DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
NewJerseyDVCMembers
One contract is never enough!

Just one hour...

All I'm asking for is one hour! Just one. On a recent stay at BLT we had both the pleasure and displeasure of going to the "Top of the World Lounge." I get that members want to spend time with their families enjoying the lounge, watching the fireworks and so on. But it should be that the last hour of the evening set aside for adults only up there. The lounge was open until midnight and up until 11:45, there were toddlers running around completely unsupervised. We had a small group of adults and were seated in the back corner area that has curtains in front of it. The children kept running around in circles, running up to the curtains pulling them closed, then pulling them open, then pulling them closed, then pulling them open. Meanwhile the parents were on the opposite side of the room enjoying themselves. I understand that everyone parents in a different way, and that many children would never get away with this, but there is no alternative the way I see it. The easiest solution would be to give the 11pm to midnight hour to adults only. Families would be able to enjoy the fireworks and the lounge, but then the adults could enjoy a little adult time as well.

(Of our "adults-only" group, half have children of their own, and even they said the lounge needs adult only time.)

Is one hour, between 11pm and midnight, asking too much?
Old 09-27-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
tomandrobin
DIS Veteran

Honestly, my wife would have put up with kids for about 5 minutes. Then she would have politely, but firmly asked them to not allow the kids to run around the lounge and that its not a playground. Its not rude to remind others not to be rude.

Where all of our dreams come true!

tomandrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
Mokat76
DisKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyDVCMembers
All I'm asking for is one hour! Just one. On a recent stay at BLT we had both the pleasure and displeasure of going to the "Top of the World Lounge." I get that members want to spend time with their families enjoying the lounge, watching the fireworks and so on. But it should be that the last hour of the evening set aside for adults only up there. The lounge was open until midnight and up until 11:45, there were toddlers running around completely unsupervised. We had a small group of adults and were seated in the back corner area that has curtains in front of it. The children kept running around in circles, running up to the curtains pulling them closed, then pulling them open, then pulling them closed, then pulling them open. Meanwhile the parents were on the opposite side of the room enjoying themselves. I understand that everyone parents in a different way, and that many children would never get away with this, but there is no alternative the way I see it. The easiest solution would be to give the 11pm to midnight hour to adults only. Families would be able to enjoy the fireworks and the lounge, but then the adults could enjoy a little adult time as well.

(Of our "adults-only" group, half have children of their own, and even they said the lounge needs adult only time.)

It most certainly is not asking too much. It's a bar, for pity's sake, not a day care. Complain, please, loudly and long to member services about it. Why parents think it's perfectly acceptable to let their spawn run around unsupervised in a bar just because it's Disney is beyond me. Would they take them to a bar at home? Most likely not, because most bars will never allow it. Parents who think it's OK to have free-range kids need to grow up.

And why CMs are not allowed to correct inappropriate behavior is beyond me. I get it that WDW is built around children, but Disney has also worked hard to brand some things as adult friendly. An elegant lounge/bar at the top of a high-rise would be one of those things.

Parents, curb your kids. Even at the happiest place on earth one can only take so much. And for all you wonderful parents out there, I'm not talking to you. You already know a bar isn't a playground.
Mokat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

I do believe the old school teacher would have come out of me and told those children to go back to their parents and settle down.

Parents need to parent their children.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #5
NewJerseyDVCMembers
One contract is never enough!

My apologies for not mentioning that a CM came over rather quickly and spoke to the children and then the parents. The kids returned to the area around the parents, but all that did was reduce the area in which they roamed. Now instead of having free range around the entire lounge, they ran around about a third of it!
Old 09-27-2012, 10:11 PM   #6
Mokat76
DisKat

Good for the CM! It's a shame parents refuse to parent. Ugh.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Manners often seem to fly out the window at disney under relaxed vacation mode. I've seen parents not blink when their kids run around restaurants there.

We've been to the lounge several times. Our experience has been observing more of a mass exodus after the FW. We've taken to watching the FW from our balcony, then going up for a nightcap or two but we've witnessed the pajama clad kiddies running amok there and just glad the outside wall is as high as it is.

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:21 AM   #8
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

I don't think there could be a rule like that, one hour without children. Either children are allowed or they are not. Considering it's a place for viewing firewworks, there will always be children. I think you'll have to find some other place to enjoy the atmosphere you want.

Bobbi
Old 09-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #9
Mokat76
DisKat

Sure there can be a rule like that. It's certainly easier to do that apparently than to make parents be adults and discipline their kids. All they have to do is post a rule saying after fireworks, those under 21 cannot be in the lounge. Then they have to enforce it.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #10
DeeCee735
"How Do You Know of the Key?"

I agree completely with an adult only timeslot. It is a bar isn't it? A bar is a bar is a bar. Not a restuarant bar, just a bar, correct? I wouldn't bring a child to a bar no matter where I was. Especially Disney, with so many things offered for children. There's babysitting services at every hotel on property isn't there? ?

JMHO. I plan to be at TOWL one evening with an all adult party in a few weeks. I hope this isn't the case when we are there.

I had a horrible experience at the beach at the Polynesian one night. My DH and I went to watch the fireworks, a nice romantic spot, right? Not a prayer. I love kids, can't wait for my time as a grandma. I love to see them in and around Disney, it really brings on the magic.

However, we were laying on the lounge chairs trying to relax alittle and watch the fireworks and there were some really cute kids acting as pirates, playing and running around in the sand. Cute, right? It was, except one child about 9 years old was screaming on the top of his lungs as he ran. For about 40 straight minutes. Parents were close, not one of them said a word. I'm not talking alittle scream, like a playful thing, I'm talking a monster scream as loud as his voice could carry for a long as he could. I told my husband his parents were probably allowing it, so he'd lose his voice for the rest of the trip! It was horrible, we got up and left and we haven't been back to the Poly beach since. Don't plan to either. There are other places for viewing the fireworks.....like TOWL!!!!

AKV 11/14,AKV 6/14,VWL5/14,BWV 2/14,BWV 11/13, AKV 10/13,AKV/BWV 3/13,AKV 2/13,BWV 12/12 SEDONA RCI TRADE 4/12,BWV 2/12, OFFSITE 12/11,AKV11/11,DREAM/BWV 4/11, AKV 2/11, SSR 1/11, BWV 6/10, HH 3/10, AKV/BWV1/10,AKV11/09, OKW 3/09, BWV 1/09, BWV 10/08,AKV/BWV/HHI/CHARLESTON PL 4/08,BWV 9/07, HH 4/07, BWV 2/06, BWV 10/05, OKW 2/05,BWV 3/04,BWV 10/03, BWV 2/03, BWV4/02,Wonder&BWV2/01,BWV 5/00,Offsite2/00,WL/CS98,Poly 6/95
DeeCee735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #11
DVCismyhappyplace
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyDVCMembers View Post

I couldn't agree more.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #12
VrBchJ
DIS Veteran

The last time I was at TOWL three kids were jumping off chairs onto the big, round cushion/ottoman in the middle of the room. Their parents were at a table by the window playing with their phones. Another guest spoke to the parents who gave him lots of attitude. We left before the other "fireworks" began between the parents and the guest. Like they say about training a dog "It's always the handler. It's never the dog." Sometimes that applies to children too. It's the parents, not the kids.
VrBchJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #13
crazybones27
DVC Member

We went to TOTWL for the first time in May with our two children(4 and 2). I refused to allow our kids to leave the deck area and go in to the bar area because I told them that it was a quiet area for adults. I truly felt like children aren't/weren't meant to be in there. While we were up there all the kids who came up that night stayed outside. Everytime our children got a little rowdy they were told to sit on the bench to calm down a bit. Lets be honest though kids are kids and they will want to run a bit, but if you allow an inch they're gonna take a mile. We made sure to be on top of our kids as not to disturb other people outside also, but you could clearly see as the night went on other parents didn't have the same theory.

While I don't see Disney imposing an hour for adults only maybe they could say keep the kids outside instead of in the lounge area so there's a compromise ?
crazybones27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #14
shortypots
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokat76 View Post
it most certainly is not asking too much. It's a bar, for pity's sake, not a day care. Complain, please, loudly and long to member services about it. Why parents think it's perfectly acceptable to let their spawn run around unsupervised in a bar just because it's disney is beyond me. Would they take them to a bar at home? Most likely not, because most bars will never allow it. Parents who think it's ok to have free-range kids need to grow up.
thank you!!!!!!!!
Old 09-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #15
Jonell
DIS Veteran

I agree I made a comment awhile back abbout unsupervised children in the TOTWL and I happen to mention they were in their PJ's and I got flamed about it. Sorry, but IMO, the TOTWL is in fact a lounge with an upscale atmosphere and not the place for toddlers or unsupervised children. I did bring my DS11 into the lounge area on our last trip while my DH and I enjoyed a bottle of wine but he sat quietly on the chair and played games on his IPhone. If he could not have acted accordingly we would have sat on the deck. I don't think it is so much about making an adult-only time slot, but more about parents being responsible for their children and having respect for others when it comes to their children's behavior.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: