DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #16
bwvBound
DVC SSR & other timeshare

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRobin View Post
Not exactly. The member who got the tree view at BWV pool / garden and complains is whining, and has forgotten / is unaware / doesn't care about the fact that DVC is 96% occupied, on average, so someone always gets the tree view. It's your turn, live with it.

The family who shows up with infants who need to be bathed in a tub are not whining.
Sigh. So I s'pose I'm just whining when I don't get the jetted tub I expected. Mine doesn't qualify as a "need" but that tub is a certain part of my expectations from a 1BR or larger unit.

I'll admit it, "I'm still carrying a grudge about getting the HA unit on the Club Level at AKV." I felt I should have received a few points back for having to work around the issues of that room. Yep, still whining ... sigh. Sorry!
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #17
cseca
My legs are wimpy but my will is stronger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRobin View Post

The family who shows up with infants who need to be bathed in a tub are not whining.
Thank you.
When it was just us adults it wouldn't have bothered us. But when you have infants to clean during a 7 night stay it will be a challenge.
Unless you don't mind bathing your babies in the sink or something...
I don't think it is an unusual or a whining request. Just as a handicapped person would want to have a handicapped room to function or they would have trouble with the tub.

From what I remembered, if you get an HA room and you don't need it if you ask to be moved they will try to accommodate you without charging the "move" fee. It might not be the next day but they could notify you when it's available.
cseca is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2012, 05:24 AM   #18
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
Once again the DIS shoes it's respect and tolerance

For those of you who need these rooms realize that the whining represents a vocal minority. Sorry
Not wanting a HC villa has nothing to do with disrespect, IMO. While I realize that the resort has to assign these rooms to someone once a certain occupancy is reached, personally I'd rather not be at WDW than be in one if I don't need it otherwise. It's no different than requesting a lockoff or non lockoff, building area or view. There are many reasons that people find them unacceptable, the fall hazard and lack of tub are our two. However, they have to go to someone so if that has to be me on arrival, I'll deal with it. Making a scene at the front desk is even more unreasonable. To suggest that making this (or any request) a priority is being petty and insensitive (if I read your intent correctly) to those that need a HC is an unreasonable position, IMO. I believe that anyone who would chose to be offended in this situation is simply looking for an excuse to do so.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #19
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennylyn_b View Post
What's the difference? Not being snarky I don't know and am concerned since we have to have a tub to bathe our DD who will be 2. We are staying in a studio.
I've only stayed in one HA room, a studio at BWV, so I don't know how much of this applies to studios at other resorts. Our HA studio at BWV had a roll-in shower instead of a tub. You have to stand at the very back of the shower and angle the water that direction to prevent the floor getting soaked. There is no storage space in the bathroom so you have to store your toiletries outside the bathroom and carry things in and out as you need them. There was no real closet. There was a small armoire already filled with the vacuum cleaner, pack 'n' play and ironing board so we had to unload all that heavy stuff and store it in the corner of the room to make space for our clothes. (Not very magical looking at a vacuum cleaner all week!) There is no safe in the room.

All in all, the room was very inconvenient. There was no reason that I could see for the lack of storage space in the bathroom or the lack of a wall safe or a larger armoire with room for clothes and other things. We dealt with it but I was disappointed to see that those who really do need an HA room would have to deal with something like this, especially having to empty the closet of several large heavy items in order to hang up their clothes.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #20
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
I s'pose I'm just whining when I don't get the jetted tub I expected.
I don't think this should be an issue in the HA rooms. The 1BRs and larger should still have the separate tub---at least, I'm quite sure our HA 1BR at OKW had one, because we used it. The studios wouldn't have it either way.

Quote:
There was no reason that I could see for the lack of storage space in the bathroom
Someone in a chair using the sink would need the space under the sink clear, at the very least. I suspect that's the reason for most of the differences.

Perhaps it's because I've never done a studio (Accessible or not), but at least in the 1BR, it was at most a minor inconvenience.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #21
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

I have to agree with others that I haven't seen anything inappropriate in the comments on this thread.

I would certainly never advocate that Disney decrease the number of HA rooms they build, or not have accommodations available for those who need them. That's not what's being suggested here.

The solution to this entire issue is for Disney to make these rooms a true booking category in every sense. This would make it easier for those who need the rooms to book them. In cases where there are only HA rooms available, it isn't the last one to check in who gets it, it's the member who understood up front when they booked that they'd be in a HA room. Anyone who was forced to book a HA because it was the only available room should automatically have a waitlist generated to move them into a non-HA if it became available. That would free up the HA room for a late-booker with a special need.

In the meantime, I'll continue to ask that it be added as a request, and ask to be moved if one is assigned. Like the previous poster said, I'd never make a big deal out of it at the desk, but I do view it as a less desirable room when it isn't needed. It's less of an issue for us when we're in a studio as we don't have kids, and won't use a studio tub for baths. But in a one-bedroom or larger, we use the Jacuzzi very often and would be disppointed not to have it. It's become part of the vacation experience for us, since we don't have one at home.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #22
bwvBound
DVC SSR & other timeshare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
I don't think this should be an issue in the HA rooms. The 1BRs and larger should still have the separate tub---at least, I'm quite sure our HA 1BR at OKW had one, because we used it.
The HA 1BR we were assigned at AKV Club level did not have any tub. It also lacked for storage: no shelves or cubbies under the sink, no hooks on the bathroom door for hanging robes, etc. It appeared as if the only requirement observed was to make everything reachable from a chair. There was no thought that the unit might have a mix of both walking and rolling occupants.

For us, working around the issues of the room became a chore, especially with respect to water all over the bathroom floor. We had towels everywhere trying to use them as levies (preventing the water from covering the entire bathroom) and too few places to hang them to dry. In short, we had ourselves a slip'n'fall risk on the wet tile!

Oops. There I go whining again. Sorry ... Yes, still carrying that stupid grudge.

On the bright side, I have moved AKV Club Level to the "been there, done that," column. Given the limited number of units and high odds of getting the HA unit, I never need to even think about booking Club again. Silver lining!
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #23
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
I don't think this should be an issue in the HA rooms. The 1BRs and larger should still have the separate tub---at least, I'm quite sure our HA 1BR at OKW had one, because we used it. The studios wouldn't have it either way.
Two of the AKV Concierge 1BRs are HA. One of those two has a roll-in shower instead of a tub. So there is a 20% chance of getting a room without a whirlpool tub in you book an AKV Concierge 1BR. One of the main reasons we splurge and book a 1BR instead of a studio is to get a whirlpool tub so I would be unhappy to get that room. When we stayed AKV Concierge we booked a studio. I didn't want to pay extra for a 1BR because of the whirlpool tub and risk not getting it.

ETA: Room 5319 in Jambo House (Savanna View on the Kudu Trail facing Arusha) is the other 1BR in Jambo House that has a roll-in shower and no tub. This problem may be unique to Jambo House since the 1BRs there do not have a separate shower stall. There isn't room for both a roll-in shower and a tub so to put in the roll-in shower to make the room HA, the tub had to go.

Quote:
Someone in a chair using the sink would need the space under the sink clear, at the very least. I suspect that's the reason for most of the differences.
I agree about the space under the sink but why no shelves or cubby holes? There is a tiny shelf above the sink (that would probably not be easily accessible to someone in a wheelchair by the way) that could hold two or three small items (like deodorant or a tube of toothpaste) but that's it. There is plenty of space in that bathroom to put up some handy shelves at an accessible height. We ended up bringing in the little table from the balcony, cleaning it up and draping a towel over it so we could leave a few things in the bathroom.

As I said, I was disappointed to see how little effort was put into making that room "accessible".

Last edited by LisaS; 09-28-2012 at 12:42 PM.
LisaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #24
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
This problem may be unique to Jambo House since the 1BRs there do not have a separate shower stall.
I can't think of any other 1BRs that did not have them separate, but I didn't know the shower/tub was combined at Jambo, so I could be wrong about other locations too!

Quote:
The solution to this entire issue is for Disney to make these rooms a true booking category in every sense.
That does make a lot of sense (and Wyndham's on-line reservation system does this.)
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #25
montrealdisneylovers
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdsOfPreyDave View Post
I have to agree with others that I haven't seen anything inappropriate in the comments on this thread.

I would certainly never advocate that Disney decrease the number of HA rooms they build, or not have accommodations available for those who need them. That's not what's being suggested here.

The solution to this entire issue is for Disney to make these rooms a true booking category in every sense. This would make it easier for those who need the rooms to book them. In cases where there are only HA rooms available, it isn't the last one to check in who gets it, it's the member who understood up front when they booked that they'd be in a HA room. Anyone who was forced to book a HA because it was the only available room should automatically have a waitlist generated to move them into a non-HA if it became available. That would free up the HA room for a late-booker with a special need.In the meantime, I'll continue to ask that it be added as a request, and ask to be moved if one is assigned. Like the previous poster said, I'd never make a big deal out of it at the desk, but I do view it as a less desirable room when it isn't needed. It's less of an issue for us when we're in a studio as we don't have kids, and won't use a studio tub for baths. But in a one-bedroom or larger, we use the Jacuzzi very often and would be disppointed not to have it. It's become part of the vacation experience for us, since we don't have one at home.
You beat me to it--exactly what I was thinking--although you probably worded it much better than I could have. Make it a booking category and the problem is solved
montrealdisneylovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #26
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

If they made it a booking category, that would just add yet another facet to the waitlist. Look at the "mess" at AKV already when it comes to a waitlist. Say you want ANY 2BR at AKV that comes available. Here are your options:

Value 2BR
Concierge 2BR
Standard 2BR-Jambo
Standard 2BR Dedicated-Kidani
Standard 2BR Lock-Off-Kidani
Savanna 2BR-Jambo
Savanna 2BR Dedicated-Kidani
Savanna 2BR Lock-off-Kidani

...so far, that's EIGHT choices and you only get to pick TWO...

Throw HA into the mix and now there are SIXTEEN options...still can only pick two.

BLT
2BR Dedicated Std
2BR Lock-off Std
2BR Dedicated LV
2BR Lock-off LV
2BR Dedicated TPV
2BR Lock-off TPV

...there's 6, so if you want to waitlist BLT for ANY 2BR, you can only pick two. Your available inventory would decrease if all of the HA units were excluded because they'd be a separate category.

I agree that I would not want a HA villa, but if it came down to needing a waitlist to fill, I would take it. I'm on the WL right now for a 2BR at HHI. I certainly don't want a HA unit, but if that's what fills my WL, then so be it.

I guess I don't see why the "non-HA" request is such a big deal for MS. They can handle the other requests such as "close to elevator/lobby" or "high-floor"...why is non-HA such an issue?

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV
kristenrice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #27
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenrice View Post
If they made it a booking category, that would just add yet another facet to the waitlist. Look at the "mess" at AKV already when it comes to a waitlist. Say you want ANY 2BR at AKV that comes available. Here are your options:

Value 2BR
Concierge 2BR
Standard 2BR-Jambo
Standard 2BR Dedicated-Kidani
Standard 2BR Lock-Off-Kidani
Savanna 2BR-Jambo
Savanna 2BR Dedicated-Kidani
Savanna 2BR Lock-off-Kidani

...so far, that's EIGHT choices and you only get to pick TWO...

Throw HA into the mix and now there are SIXTEEN options...still can only pick two.

BLT
2BR Dedicated Std
2BR Lock-off Std
2BR Dedicated LV
2BR Lock-off LV
2BR Dedicated TPV
2BR Lock-off TPV

...there's 6, so if you want to waitlist BLT for ANY 2BR, you can only pick two. Your available inventory would decrease if all of the HA units were excluded because they'd be a separate category.

I agree that I would not want a HA villa, but if it came down to needing a waitlist to fill, I would take it. I'm on the WL right now for a 2BR at HHI. I certainly don't want a HA unit, but if that's what fills my WL, then so be it.

I guess I don't see why the "non-HA" request is such a big deal for MS. They can handle the other requests such as "close to elevator/lobby" or "high-floor"...why is non-HA such an issue?
Maybe but not necessarily. I was already going to post when I got home that if they mad HC a separate category, they'd likely remove some of the other designations. Likely no more dedicated vs lockoff option for the 2 BR choice. It makes booking them easier, booking to not get HC easier and tells those that book a HC because that's all that's available, what they have so they can make the choice. They really have to manage the inventory separately anyway. There's no reason they can't change the wait list limitations and they really should change them just for the example you gave.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:03 PM   #28
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Maybe but not necessarily. I was already going to post when I got home that if they mad HC a separate category, they'd likely remove some of the other designations. Likely no more dedicated vs lockoff option for the 2 BR choice. It makes booking them easier, booking to not get HC easier and tells those that book a HC because that's all that's available, what they have so they can make the choice. They really have to manage the inventory separately anyway. There's no reason they can't change the wait list limitations and they really should change them just for the example you gave.
I agree. The pendulum swung much too far when they changed the waitlist rules. "Any two bedroom" or even something more complex like "Any one bedroom or smaller" should be a valid waitlist.

A request is still a request, and if HA isn't a booking category, it's still going to be the family with the latest flight into Orlando that gets that room when the supply exceeds the number of bookings for which there's a need.

Last edited by BirdsOfPreyDave; 09-28-2012 at 07:34 PM.
BirdsOfPreyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #29
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Maybe it's not a non-request due to the March law change? Do we know for sure that they are still giving HC rooms out if not requested?

Bill

disneynutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #30
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Maybe it's not a non-request due to the March law change? Do we know for sure that they are still giving HC rooms out if not requested?

Bill
Yes, they are not required to hold them only for those that want/need them, they are only required to book them last.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: