Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 09:10 AM   #46
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties View Post
Scruff her(It doesn't hurt, actually calms the cat)...Turn the carrier so that the door is facing up and drop her in.

ETA-Don't actually drop her...Lower her LOL
Yes! Put her in backwards do she can't see what you're doing. I usually set the carrier up on the side as well. Getting her in from it laying down never works.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #47
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Won't help today, but...Maybe start leaving the carrier out, all the time. Put some comfy bedding, toys, occasional treat in there. Make it more kitty's extra place to relax, rather than dreaded shot transportation.

TY Kook
Trip planning is half the fun! Ad astra per aspera ~Ginny~
gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #48
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvwinnie View Post
We titer because we worry about the risks of over vaccinating. Rabies especially. Does your state still require it yearly? I thought they all finally came over to three years.
Texas says every 1-3 years depending on the shot, but the tag I get from the vet says it expires in a year.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #49
kamik86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynne View Post
Won't help today, but...Maybe start leaving the carrier out, all the time. Put some comfy bedding, toys, occasional treat in there. Make it more kitty's extra place to relax, rather than dreaded shot transportation.
This is what we did. My oldest cat loves his carriers. Even the little one we brought him home in that I have no idea how he fits into it (my Cat is a BIG cat and is a bit chubby too so he is 15 lbs, the carrier is only rated for 10 lbs and is only about half his height yet he fits in it)

My littler kitties are quite as fond of it but will still walk in if we put it in front of them.

My first cat that we got as an older cat and not a kitten would run the other way and would scratch... For her the cardboard carriers you get when you adopt a cat (also seen in stores a few times) are better because they open from the whole top of the carrier and its easier to scruff and drop in (where with the normal carriers with the front door you still have to stuff in their legs)
Old 09-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #50
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Rabies are required for all cats, indoor and outdoor, in my area. If you cat, God forbid, should bite somebody, they would quarantine him/her if she doesn't have rabies shot. You don't want to go through that.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #51
luvwinnie
And how are YOU feeling?
My happy thought: Sitting on Main Street eating ice cream.
Can't tell the difference between Burger King and Wendys

Just an FYI: the one yr and three yr shots are exactly the same.
luvwinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #52
torinsmom
I have someone coming to scoop
I don't know how a man could wear them

When my cats go under the bed and I want them out, I spray air freshener under there and they skedaddle!

I wish I didn't have to get rabies for my cats. One of them had hives last time he got him. He has an appt. Friday to get it again. We are hoping it was the preservative that caused the hives and that he won't have them with the 1 year.
August 3-11, 2008--Pop Century Grand Gathering
July 6-13, 2009--Universal Studios
June 16-25 2010--Universal AND Disney for 10 days (Emerald Island)
August 10-20 2011--Universal and Disney(Indian Creek)
July 6-14 2012--Universal and Disney--doing YES again!
July 14-21 2013--Universal and Disney with family
torinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #53
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Heres' some food for thought...This week 6 kittens are suspected of having rabies here in the Atlanta area. They are all from the same litter. Some women gave them away at a local Walmart. It was discovered when 2 kittens were taken to a local emergency vet because they were sick. To my knowledge the other 4 have not been identified. Can you imagine finding out you have a rabid kitten in your house? I wonder if they got it from their mother? I would't think they had ALLL been bitten by a wild aniimal.

Anyway, back to the OP--do you think your vet might possibly give you medicine to treat the ear mites without going in for an exam? Hmmm, maybe not if it's been a long time since you were in. Just an idea...
Old 09-26-2012, 07:19 PM   #54
torinsmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvwinnie View Post
Just an FYI: the one yr and three yr shots are exactly the same.
Not necessarily. The one year vaccine my vet uses is non-adjuvated(Purevax). I have switched to this vaccine to try and reduce the risk of vaccine related problems. It still worries me, but the law is the law. The only way to avoid it is to report to the county that the pet has died. I have bee tempted to do this with my Bengal because of his last reaction.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:15 AM   #55
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by torinsmom View Post
Not necessarily. The one year vaccine my vet uses is non-adjuvated(Purevax). I have switched to this vaccine to try and reduce the risk of vaccine related problems. It still worries me, but the law is the law. The only way to avoid it is to report to the county that the pet has died. I have bee tempted to do this with my Bengal because of his last reaction.
Yes, our vet also now used this vaccine. Too many problems from the other one.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:15 AM   #56
cbg1027
I knew I had converted him when he started pointing out hidden Mickeys to me!

I have stopped vaccinating my cats altogether. For years, they got everything, on an annual basis.

My aunt works closely with the AKC Canine Health Foundation. They have been doing studies about how long vaccines are effective and their research is pointing to no need for more than one set of vaccines. As with most of the vaccines humans get, the antibodies stay in the system. So far, they have shown that one rabies vaccine is still effective 7 years later. Now they can't say for certain that a 15 year old cat who only had one rabies vaccine as a kitten will be covered, but the general consensus by the vets performing all the studies seems to point towards yes.

I don't want to over-vaccinate my kitties, so because they are 9-12 years old, indoors only, and all of them have had several doses of all the standard vaccines, I am not doing any more. I do, of course, still take them for annual check-ups.

As for catching and crating a cat:
I would take the kennel out the day before a vet appointment. Put it in a room with no where for the cat to hide, or at least no where that you can't easily get to them. On the day of the appointment, make nice with the kitty and carry them in the room where the kennel is and shut the door. I set the kennel up for easy access beforehand so I can just calmly walk in and pop them in the kennel before they realize what's up!
cbg1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #57
bethbuchall
Had to make sure she was in Disney World on her 40th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut36 View Post
I have never heard of vaccination requires for housecats from a state/county..etc. I know kennels or groomers can require they have certain vaccines but not the state/county/city. I can't find anything for my state that requires any kid of shots for cats. Dogs they want rabies of course.
From http://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/co...fact_sheet.pdf

Quote:
What Pet Owners Need to Know About Rabies Vaccinations in New York State
(Effective November 20, 2002, this information sheet must be provided by pet dealers to consumers upon point of sale of cats, dogs, and ferrets.)
State law requires rabies vaccinations (shots) for all cats, dogs and domesticated ferrets!
This website is for dogs, but if you look through it, you can see that quite a few states require rabies vaccinations for cats as well. http://www.dogs4dogs.com/rabies-laws

bethbuchall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #58
torinsmom

Three of my cats went to the rabies clinic locally last night to get their rabies shot. The fourth went to the vet this morning for his. He is the one who had a reaction last time he got a 3 year rabies vaccine. My vet confirmed that the one year does not have the adjuvant. She said she has not had one bad reaction when using the new one year she uses. My kitty is fine two hours later, so she still has a spotless record

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: