Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
riley2008
DIS Veteran

Boarding and rain???

We will be boarding the Magic in Galveston tomorrow and looks like it'll be raining.

I'm packing raincoats and an umbrella so we an schlep across the street from the parking area.

I'm guessing it's not covered as you board. Also, I understand that typically most people head up to the open decks - what happens when it's raining?

Also, what about the Sail Away Party?

Anyone experienced a rainy day?

First trip to WDW - August '08 ASM family suite
Wilderness Lodge July '09
(wondering when we'll get to go again!)
DCL, Magic from Galveston 9/2012
riley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
shoes99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by riley2008 View Post
We will be boarding the Magic in Galveston tomorrow and looks like it'll be raining.

I'm packing raincoats and an umbrella so we an schlep across the street from the parking area.

I'm guessing it's not covered as you board. Also, I understand that typically most people head up to the open decks - what happens when it's raining?

If it is pouring rain they will move the Sail Away Party inside to the atrium.

shoes99 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
Ikaikalani
Tee-Eye-double Guh-err

On a good note, it looks like the weather clears up on Sunday and beyond. have a great time!
Old 09-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #4
jenandjuice
Mouseketeer

Quote:

So glad you posted this, I was wondering the same thing!
jenandjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
Callymum
DIS Veteran

Lat October on the Dream we had a Storm on the Embarkation Day and it got worse as the night went on. The Sail away party was cancelled, a small one inside the Atrium. We had to stay in port until the next morning, we left port about 6am.

The usual fun still continued inside the ship,shows, food, dinner that evening.
Callymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #6
kcashner
DIS Veteran

When the weather is nasty, they do what they can...cruise staff will sometimes add more activities (since they know we won't be at the pools, etc.) Sail Away becomes a smaller celebration in the atrium. Depending on how bad it is, they may open Lumiere's for lunch (if Topsiders can't be used due to storm).

I've seen decks 9 and 10 totally closed off due to weather. This is rare, but happens. Bottom line--they adjust and you have a great cruise!

Sorry, I don't know anything about boarding at Galveston.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

We were down in Galveston last weekend to watch the Magic leave. If you drop everyone and your luggage at Terminal 2, they can stand under a covered area to wait for the person parking to get back, but yes, the dash across the street and across the drop off lines is going to be soggy if it's raining. Once into the terminal though, the gangway is all enclosed, so you won't get wet getting onto the ship.

Jenny & Scott
2000-POFQ, 2005-FW, 2006-FW, 2008-FW, Feb 2009-CBR/POFQ, Sept 2009-ASM,2010 BWI/WL/AKL/DCL Magic Western, July 2011 BWI/DCL Dream, Nov 2011 FW/AKL, May 2012 GF/DCL Fantasy-Eastern/BWI, Oct 2012 DCL Magic-Western, Feb 2013 DCL Magic-Cozumel, Apr 2013 DCL Magic-CC/WDW/KW, Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder-Bahamas, Dec 2013 - DCL Wonder-NYE-Cozumel, March 2014 - DCL Magic-4 night, Patiently waiting for: Nov 2014-Dream, Nov 2015- DCL Wonder B2B-Western & Bahamas-Galveston, DCL Wonder 2015 NYE Cruise-Bahamas-Galveston
ukintheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
riley2008
DIS Veteran

Thanks all. Great info about drop off. The family going with us already has 6 suitcases between the 4 of them and will add one more tonight along with their carry-ons. I hate wet bags - last time I waterproofed anything was years ago. Wish I had done that last week. Shouldn't be too bad if we drop off and one person run back.

24 hours till estimated port arrival and counting....

First trip to WDW - August '08 ASM family suite
Wilderness Lodge July '09
(wondering when we'll get to go again!)
DCL, Magic from Galveston 9/2012
riley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #9
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:

. . . I hate wet bags - last time I waterproofed anything was years ago. Wish I had done that last week. Shouldn't be too bad if we drop off and one person run back. . .
You might want to line your suitcases with plastic before packing, especially if you have soft-sided luggage. I use clean trash bags to keep the contents dry.

After you give your luggage to the porters, the bags could sit on the dock (stacked on the carts to be moved by forklift) in the rain while awaiting to be loaded.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #10
It'sWDW4me
Fairly new... still gets a tag :)
HOLD THE PHONE!
I think it's easier to reason with a CHIMPANZEE than to reason with a tween/early teen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
You might want to line your suitcases with plastic before packing, especially if you have soft-sided luggage. I use clean trash bags to keep the contents dry.

After you give your luggage to the porters, the bags could sit on the dock (stacked on the carts to be moved by forklift) in the rain while awaiting to be loaded.

Woody
I was JUST going to post this.

On 8/18, while we were waiting for the shuttle from Budget to the port, the skies opened up with a torrential rain. By the time all the suitcases were moved underneath the overhang, the contents were SOAKED. I lost about a third of the FE gifts I had spent weeks making.

Hard lesson learned. I will forevermore line my suitcases with plastic!

WDW Commando Member #120

Me; DS (18); Bear (7); Cosmo (7? He's a stray who found his home with us)

No more tickers for a very long while.

March 1986 - offsite; March 2002 - offsite; August 2006 - POP; August 2007 - OKW (free upgrade from ASMo!); August 2008 - POR; August 2010 - CBR ; August 2012 - DCL's Fantasy ; July 2013 - POP & 1st solo trip!
It'sWDW4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: