Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 06:51 PM   #31
krissy2803
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the welcome guys!

We are from San Antonio. My DH and I were on the last Magic cruise out of NY.
I could not pass up the price to sail out of Galveston. Plus no air cost!
DH didn't want to go so he suggested I take one of my friends.

Soooooo I am!

Looking forward to meeting everyone and I am interested in the FE exchange. I've never done one before, so it should be fun.

I will look up the facebook page.

Our names are Krissy and Veronica and we are in 5133 as of now. I am going to see about an upgrade at port, so that might change.

Krissy

Last edited by krissy2803; 09-27-2012 at 07:58 PM.
krissy2803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:51 PM   #32
mommy2allgirls
Stay out of the damn lakes!

Hey everyone! My name is Casey and my husband's name is Chris and we are most likely going to be joining everyone on this cruise. We will know for sure tomorrow. We are just waiting to hear from my mother in law to make sure her calendar is free so she can come watch our kids, we have 5. This will be our first Disney cruise and our first cruise period but we are huge Disney fans! This cruise would be an early Anniversary present as our 10 year wedding anniversary is in June. I am really hoping it all works out that we can join you! I am sure I will have a ton of questions about cruising for you all if we do go since I am a newbie!

Oh and hubby and I live in the Dallas Fort Worth area!

Out To Sea Lee I requested to be your friend on FB. My name is Casey there and my profile pic is me wearing black and holding a baby with a black headband and my cover photo is of my 5 girls. I am pretty sure we will be joining you as my mil is dying to get out of Utah come February so I am pretty excited, I just hope I don't have to say goodbye to you all!
Lyme Blog
mommy2allgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #33
MrsPotatoHead425
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy2803 View Post
Thanks for the welcome guys!

We are from San Antonio. My DH and I were on the last Magic cruise out of NY.
I could not pass up the price to sail out of Galveston. Plus no air cost!
DH didn't want to go so he suggested I take one of my friends.

Soooooo I am!

Looking forward to meeting everyone and I am interested in the FE exchange. I've never done one before, so it should be fun.

I will look up the facebook page.

Our names are Krissy and Veronica and we are in 5133 as of now. I am going to see about an upgrade at port, so that might change.

Krissy
Sounds like you two will have lots of fun! I've added you to our list Thanks for all the info so quickly!! We did FE's on our last cruise and it was fun (we went a little overboard with it and won't be doing that this time) so I'm expecting to enjoy it a lot more this go round. But it was lots of fun walking up and down the halls and seeing everyone's doors and fish extender's (some of our table mates didn't understand the whole concept of FE's... so they hung out their bra's since other people had stuff hanging out by their doors....needless to say since Disney apparently "matches" people based on their age for dinner seating, we've made some requests this time....... ) and even the little smiley face vacuums the CM's had... they were too cute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2allgirls View Post
Hey everyone! My name is Casey and my husband's name is Chris and we are most likely going to be joining everyone on this cruise. We will know for sure tomorrow. We are just waiting to hear from my mother in law to make sure her calendar is free so she can come watch our kids, we have 5. This will be our first Disney cruise and our first cruise period but we are huge Disney fans! This cruise would be an early Anniversary present as our 10 year wedding anniversary is in June. I am really hoping it all works out that we can join you! I am sure I will have a ton of questions about cruising for you all if we do go since I am a newbie!

Oh and hubby and I live in the Dallas Fort Worth area!

Out To Sea Lee I requested to be your friend on FB. My name is Casey there and my profile pic is me wearing black and holding a baby with a black headband and my cover photo is of my 5 girls. I am pretty sure we will be joining you as my mil is dying to get out of Utah come February so I am pretty excited, I just hope I don't have to say goodbye to you all!
Fun!! We hope you get to join us!! Can't wait to hear if it gets to work out for you and DH. You guys will love it and it will be a great anniversary present for you!!! I'm sure you can find answers to any questions you will have between us and the Disboards!!

Disney Magic - 02.05.13
Disney Magic - 05.18.12
MrsPotatoHead425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #34
mommy2allgirls

Does anyone have anyone have any recommendations for a good book on DCL to read?
Lyme Blog
Old 09-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #35
krissy2803
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Does anyone have anyone have any recommendations for a good book on DCL to read?
I would check out the Passporter. I have used the one for Walt Disney World several times and have been very happy with the info in it.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #36
MrsPotatoHead425
Mouseketeer

I was browsing the PassPorter's site sometime last year and found a free ebook they had titled "Disney's Cruise Clue's" (pdf file)... I'm not sure if they still have it available or not, but I still have it saved if anyone wants a copy, I'd be glad to email it to you. It's 95 pages of info, pretty handy, and who doesn't like free

Disney Magic - 02.05.13
Disney Magic - 05.18.12
Old 09-29-2012, 12:05 AM   #37
mommy2allgirls

Ok I have a few questions. I did go ahead and order two Disney cruise line books I had a gift card credit so used that. I feel like I know nothing but I want to know everything by the end!

Second what's is fe and how does it work?

And if we want to get magnets made for our door how many do people generally do and how do they make them?

I think these are all my questions for today! Sorry
Lyme Blog
Old 09-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #38
Kencad MOM
Mouseketeer

A couple of questions about this cruise.

Which airport do you fly into for Galveston? Any good hotels or things to do in Galveston? What is the normal temps for this time of year in Galveston?

Thanks for any info!!

ME 35DH 39DD 12DS8

Wonder 3/2010, Wonder 2/2012, Magic 2/2013, Magic 2/2014
Kencad MOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #39
MrsPotatoHead425
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Ok I have a few questions. I did go ahead and order two Disney cruise line books I had a gift card credit so used that. I feel like I know nothing but I want to know everything by the end!

Second what's is fe and how does it work?

And if we want to get magnets made for our door how many do people generally do and how do they make them?

I think these are all my questions for today! Sorry
Awesome, you'll have to share what books you ordered and whether or not they were good! I love to read .

An FE is a Fish Extender. There's a fish next to everyone's door (it's also a clip that staff members use to attach notes and things to) and people make (or order) fish extender's (things that usually have your family's names and pockets) to hang from this fish so that other people (usually the people in your meet thread, which is all of us who want to participate) can leave you guys gifts! Here's a link that tells ALL about it and it even has pictures (because I love pictures too!! lol!) http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...81&postcount=2

We can discuss a cut off date (some people say 30 days, some say 75 days) before the cruise as to when to stop allowing people to sign up for the FE list (or if they sign up after the 30 or 75 day mark, they make a second group and those people exchange amongst their group) and hopefully everyone will have decided whether or not they are going to participate in the FE gift exchange by then, and know their stateroom number. Then as it gets closer to the cruise we can make a list of all the participating people and stateroom numbers so that we can print them out to know how many gifts to make (or buy or whatever you choose to do) and where to drop them off at.

I hope I'm making sense here

As far as the magnets for your door goes, personally I didn't order any, so I can't direct you to who you could buy them from, but I have heard of that happening. I just opened up a Word document (or whatever program you like to use) and found clip art, or looked on some of the magnet threads here on the Disboards and tweaked or added what I wanted to, and then printed it off on my own printer. You can print it out on magnet paper, or print it out on card stock paper and then laminate it and add a magnet to the back of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kencad MOM View Post

Which airport do you fly into for Galveston? Any good hotels or things to do in Galveston? What is the normal temps for this time of year in Galveston?

Thanks for any info!!
I believe there are two airports you could choose from. Houston Hobby or IAH. There's Pleasure Pier that sounds like a lot of fun in Galveston. There's also another thread here on the boards that seems to know a lot about the area http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2988332 I've never been so I keep a check on that often

Disney Magic - 02.05.13
Disney Magic - 05.18.12
Old 09-29-2012, 06:10 PM   #40
mommy2allgirls

Thanks for explaining the fish extenders I understand it now. My next question is the gifts you get can they be stuff from like the Target dollar spot or are the supposed to be more than that? I'm not sure what the gifts are supposed to be I guess

In regards to the books I got the passporters book that comes out at the end of October and the this book http://www.amazon.com/Birnbaums-Disn...ey+cruise+line

I figured since I had a gift card I'd get both.

Sorry for all of my questions I'm just so excited about this cruise!
Lyme Blog
Old 09-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #41
Goofysrus
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kencad MOM

Thanks for any info!!
If you need any help with the area just ask? Hobby is the closer airport to Galveston. Very easy area to get around because your right by 45 south that takes you the island in about 45 minutes. We'll be joining you on the Feb. cruise. Weather that month can be freezing to 70's on any day! We have cruised Dec. out of Galveston with great weather. Galveston has a lot of history. The water is a brown murk and not appealing but we have Moody gardens 4 pyramids of indoor interests and schlitterbahn indoor water park plus the strand (shopping ect) opera house and the rainforest cafe and ride. Galvez hotel and few others on the sea wall. As mentioned the new pleasure pier. Another idea is to rent a car and stay in Kemah. Great boardwalk fun. We have the space center close by. I suggest not to stay in Houston because of travel time and most tourist attractions are outside of the city anyway. We've sailed out of Galveston many times and traffic really backs up when boarding! If family doesn't drop us off we park across the street from terminal. The drop off area which is quite long is covered so if its raining you won't get wet. Tried to hit the basics! Happy to help with any questions. 😎
Goofysrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #42
MrsPotatoHead425
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thanks for explaining the fish extenders I understand it now. My next question is the gifts you get can they be stuff from like the Target dollar spot or are the supposed to be more than that? I'm not sure what the gifts are supposed to be I guess

In regards to the books I got the passporters book that comes out at the end of October and the this book http://www.amazon.com/Birnbaums-Disn...ey+cruise+line

I figured since I had a gift card I'd get both.

Sorry for all of my questions I'm just so excited about this cruise!
Yes, it can be whatever you want it to be!! That can be the hardest part!! On our last cruise we received some mini rum bottles (the airplane types), homemade luggage tags, pirate stuff, little scrapbooks or journals that people had made or bought, pencils/pens/highlighters, hand sanitizers, postcards, cd's, stuff that represented where people lived, etc. just to give you an idea.

Disney Magic - 02.05.13
Disney Magic - 05.18.12
Old 09-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #43
mommy2allgirls

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPotatoHead425

Yes, it can be whatever you want it to be!! That can be the hardest part!! On our last cruise we received some mini rum bottles (the airplane types), homemade luggage tags, pirate stuff, little scrapbooks or journals that people had made or bought, pencils/pens/highlighters, hand sanitizers, postcards, cd's, stuff that represented where people lived, etc. just to give you an idea.
Great thanks! I hope I wasn't coming off as sounding cheap. I was just trying to get an idea of what type of gifts so we can get a budget going and decide if we are going to participate
Lyme Blog
Old 09-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #44
MrsPotatoHead425
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Great thanks! I hope I wasn't coming off as sounding cheap. I was just trying to get an idea of what type of gifts so we can get a budget going and decide if we are going to participate
trust me, you didn't come off cheap, i totally understand! last time i started out as only doing this or that, but wound up spending way more and doing a lot more than what was originally planned, so it's important to have a plan and to stick to it. Plus each time will be different.. sometimes groups are large, or small, or split into two, or have hardly any children, etc. so it all just depends! there are several FE Gift Idea threads here on the boards, but personally, I'm a Pinterest addict they have tons of great ideas on there!

Disney Magic - 02.05.13
Disney Magic - 05.18.12
Old 10-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #45
Mickeyhugger
DIS Veteran

Hello fellow Southerners and DISers!

I'm hoping that I'll be able to continue posting here..DH called and mentioned he was approached for a new position at his job. He said if he gets it, to book the Disney Galveston cruise!! I couldn't get off the phone fast enough to call DCL! (Haven't heard back from him yet,, but I didn't want to waste another minute..)

We've been sailing DCL since 2002, and our DD was 7. This cruise, however, will just be DH and me. (DD's a senior this year, and can't miss school.) Anyway, I'm as excited as everyone else here that DCL is sailing from Texas! I think we've all been waiting FOREVER. I cringe to think how much our family has dropped in airfare over the years. I'd be happy to see the Magic or Wonder stay here PERMANENTLY, but since that most likely won't happen (for awhile anyway) we're eating up every opportunity to book when we can get a great deal, and DRIVE!

Hope to post back soon!
Priscilla

Mickeyhugger is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: