Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Vegan options at Palo?

So, are there vegan options at Palo for brunch? I've heard they're quite accommodating at dinner, but with the brunch being a buffet am I out of luck?
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
sambycat
DIS Veteran

not a ton. we are just off the fantasy and i let DCL know before cruising (several weeks) that i am vegan and from reading the boards and knowing disney and reading online, i expected some kind of offerings or alternative offering at all the dining spots but i did not find this to be the case at all. i think if you insist (which i did initially then gave up) you may find accommodations more generally along the lines of what iíve read here for example, but, again, i didnít.

there were antipasto things and breads and things i *assumed* did not contain dairy/eggs/meat and it isnít like i left hungry or anything! at this exact moment i canít rightly remember what i did it! ha! i know i returned to some asparagus/ tomato-y antipasto as mentioned. gosh, i can imagine the set up of the food right now, but canít name anything. i know i did pass up caviar which i love and ate the crisp toasts, capers and onions..... with something....

generally (not just/only at palo) i almost felt like noone ďknewĒ what a vegan/vegetarian was (which is fine) but that they also didnít have a grip generally on explaining to them, almost like there was a language barrier? i donít know. again, i didnít press it after a while (because i do normally eat a bit of dairy/egg from time to time).

fwiw, a couple of the best tofu dishes EVAH on the regular dining rotation nights - canít remember the names of those either but they were great!!

HTH!

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-24-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambycat
not a ton. we are just off the fantasy and i let DCL know before cruising (several weeks) that i am vegan and from reading the boards and knowing disney and reading online, i expected some kind of offerings or alternative offering at all the dining spots but i did not find this to be the case at all. i think if you insist (which i did initially then gave up) you may find accommodations more generally along the lines of what i’ve read here for example, but, again, i didn’t.

there were antipasto things and breads and things i *assumed* did not contain dairy/eggs/meat and it isn’t like i left hungry or anything! at this exact moment i can’t rightly remember what i did it! ha! i know i returned to some asparagus/ tomato-y antipasto as mentioned. gosh, i can imagine the set up of the food right now, but can’t name anything. i know i did pass up caviar which i love and ate the crisp toasts, capers and onions..... with something....

generally (not just/only at palo) i almost felt like noone “knew” what a vegan/vegetarian was (which is fine) but that they also didn’t have a grip generally on explaining to them, almost like there was a language barrier? i don’t know. again, i didn’t press it after a while (because i do normally eat a bit of dairy/egg from time to time).

fwiw, a couple of the best tofu dishes EVAH on the regular dining rotation nights - can’t remember the names of those either but they were great!!

HTH!
Ugh. About what I'd feared. Dairy really doesn't agree with me. And I don't do the sometimes thing (ethical and health reasons.)
<sigh>
Old 08-25-2012, 12:08 AM   #4
Mommb
Mouseketeer

Unless things have changed in the past 8 months, brunch is not strictly a buffet. There are also entrees that you can order from the kitchen. I know several were vegetarian (free of meat and fish) but I don't remember if any were vegan.

If you stop by Palo the day before your brunch, you should be able to talk to someone who can make there will be vegan food. I would specify exactly what you don't want, in case they don't understand "vegan" -- "I don't eat meat, fish, dairy, or eggs. What would I be able to have?"
Mommb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:34 AM   #5
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommb
Unless things have changed in the past 8 months, brunch is not strictly a buffet. There are also entrees that you can order from the kitchen. I know several were vegetarian (free of meat and fish) but I don't remember if any were vegan.

If you stop by Palo the day before your brunch, you should be able to talk to someone who can make there will be vegan food. I would specify exactly what you don't want, in case they don't understand "vegan" -- "I don't eat meat, fish, dairy, or eggs. What would I be able to have?"
Good idea!
Old 08-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
kathi
DIS Veteran

I have been on 9 DCL cruises and am a vegetarian (but not vegan). I have never had a problem find options with the exception of the afternoon tea, which is now discontinued. The servers may not be as educated on vegan options, but the chefs most certainly should know the ingredients in the foods they are serving.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience.
kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
2PrincesseInTow
Mouseketeer

We were on the Wonder in July. We dined in Palo for dinner and brunch. Both times our server and the chef were very accommodating to my husband's needs (vegan). At the brunch while I was up at the buffet I heard them saying in the kitchen that they would be making up a special pesto sauce just for him without the cheese and discussing other options.

My DH was very pleased with his choices at both meals. They were much more accommodating than almost all of the restaurants we usually go to. They were also very concerned about making sure DH had a good meal and left full.

Last edited by 2PrincesseInTow; 08-25-2012 at 03:28 PM.
2PrincesseInTow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PrincesseInTow
We were on the Wonder in July. We dined in Palo for dinner and brunch. Both times our server and the chef were very accommodating to my husband's needs (vegan). At the brunch while I was up at the buffet I heard them saying in the kitchen that they would be making up a special peto sauce just for him without the cheese and discussing other options.

My DH was very pleased with his choices at both meals. They were much more accommodating than almost all of the restaurants we usually go to. They were also very concerned about making sure DH had a good meal and left full.
Yay! Thanks for the hope.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #9
emasmom
Earning My Ears

Has anyone tried to get a custom pizza made? Fresh veggies with no cheese? We did that when we cruised with RC and it was delicious and they were happy to do it. We just went to the salad bar filled up a plate with all kinds if veggies then asked the staff to put on a pizza with no cheese. We had to wait for it to cook but it was worth it
Old 09-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #10
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
"I don't eat meat, fish, dairy, or eggs. What would I be able to have?"
Remember to mention honey. Oftentimes it doesn't register that honey is an animal (insect) product. Be sure about gelatin too.

If you speak to the chef, they should be able to make what you want. Ask the Palo manager if the chef will make you something. I know at WDW restaurants they handle vegan requests like allergies if the guest requests no cross-contamination, not sure about the ships though.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #11
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathi View Post
I have been on 9 DCL cruises and am a vegetarian (but not vegan). I have never had a problem find options with the exception of the afternoon tea, which is now discontinued. The servers may not be as educated on vegan options, but the chefs most certainly should know the ingredients in the foods they are serving.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience.
This is my thought--the servers may not be on top of your needs, but the head servers, Palo Manager, and chefs certainly are (or used to be). I'm not vegan or vegetarian...but we found that every meal with a new dining team started with a question about any allergies or dietary needs!
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: