Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 12:10 AM   #16
dclcruiser88
Mouseketeer
 
dclcruiser88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Fl
Posts: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaTa4Now1968 View Post
Exactly, somebody asked a question and it should be answered as so. Also, some ports do not allow you to bring fruits ashore, cereals also hold up a lot better in the heat than fruit, fruits spoil quickly and cereals can be saved and eaten anytime.
Ok then, how about buying some fresh fruit from the "shops" that are at the beaches?
All of the beaches have food available so no need to bring food from the ship and worry as to if it is allowed or not.
dclcruiser88 is offline  
Old 09-27-2012, 12:33 AM   #17
TaTa4Now1968
DIS Veteran
 
TaTa4Now1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY (if you can pronounce it correctly, you live near it)
Posts: 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclcruiser88 View Post
Ok then, how about buying some fresh fruit from the "shops" that are at the beaches?
All of the beaches have food available so no need to bring food from the ship and worry as to if it is allowed or not.
I also stated, fruits spoil in the heat and cereals do not. If my child did not eat the fruit in within a short period of time and they eat it they may get sick. The cereal will not spoil and it is something that can be eaten and you do not have to worry about it going bad. Oh and how do you know how fresh the fruits are from the beaches? They are not regulated like in the US and we still have salmonella outbreaks with melons, lettuce and other produce in the US.
__________________
DVC Member since 2005,Several vacations when I was a child.
Numerous vacations 2002-2011 POLY, FW, CB, Dolph, 6x@ BWV. Oct. 2012 Disney Fantasy

Last edited by TaTa4Now1968; 09-27-2012 at 12:40 AM.
TaTa4Now1968 is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-27-2012, 01:44 AM   #18
aaklang
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 251

Thanks to all who replied relating specifically to the packaged foods and for the list of cereals they DO have.

Keggy, I'm on your sailing, but thanks for the offer to check for me. :D

My son has a lot of food allergies, so simply relying on what's available in the ports isn't a great option for us, especially if we can't find highly fluent English-speaking wait staff. I'm doing my best to research all of my options in advance so we know if we have to make arrangements to return to the ship for lunch, or if we can stay in port all day. Yogurt and uncrustables won't work for him, but some cereals and chips will.

We do plan to get fruit as well, but I have been told we probably can't take it off the ship at most places, so I don't want to rely on it. I'd heard we can't take sandwiches off either (and we can't know in advance if he can even eat the bread they have). And as for getting it in the ports, I do worry about it upsetting their stomachs. They'll be eating plenty of fruit on board, so I don't worry about giving them cereal or other dry snacks when we're off the ship.

Thanks again for letting me know what's available.
aaklang is offline  
Old 09-27-2012, 02:09 AM   #19
TaTa4Now1968
DIS Veteran
 
TaTa4Now1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY (if you can pronounce it correctly, you live near it)
Posts: 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaklang View Post
Thanks to all who replied relating specifically to the packaged foods and for the list of cereals they DO have.

Keggy, I'm on your sailing, but thanks for the offer to check for me. :D

My son has a lot of food allergies, so simply relying on what's available in the ports isn't a great option for us, especially if we can't find highly fluent English-speaking wait staff. I'm doing my best to research all of my options in advance so we know if we have to make arrangements to return to the ship for lunch, or if we can stay in port all day. Yogurt and uncrustables won't work for him, but some cereals and chips will.

We do plan to get fruit as well, but I have been told we probably can't take it off the ship at most places, so I don't want to rely on it. I'd heard we can't take sandwiches off either (and we can't know in advance if he can even eat the bread they have). And as for getting it in the ports, I do worry about it upsetting their stomachs. They'll be eating plenty of fruit on board, so I don't worry about giving them cereal or other dry snacks when we're off the ship.

Thanks again for letting me know what's available.
I wish you the best of luck and I know DCL will have something that your child can eat and tolerate. Everything will work out fine, have an awesome cruise
__________________
DVC Member since 2005,Several vacations when I was a child.
Numerous vacations 2002-2011 POLY, FW, CB, Dolph, 6x@ BWV. Oct. 2012 Disney Fantasy
TaTa4Now1968 is offline  
Old 09-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #20
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise
 
disney1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 10,135

If I were you, I would purchase some single serving snacks to bring along for your son on port days. I don't know what he can and cannot eat, but I know we are bringing trail mix in packets - there are lots of options out there. Certainly you can find something that works.
__________________
Life is a Journey – remember to appreciate everyday -- be happy for this moment...this moment is your life



disney1990 is offline  
Old 09-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #21
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club
 
Silverfox97's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Celebration, FL
Posts: 6,185

I'm not here to dispute a rule about taking things off the ship. I'm just telling you what we've done I our last 3 cruises (Oct 2011, Feb 2012 & June 2012).

We always grab boxes of Granola cereal and believe it or not, DD 5 1/2 likes the Fiber One flakes to snack on as well. I grab those, bananas with little cups of peanut butter from the buffet in the AM. I also make up little boxes of trail mix from the buffet with the nuts, dried fruit & coconut from the breakfast buffet. I have "tiny" single serving sized Tupperware things from the Target dollar spot & I fill up 2 on our port days with it.

Healthy. Protein. Great nourishment!

DD does have one guilty pleasure - fruit snacks. I get ones made without HFCS, but that is the one and only snack I will bring along. Last cruise, she got 3 packs in the DU welcome basket & like 6 packs in the FE & was crazy happy. They actually work out well to take to the beach & to an afternoon show

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
Emily Scott Isabelle Tiger Bogey Zoe Singer Brutus
PLATINUM DCL Cruisers~ WDW Annual passholders since September 2007!

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline  
Old 09-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #22
momto2redheadgirls
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 28

I haven't been on in a while to double check this thread, so I don't know what the parenting skill or lack thereof was about since it has been edited on that comment(apparently me, since I am the one quoted) but I did want to say that snacks are just that and you have to do whatever works for your family.
Aaklang--I have a child with food allergies also, and Disney does a wonderful job with it. I would suggest calling the cruise line and ask specifically what else or what types exactly of cereal they have if you have any qualms about it. There are LOTS of fresh options available on the ship and I am like you in that when you get off, you want to make sure you have something that will be safe for your child. If that means a change in regular diet, that is ok. Our bags were never searched (not saying they wouldn't be on another day) but I think if you have unopened packaged cereal, you should be fine. I hope you have fun!!
momto2redheadgirls is offline  
Old 09-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #23
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 18,084

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto2redheadgirls View Post
I haven't been on in a while to double check this thread, so I don't know what the parenting skill or lack thereof was about since it has been edited on that comment(apparently me, since I am the one quoted) but I did want to say that snacks are just that and you have to do whatever works for your family.
Aaklang--I have a child with food allergies also, and Disney does a wonderful job with it. I would suggest calling the cruise line and ask specifically what else or what types exactly of cereal they have if you have any qualms about it. There are LOTS of fresh options available on the ship and I am like you in that when you get off, you want to make sure you have something that will be safe for your child. If that means a change in regular diet, that is ok. Our bags were never searched (not saying they wouldn't be on another day) but I think if you have unopened packaged cereal, you should be fine. I hope you have fun!!
It wasn't you being edited, it was another posters comment to you.

__________________


13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now  
Old 09-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #24
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread
 
jilljill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!
Posts: 18,143

Closing this thread since not all can post nicely and I believe the OP has gotten the info they were asking for.
__________________
Disneynutinlondon hit me
jilljill is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.