Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #286
MJMcBride
Barely lost is barely found

Its unlikely the lion king show will be gone permanently

Avatar is the number one movie all time because of a gimmick. Without it it would have been popular but not like it was

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom
MJMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #287
Dizzytime
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iuki View Post
We were at AK this morning and saw The Lion King show. The CM said that the show will be relocated somewhere in Africa, but that the show is their biggest attraction and would not do away with it.

Thanks for that!!! iuki!!
Dizzytime is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #288
michelleiada
DIS Veteran

It's a great show and hugely popular. It would be awful if it went away.

2012 BECAME DVC MEMBER AT BCV!

michelleiada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:02 AM   #289
Damien2213
Mouseketeer

I'm probably one of the few that enjoyed the Lion King show that was replaced in Magic Kingdom better than the Festival of the Lion King. Not that Festival was a bad show I just liked the other one better.
Damien2213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #290
rustyanchor
Mouseketeer

This sucks. From the sounds of things, FotLK will be closed when I am visiting in February. I just saw the show for the first time on my visit this year and LOVED it... was really looking forward to seeing it again. Oh well. One of the few drawbacks of always visiting during off-season, sometimes they are refurbing (or closing, or moving) my favorite attractions.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #291
MJMcBride

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyanchor
This sucks. From the sounds of things, FotLK will be closed when I am visiting in February. I just saw the show for the first time on my visit this year and LOVED it... was really looking forward to seeing it again. Oh well. One of the few drawbacks of always visiting during off-season, sometimes they are refurbing (or closing, or moving) my favorite attractions.
They haven't announced anything yet. The most recent thing I heard was the lion king show will not be closing after all.

I guess we have to wait and see

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Old 10-14-2012, 03:16 PM   #292
rustyanchor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMcBride View Post
They haven't announced anything yet. The most recent thing I heard was the lion king show will not be closing after all.

I guess we have to wait and see
I hope that's true! Thanks for the info.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #293
Goldilocks07
DIS Veteran

ARE THEY KIDDING?
That is one of the few and best things going on in AK! I love that show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Hattered View Post
From Screamscape this morning:

Confirmed - (8/10/12) The latest buzz from the Rhinos is that the Festival of the Lion King show is expected to close in January to make way for Avatar. The long term plan is to move to into a new theater somewhere, but it sounds like the show will close down completely long before this happens.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:33 AM   #294
Albytaps
Mickey's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Its unlikely the lion king show will be gone permanently

Avatar is the number one movie all time because of a gimmick. Without it it would have been popular but not like it was
Just wondering what you're talking about? I don't want to argue because I don't think Avatar was the best movie ever but I do like the movie. Is it 3D that you are talking about? If so I don't agree with your statement because the movie is good without it, but it is better (IMO) with it. After owning a 3D TV for over a month now, I don't think it is a gimmick. It is nice to have the option to watch some things in 3D. It doesn't mean you have to watch everything in 3D, but to have that option is a very fun thing.

If 3D was a gimmick, wouldn't Disney have stopped putting out 3D attractions? Remember Magic Journeys? How many 3D attractions have been out and stayed out since then? Sure many people may not be thrilled with 3D or even watch 3D (blind in 1 eye) but those that do enjoy it would enjoy the option of seeing a film in 3D over 2D.

What gives? I think there is too much Avatar hate on this thread. The movie is fine. Is it Harry Potter? No. However, there could be an amazing looking themed world made from the movie... as well as some amazing attractions. Give it a chance.

If the hate comes from FotLK being taken down, then you have the wrong reason to hate it in the first place.

(this whole post was not entirely directed at you McBride )

WE LOVE DISNEY

Me DW DD DD DD DD

Albytaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:44 AM   #295
tianna26
Mouseketeer

personally i was looking forward to the lion king show since i have never seen it before ill pass on avatar stuff unless its avatar the last airbender loved tha show hate the movie lol but seeing as thats from nick never happen
Old 10-16-2012, 06:36 AM   #296
Fantasmiss
DIS Veteran

Personally, I don't hate Avatar and I don't like FotLK, i just wish they'd have chosen to make an land with a movie/theme I like or at least could get a little excited about. Failing that, a theme that most people would get a little excited about. When that's not even happening I'm going to hope the Avatar plans get cancelled and that something that at least most people will be excited about will take it's place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albytaps View Post
Just wondering what you're talking about? I don't want to argue because I don't think Avatar was the best movie ever but I do like the movie. Is it 3D that you are talking about? If so I don't agree with your statement because the movie is good without it, but it is better (IMO) with it. After owning a 3D TV for over a month now, I don't think it is a gimmick. It is nice to have the option to watch some things in 3D. It doesn't mean you have to watch everything in 3D, but to have that option is a very fun thing.

If 3D was a gimmick, wouldn't Disney have stopped putting out 3D attractions? Remember Magic Journeys? How many 3D attractions have been out and stayed out since then? Sure many people may not be thrilled with 3D or even watch 3D (blind in 1 eye) but those that do enjoy it would enjoy the option of seeing a film in 3D over 2D.

What gives? I think there is too much Avatar hate on this thread. The movie is fine. Is it Harry Potter? No. However, there could be an amazing looking themed world made from the movie... as well as some amazing attractions. Give it a chance.

If the hate comes from FotLK being taken down, then you have the wrong reason to hate it in the first place.

May 2008 - WDW - All Star Sports - 2 weeks
Jan 2009 - WDW - All Star Music + All Star Movies - 2 weeks - birthday trip
Feb/Mar 2010 - DLP - Santa Fe - 6 days
Jan 2011 - WDW - All Star Movies & Pop Century - 17 days - birthday trip
May 2011 - WDW - All Star Sports - 17 days - anniversary trip
Nov 2011 - DLP - Hotel Cheyenne - 6 days
Oct/Nov 2012 - WDW - All Star Sports+Art of Animation - 3 weeks - 10th Disney Trip
Oct/Nov 2013 - WDW - All Star Sports - 25 days - birthday trip
MAR 2014 - DLP - Hotel Cheyenne - 5 days- birthday trip

MAY 2014 - WDW - ALL STAR SPORTS - 17 DAYS - ANNIVERSARY TRIP!

Fantasmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #297
MJMcBride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albytaps

But that's the problem. it's not Harry Potter. Potter will still be relevant 20 years. I suspect avatar will not.

I have no issue with the movie. It was okay. But I wouldn't build the land the theoretically coul last for 50 years on the concept. I think it's more Matrix the Star Wars

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Old 10-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #298
twebber55
DIS Veteran

well i look at it this way...
if disney came out and said we are teaming up with j cameron for a new world that is mythical with bioluminescence lighting with new and exciting creatures we would all thank this will be awesome but because there is a movie attached to it that s not disney some people (not as many as you think) are up in arms about it...i think this project, if ever built, wil be about the land and not the story
i dont know about you but i like the ideas im hearing in terms of imax screens and motorbike coaster through the halleluiah mountains
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #299
DanBoris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
But that's the problem. it's not Harry Potter. Potter will still be relevant 20 years. I suspect avatar will not.

I have no issue with the movie. It was okay. But I wouldn't build the land the theoretically coul last for 50 years on the concept. I think it's more Matrix the Star Wars
How relevant is Song of the South today? Yet, Splash Mountain is still a very popular attraction.
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #300
katt789
DIS Veteran

In terms of FOTLK closing, as of today; here are my observations: Avatarland was put on "indefinite hold" giving me hope that FOTLK might not close.

As of yesterday they posted auditons for the singers, with callbacks in late Nov. It would be pointless to hire new singers to train them and have them do one month of the show before it closes...correct?
Looks like FOTLK will not be closing after all?

Instagram:Kattwyllie
Twitter: KattWy

katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: