Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
katie111
DIS Veteran

Early flight home- what to do?

Trying to plan a last minute trip for myself & my 3 kids ages 5, 9, & 10. DH will be away at a conference so not joining us. The flight I'm looking at to go home leaves at 6:20 am. This would get us home by 9:20am so the kids could still make it to school and not be marked absent for the day. Just wondering if people think it would be better to stay at the airport the night before or should we just stay at Disney? I know the ME will be picking us up around 3:30am which seems like a lot of time to be hanging around the airport when I'm sure its not going to be that crowded. If we stay at the airport we could sleep till about 5 but not sure if I'll feel like we're cutting our vacation a little short when we have to leave Disney.

Also, anyone know if you can take the ME to the airport the night before your flight? Not sure why it would make any difference to them.
Off site 2008

Wilderness Lodge 2008
Caribbean Beach 2009

Off site 2010
POR 2010, Swan 2011
All Star Music/Movies 2012
Wyndham Bonnet Creek 2013
katie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

You might want to rethink this plan. Your kids are going to be wiped out from getting up so early for the flight. I would try and get a flight leaving in late afternoon/early evening the night before. At the very least, stay at an airport hotel the night before or skip ME and take a cab to the airport.
lost*in*cyberspace is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie111 View Post
Trying to plan a last minute trip for myself & my 3 kids ages 5, 9, & 10. DH will be away at a conference so not joining us. The flight I'm looking at to go home leaves at 6:20 am. This would get us home by 9:20am so the kids could still make it to school and not be marked absent for the day. Just wondering if people think it would be better to stay at the airport the night before or should we just stay at Disney? I know the ME will be picking us up around 3:30am which seems like a lot of time to be hanging around the airport when I'm sure its not going to be that crowded. If we stay at the airport we could sleep till about 5 but not sure if I'll feel like we're cutting our vacation a little short when we have to leave Disney.

Also, anyone know if you can take the ME to the airport the night before your flight? Not sure why it would make any difference to them.
I took an early flight home this past June. ME picked us up at 3:15 AM. We needed to be outside waiting at 3:00.

When you fly this early, you cannot check your luggage through, so we had to wait in line at the airport to check our bags at Southwest. They didn't even open their counters until 5:00.

Then, we had to go through security where they had 5 people checking your IDs and boarding passes but only had one scanner and metal detector open.

By the time that we took the shuttle and walked to our gate, we only had to wait 30 minutes before they began boarding.

I was exhausted the entire day afterwards. I didn't even do laundry. I cannot imagine send the kids off to school.

My advice is the same as lost*in*cyberspace's except that I wouldn't even stay at the airport hotel. I would just head home the night before.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

Agreed...bad plan. Kids will be totally wiped out. Either cut your losses and take an afternoon flight the day before or...don't worry about the absence and book an mid to late morning flight.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
wahmtexas
Mouseketeer

I can't imagine sending my kids to school after a flight like that, I taught for 12 years and really 1 more day absent is not a big deal, let them get rested
Sept.2010: Carribbean Beach, 3d trip with my kids
Dec. 2012 Art Of Animation, Cars Suite Lovin my work at home business paying for our Disney addiction!
Dec. 2013 POFQ, Surprise trip for kids! Loved POFQ!
Nov. 2014 Art Of Animation-Nemo Suite
wahmtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:20 AM   #6
squirrel
DIS Veteran

No way would I do it! Not sure how strict your school is but not worth getting up that early to fly home.

I did one early morning one I think ME picked us up around 6am, never again. Much prefer late night flights. Love to have a red-eye to WDW and take an evening one home-since they don't seem to do red-eyes home.
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: