Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
tinkinmagic
Earning My Ears

Question POLY Club Level vs. GF Outer Building Club Level

I can't make a decision!!! If you have stayed club level at these resorts what would you recommend. I am making my first solo trip with great apprehension. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
tinkinmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkinmagic View Post
I can't make a decision!!! If you have stayed club level at these resorts what would you recommend. I am making my first solo trip with great apprehension. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
When's your trip????
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
LittleStinkerbelle
DIS Veteran

I've stayed at both and each has it's pros and cons.

Foodwise, here was my take:

Breakfast: I thought the offerings at SL were more varied and expansive

Afternoon offerings: The tea service at SL was nice if you will be taking a resort break in the afternoon

Evening offerings: I enjoyed the offerings at Poly much more than the ones at GF - maybe we hit an off week, but the items on the GF spread weren't all that appealing and didn't seem to be the right temperature

Desserts: a draw

As far as location, I give the edge to the Poly's lounge because of the beautiful view and I love the central location of the Hawaii longhouse. The Sugar Loaf lounge has no view.

As far as service, I found the CMs in the lobby of the Hawaii building friendlier than those in SL. They always greeted us warmly when we were coming and going.

If this trip is coming up soon, another factor for me would be the various closures and construction going on at the GF.

Good luck!

Next up: Disneyland, Spring 2015!

DFTVR - Memories Collection, October 2010 at Conch Key Marina
LittleStinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I can't speak for CL at the Poly as we've never stayed there (will be trying it next summer), but I didn't care for GF SL. The food offerings were great as they're the same as RPC, but the lounge is located right inside the lobby of the SL building and it was always very crowded and chaotic. The building is very convenient to the courtyard pool and is great for grabbing drinks and snacks through the day if you're hanging by the pool, but the lounge, IMO, is too small for the amount of people staying there and just isn't worth the extra cost to me.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
tinkinmagic
Earning My Ears

Staying October 24th and 25th.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
tinkinmagic
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
I can't speak for CL at the Poly as we've never stayed there (will be trying it next summer), but I didn't care for GF SL. The food offerings were great as they're the same as RPC, but the lounge is located right inside the lobby of the SL building and it was always very crowded and chaotic. The building is very convenient to the courtyard pool and is great for grabbing drinks and snacks through the day if you're hanging by the pool, but the lounge, IMO, is too small for the amount of people staying there and just isn't worth the extra cost to me.
Thank you very much.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
tinkinmagic
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post
When's your trip????
I am going October 24th and 25th.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #8
litlpixie
Proudly stalking the CRO since 2001!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
ITA! I never felt comfortable hanging out in the SL lounge, I felt as if I needed to grab stuff and go--ugh, I hate that its more like a lobby than a lounge. LOVED the tea service though!! Poly was more relaxed and comfortable~It would be hard for me to stay at the Poly again and not stay CL

litlpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #9
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

I would like to stay at GF someday, but personally with all of the construction going on right now, I would not be willing to spend top dollar on it. If you are going next month, I would chose Poly.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #10
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkinmagic
I am going October 24th and 25th.
For a solo trip...sugarloaf is beautiful..and away from the dvc construction. But, there is construction on the courtyard pool next to sl...so I'd recommend poly.

As pp said the view from poly cl lounge cannot be beat with the exception of cr perhaps.

The decor of the two resorts are very different. Tropical vs. Elegant...but you can hop the monorail or walk to sit and relax in the gf lobby...win win either resort. Enjoy your quiet time!
Old 09-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
tinkinmagic
Earning My Ears

Thank you all for the recommendations. I love tea but for this trip I think it will be the POLY.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #12
LittleStinkerbelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlpixie View Post
It would be hard for me to stay at the Poly again and not stay CL
Amen to that! Our next stay at Poly was not CL and one evening we walked by Hawaii and could see into the lounge, I thought I might shed a tear. I am spoiled now!

Next up: Disneyland, Spring 2015!

DFTVR - Memories Collection, October 2010 at Conch Key Marina
LittleStinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #13
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you very much.
You're welcome....good luck making a final decision .

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlpixie View Post
ITA! I never felt comfortable hanging out in the SL lounge, I felt as if I needed to grab stuff and go--ugh, I hate that its more like a lobby than a lounge. LOVED the tea service though!! Poly was more relaxed and comfortable~It would be hard for me to stay at the Poly again and not stay CL
Glad to hear you loved Poly CL . We've stayed at the Poly before (it's now our favorite resort), but are trying CL next summer and I was so hesitant to book it due to alot of negative things I've read. But reading such positive posts about it makes me confident that I made the right choice .

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleStinkerbelle View Post
Amen to that! Our next stay at Poly was not CL and one evening we walked by Hawaii and could see into the lounge, I thought I might shed a tear. I am spoiled now!
Glad to see another positive post for Poly CL. I can't wait to try it next July .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:46 AM   #14
tinkermommyof3
DIS Veteran

We are actually doing both next month. Have stayed Poly CL in the past and loved it. Have stayed GF non-CL in past. Although we like Poly better overall, we have stayed many nights in the past few years and don't want to spend entire trip there. However, Poly CL is "that good" that we don't want to go to WDW without staying part of our trip. Staying GF Sugarloaf (aka Outbuilding). The offerings look good. For us it works well with F&W and MNSSHP. Don't want to go to Epcot resorts this trip. If you have never stayed at GF before, maybe wait until the construction is mostly done. Depends if you will miss any of the amenities that are unavailable.

Tags
club level, grand floridian, polynesion resort, solo

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: