Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
TRK0011
Earning My Ears

7 months pregnant and husband having an affair...what now?

The title says it all really. I'm 7 months pregnant with our first child and I found out yesterday that my husband has been having an affair for a little over a year. I honestly don't know what to do with myself - I keep going from angry to heartbroken to confused...it's all just such a mess. What do I do now?

Some of the details I found out from him:

-The girl he's having the affair with just turned 19 and just started her first year in college. That's right, she was literally JUST 18 when the affair started and was still in high school. She lives in another state and is the daughter of a friend of the family - DH has only actually met her three times when the family came to visit. The affair was mostly emotional, but there were aspects of it conducted over Skype, and things were physical when they saw each other (although he says they never slept together). DH and I are 29, so there's a 10 year age gap.

-This girl has some severe mental issues going on. She suffers from severe depression, has been known to self-harm and has tried to kill herself once. Since she found out I found out about the affair (literally about 24 hours), she's sent me the most evil text messages - telling me I should just kill myself rather than be a single mother, that I must be pathetic that my husband would cheat on me, etc. I showed them to DH, stupidly thinking he couldn't know how horrible she could be - he basically didn't care.

-This baby was unplanned, and where I grew to be excited over time, DH has made it clear from the beginning he didn't really want him. He blames me because I was on the pill, and he thinks I must have forgotten to take it or something. When I was confronting him about the affair, he said that he felt like his life was going to be over, that he would always resent me for getting pregnant (he takes no responsibility for this, like it was an immaculate conception or something) etc. I feel so, so terrible for my baby boy that his father could say things like that about him

-All my family lives in a small town in Canada, whereas DH and I (and all his family) live in California. I haven't told anyone about this yet because I don't know what to do. My parents are comfortable financially and I know they would take me back in a heartbeat, but my father just retired and they're having a great time travelling and enjoying each others company - I'd hate to impose upon them with a newborn baby. DH and I own a house, and if we divorce I should get half of everything, but that wouldn't happen overnight.

-For those wondering what DH wants to do (if anyone is still reading), he says he's miserable with me and would be miserable with a baby - and that this girl makes him happy. But then he tells me he can't bring himself to divorce me and regardless, I'm on his health insurance and we need to stay married until the baby gets here. I just can't believe he could choose to leave his wife and unborn child for a relationship with a college freshman! When I asked if the affair had been continuous for the last year, he admitted that it hadn't, and they'd had ups and downs because she could be cruel and hurtful at times. I can't put into words how horrible it makes me feel that he would choose this person over me - how bad am I that he would pick someone like that instead?

I think that's it - like I said, I haven't told anyone this stuff so this is the first time I've gotten it all out like this. I should add I am a regular Diser, but this is all such a nightmare, I'd rather not have it linked to my normal account at this point.

I don't know what I'm looking for here to be honest - I guess advice on what to do next. I know there have been threads like this in the past so I know there must be other Disers out there that have been through something similar, although I hope they are few and far between, I wouldn't wish this feeling on anyone.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
StephMK
DIS Veteran

First of all, I"m so terribly sorry. This should be a happy time in your life. I know it's hard to see it now, but he & (I guess she) did you a huge favor. He sounds like a complete *** and the better you know now.

Get your ducks in a row, protect your financials, figure out where you want to go. Regardless of your parents having fun, if you were my kid, I would welcome you home with open arms. If you have a good relationship, I would imagine they would want you there if you need/want to be.

I don't know how that will work with different countries, if your DH will even want custody or sign off his rights. As hard as it is to see now, it's a blessing. Focus on your beautiful son and making him a loving home. I was a single mom w/my 1st and it can be wonderful in many ways.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
abdmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRK0011 View Post
The title says it all really. I'm 7 months pregnant with our first child and I found out yesterday that my husband has been having an affair for a little over a year. I honestly don't know what to do with myself - I keep going from angry to heartbroken to confused...it's all just such a mess. What do I do now?

-The girl he's having the affair with just turned 19 and just started her first year in college. That's right, she was literally JUST 18 when the affair started and was still in high school. She lives in another state and is the daughter of a friend of the family - DH has only actually met her three times when the family came to visit. The affair was mostly emotional, but there were aspects of it conducted over Skype, and things were physical when they saw each other (although he says they never slept together). DH and I are 29, so there's a 10 year age gap.

-This girl has some severe mental issues going on. She suffers from severe depression, has been known to self-harm and has tried to kill herself once. Since she found out I found out about the affair (literally about 24 hours), she's sent me the most evil text messages - telling me I should just kill myself rather than be a single mother, that I must be pathetic that my husband would cheat on me, etc. I showed them to DH, stupidly thinking he couldn't know how horrible she could be - he basically didn't care.

-This baby was unplanned, and where I grew to be excited over time, DH has made it clear from the beginning he didn't really want him. He blames me because I was on the pill, and he thinks I must have forgotten to take it or something. When I was confronting him about the affair, he said that he felt like his life was going to be over, that he would always resent me for getting pregnant (he takes no responsibility for this, like it was an immaculate conception or something) etc. I feel so, so terrible for my baby boy that his father could say things like that about him

-All my family lives in a small town in Canada, whereas DH and I (and all his family) live in California. I haven't told anyone about this yet because I don't know what to do. My parents are comfortable financially and I know they would take me back in a heartbeat, but my father just retired and they're having a great time travelling and enjoying each others company - I'd hate to impose upon them with a newborn baby. DH and I own a house, and if we divorce I should get half of everything, but that wouldn't happen overnight.

-For those wondering what DH wants to do (if anyone is still reading), he says he's miserable with me and would be miserable with a baby - and that this girl makes him happy. But then he tells me he can't bring himself to divorce me and regardless, I'm on his health insurance and we need to stay married until the baby gets here. I just can't believe he could choose to leave his wife and unborn child for a relationship with a college freshman! When I asked if the affair had been continuous for the last year, he admitted that it hadn't, and they'd had ups and downs because she could be cruel and hurtful at times. I can't put into words how horrible it makes me feel that he would choose this person over me - how bad am I that he would pick someone like that instead?

I think that's it - like I said, I haven't told anyone this stuff so this is the first time I've gotten it all out like this. I should add I am a regular Diser, but this is all such a nightmare, I'd rather not have it linked to my normal account at this point.

I don't know what I'm looking for here to be honest - I guess advice on what to do next. I know there have been threads like this in the past so I know there must be other Disers out there that have been through something similar, although I hope they are few and far between, I wouldn't wish this feeling on anyone.
I'm so sorry that this is happening to you. I'm sure others will give good advice regarding this idiot of a husband you find yourself with. However, as a Canadian who used to live in the U.S., do NOT feel that you have to stay married until the baby gets here. You can move back to Canada and take advantage of our wonderful health care system. I found that Canada, with all of its social safety nets, is a much better place to be with young children.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
jp24
Panic Ruminator

Wow, this sucks and I feel for you....but it sounds like they deserve each other. He will grow tired of her and he'll cheat on her too. I'd keep his son as far away from him as possible. Keep all text messages from her and him so when he wants to visit his son, you have ammo in court.

It's hard to raise a kid on your own, but not impossible. Lean on your family and friends.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Oh my gosh! My heart is broken for you! I would get myself into some counseling right away. If you have a pastor or clergy start there. You are going to need all the support you can get. I am praying for you.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
pigletgirl
You do have a life. It is just in cyber world
If its chocolate I'll eat it!

Goodness, what a terrible situation that you've found yourself in! I don't have much advice to offer, however remain strong for your unborn son and yourself! You don't deserve to remain in agony. Any chance you'd be able to move home?

I've been BOO'ed by GoofyinToronto!
Old 09-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRK0011 View Post

I'm so sorry. Other than knowing what I'd do, I have no advice, since I'm not you.

But know the person you're married to is a piece of **** and doesn't deserve you or your baby.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Wow.

I don't have much to offer in way of advice. I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences and words of wisdom, but I did want you to know my heart hurts for you. I can't imagine the utter heartbreak & confusion & fear of the unknown you must be dealing with.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
ADisneyQueen
DIS Veteran

Sorry you are going through this. I'd go back home to your parents. I don't know much about custody issues, but if you have the baby in CA does your husband have to sign something allowing you to take the baby out of state to live? You need to keep the baby away from the wacky girlfriend. I'd move back right away and start a new life. Prayers for you.
Christmas 2009-CBR and RI Seaworld,June 2012-POP
Aug 2013- CSR and AOA
Old 09-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #10
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

OP, I would move now while you are still pregnant, as overwhelming as that seems.

You'll be able to use the Canadian healthcare system and not have to rely on his insurance. That is no reason to stay married until the baby is born.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #11
RitaE
DIS Veteran

You know - I'll go out on a limb here.

If it were me I'd go home to Mom and Dad for a bit while this works out. You don't need to be so far away with no emotional support and from what you write ..... I think your Mom and Dad would probably want you to go lean on them for awhile. If you were my daughter, I'd want you back home. It wouldn't be an imposition, it would be family.

Take care of yourself.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #12
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

No advice, just a heap of these

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #13
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran

First of all,

Second of all, reach out to the people who will support you. Don't be afraid to ask for help in this vulnerable time.

Third of all, as Maya Angelou says, "When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time." Your husband has shown you who he is. Believe what you see and hear and read. (I'd guess he embarked on this escapade with an emotionally unstable young woman to recapture a sense of recklessness associated with youth AND to force your hand to leave him. That way he's not responsible, just as he's not responsible - in his mind -- for the pregnancy. Be aware that he's probably going to shirk any responsibilities to his child in the future as well.)

Fourth, focus on your priorites -- the health and well-being of your child and yourself. What do you have to do for the best possible outcome for both of you?

Good luck.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #14
abdmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADisneyQueen View Post
Sorry you are going through this. I'd go back home to your parents. I don't know much about custody issues, but if you have the baby in CA does your husband have to sign something allowing you to take the baby out of state to live? You need to keep the baby away from the wacky girlfriend. I'd move back right away and start a new life. Prayers for you.
I agree with this. If you wait until the baby is born, there is a possibility that your husband may prevent you from returning to Canada with the baby. However, if you go before the baby is born, he can't force you to stay in California or return once the baby is born.

Consider not putting his name on the baby's birth certificate. This would make it harder for your husband to gain any sort of custody, although it sounds like he doesn't want any.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #15
pampam
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure what you really want to do. Search your heart very carefully, and don't rush into a hasty decision. Take a sheet of paper, and list your options. Sometimes things are clearer when we see them on paper. There are pros and cons on every choice, so analyze it carefully. Do you qualify for legal aid? Perhaps that would be a good place to start.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: