Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
Spinning
Give me a chunk of something and hot glue/no sew glue and I "create"
The Tag Fairy loves the dog costume I made! Do you do one with wing holes?
Needs tiny bandaids for holes in fingers

Fold up reflector discs?

Fotodiox 22" 5-in-1 Reflector Pro, Premium Grade Collapsible Disc, Soft Silver/Gold/Black/White/Diffuser

Has anyone used these or a product similar? I did a fun photo shoot this weekend with my daughter and some of her friends and at times it would have been nice to have some light fill around their faces and not with a flash.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally the Tag Fairy lost the last part of my quote.. bad fairy. Bad bad fairy.
Spinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Yeah. They work well. If you're not in a studio setup you may need a second set of hands to hold them. Also, a sheet of white poster board, foam core, the hard R matte insulation stuff that's silver on one side, or even cardboard covered with aluminium foil can also work equally well as super cheap reflectors. My personal favorite is white museum board.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
pointandshoot
DIS Veteran

I will use one for macro in field. Not often but they are nice to have, cheap, and not heavy.
pointandshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
photo_chick

Just an example for anyone whose never used a reflector, bounce board, fill card... whatever you want to call it. This was in the studio and I used white museum board, the light source was not changed I just bounced some back onto the subject. It can make a huge difference in an image.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
Spinning
Give me a chunk of something and hot glue/no sew glue and I "create"
The Tag Fairy loves the dog costume I made! Do you do one with wing holes?
Needs tiny bandaids for holes in fingers

Photo chick was the board to the left of the barbie? or more in front? That really did make a difference. I am leaving tomorrow and they didn't arrive so I am trying to track down some of the insulation boards.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally the Tag Fairy lost the last part of my quote.. bad fairy. Bad bad fairy.
Spinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #6
photo_chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinning View Post
Photo chick was the board to the left of the barbie? or more in front? That really did make a difference. I am leaving tomorrow and they didn't arrive so I am trying to track down some of the insulation boards.
The board was to the left side (the brunette's side) of the Barbies. I angled it around until it bounced the light back where I wanted it, but it was a little less than 90 degrees from the camera. I was also using a small point light source (on the right side), so I had to be very precise with placement and angle of the board to get the fill light where I wanted it. If you did this out in the sun you would not have to be quite as meticulous with that since your original light source is so large.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
wbeem
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinning View Post
Fotodiox 22" 5-in-1 Reflector Pro, Premium Grade Collapsible Disc, Soft Silver/Gold/Black/White/Diffuser

Has anyone used these or a product similar? I did a fun photo shoot this weekend with my daughter and some of her friends and at times it would have been nice to have some light fill around their faces and not with a flash.
I use a Lastolite Tri-Grip. You can get them with a translucent 1-stop diffuser in the center, and then cover it with a gold/silver/white reflector. That way you have everything at your disposal for different situations. They have a nice handle so you can easily use them when you don't have an assistant.
wbeem is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: