stay during Food and Wine Festival. Hopped on the return bus after I and my wife and 2 kids (15 & 12) finished watching Illuminations. The bus ride back was one of the most miserable experiences we've ever had and we have been DVC owners since 1994. Full bus (e.g. people standing) and a large number of those standing had obviously been drinking all day/evening long.

The bus smelled like a brewery. I'm not easily offended, but the language was as foul as anything I've heard in many years. I really resented my kids being subjected to the language/behavior. While I was tempted to offer my opinion of the language, I have the sense to refrain from addressing a large, intoxicated group. When the bus turned, several of the intoxicated folks would tumble over onto seated passengers. The wooping and shouting was like a sports bar watching a football game. I initially wrote this off as an isolated instance, but we saw it repeatedly over several other bus trips.

I realize it's about personal responsibility. Unfortunately, some do not recognize their obligation to that responsibility or the inappropriateness of their actions. I expect this kind of atmosphere in a sports bar. I do not expect it at WDW. I would hope that Disney would recognize that the quick profit of alcohol sales may be offset by the longer term loss of those families that choose to no longer patronize their parks during these times. Everyone makes their own choice. Mine is that we just don't go to Epcot anymore during Food and Wine. If the expansion of alcohol sales continues, we may choose an alternative altogether over a Disney trip during that time. If I bring my kids to a sports bar I know what to expect. I just didn't expect to get this at WDW...now I know better. I don't fault anyone that chooses to drink. Unfortunately, there are often times with some people where the only thing that controls alcohol responsibility is the lack of availability. JMHO.

ATCMickey
Wow. I've been going to Wine and Food Festival since it's beginning (different name at the beginning) and Dh and I have never seen that type of behavior. We do avoid weekends, but still...in all these years we just haven't encountered over the top drunks.
__________________
SamSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #86
CarolAnnC
Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syringes From PI
Likes to shoot off her glock in chat
Goin' to the Chapel
 
CarolAnnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 13,532

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSam View Post
Wow. I've been going to Wine and Food Festival since it's beginning (different name at the beginning) and Dh and I have never seen that type of behavior. We do avoid weekends, but still...in all these years we just haven't encountered over the top drunks.
I agree. Epcot sells alcohol year round, not just during Food and Wine Festival. In my 50+ trips I have never seen groups of rowdy drunks falling over, with foul language, on the buses, nor elsewhere in the parks.

Not that I doubt this happened, but to have seen this happen repeatedly over several bus trips, well that is really unusual IMHO. Maybe it was the same group of people drunk each night? lolol
__________________
CarolAnnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.