Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2012, 12:01 AM   #16
WDWisMyLaughingPlace
Earning My Ears

Thank you both so much!! Your advice definitely makes me feel better about this.

I do have several roles in mind that I would be very excited to work in if accepted, but Hospitality would be my dream Disney job!!

If alumni have a better shot at getting concierge, I guess I could always do a second program if my first one goes well! My long-term plan (which of course could be subject to change) is to the CP for Fall 2013 and then possibly extend to Spring 2014.

Say I was to extend to the Spring, do you know if I would have to stay in my first role, or is it possible to move into a different one the second time around?

Thanks!!
WDWisMyLaughingPlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:39 AM   #17
Cais
DIS Veteran

It's possible. It's harder to do, and people who want to stay at their original location find it easier to extend, but those who extend get to note their preferences. Keep your report card clean to have the best shot .
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #18
WDWisMyLaughingPlace
Earning My Ears

Thanks!! Sorry for the very delayed response!
Old 05-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #19
figmentfan6
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWisMyLaughingPlace View Post
Hi! I'm a Fall 2013 hopeful in my third year of my undergrad, and I'm just going to throw these questions out to everyone!

I'm very very interested in the concierge role, but I have heard that it is an extremely competitive position to land, and most often given to International CPs. How true is this?

I think that the concierge role would be a great fit for me because I have soo much knowledge about the parks, hotels, dining, tickets, etc. and I absolutely love planning Disney vacations (for myself and, of course, other people as well!!).

My concern is that I currently do not have experience in hospitality or event planning and I do not expect to have any job experience in those areas before I apply for the CP. I attend a small university that does not offer degrees or courses in Hospitality management or related fields. Will that hinder my chances of landing a role in Hospitality?

While I do not have experience in Hospitality, I have worked in Marketing and I am very proficient on the computer. I'm also extremely interested in the field of Hospitality and event planning and would love to use the CP as a way of gaining hands-on experience. I haven't had any previous job experience in event planning either, but I have planned non-job related events among friends and family, which I really enjoyed doing, and would love to do that type of work for Disney!

Is having a great interest in the field enough to qualify me for the position or do they want to see previous work experience?

Thanks!!
Concierge is a very competitive role, and you are correct in that it is mostly given to ICPs for better or for worse. They have begun accepting more and more regular CPs into this role since I did it, which is good! A lot of positions also go to CP Alumni, because they already have the good track record. I was the second group of CPs to ever be offered Concierge as a role.

I go to a small liberal arts college, so I too had no experience in hospitality at all. In fact, I didn't even realize how competitive the role was until after I was pended and did more research. When I interviewed I talked about my experience on computers and comfort level working with technology. I also discussed how often I had visited the parks and my experience dealing with Concierge CMs directly through CL and other experiences. It's important to seem open to challenges and be cheerful and also realistic. I only interviewed for the concierge role, so when you do your interview make it clear early on that you would like that role to be a primary focus in your interview.

It does help if you have professional work experience of any kind. I think I ended up getting my role because during a call-back to talk about adding roles to my checklist I mentioned an internship in NYC I was working remotely for. That seemed to impress. I think they want to see Disney not be your first ever work experience if they're going to put you in such a high traffic and high stress role. You get to make a lot of magic, but you also deal with people wanting free stuff, wanting impossible dining/ticket things or just having a lousy vacation that is in no way the fault of Disney (i.e. I don't like my room, the lines are too long, I can't eat at Chef Mickey's, etc.). They try and get people who seem like they can handle that level of stress and who can make sound judgements under pressure. Also, people who are generally upbeat and cheerful!

You seem like a good fit from what I can tell! If you have any specific questions regarding my Concierge CP experience, feel free to ask here or PM me. The same goes if you want to hear some stories (the bad and the completely magical) of things I handled over my time there. I can also give a list of the day-to-day requirements a Concierge CP deals with. Good luck!
figmentfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #20
WDWisMyLaughingPlace
Earning My Ears

Thank you so much for replying to my post!! That was all extremely helpful advice and I appreciate your kind words about me seeming like a good fit for the role.

I will be PMing you right after I post this! I would love to hear more about your experiences as a Concierge CP!! Even though it will be another 8 months before I apply, I am trying to gather as much info as I can about each of the roles I want so that I can ensure I have the necessary credentials before applying. I'd hate to find out later that there were things I could have done long before my interview that would make me a stronger candidate for the role.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #21
WDWisMyLaughingPlace
Earning My Ears

figmentfan6, I don't mean to be a pain, but I just want to make sure you got the PM I sent. I'm new to the functions of the board, so I want to make sure I sent it correctly. My sent message isn't coming up in my Control Panel, so I was wondering if that's just a glitch or maybe the message didn't send. Thanks!
Old 09-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #22
BrookeDoesDisney
Earning My Ears

Wink Concierge

Hey guys! I was just accepted as a Concierge for Spring Advantage 2013 and the website isn't really clear about what the role specifically is. Can you shed any extra light on what I'll be doing?

Thanks!!!

BrookeDoesDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #23
stephanie224
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookeDoesDisney View Post
Hey guys! I was just accepted as a Concierge for Spring Advantage 2013 and the website isn't really clear about what the role specifically is. Can you shed any extra light on what I'll be doing?

Thanks!!!

Hello! I was also just accepted into the DCP as a concierge too! From what I've read, the role is going to consist of working with guests at the front desk, as well as catering to the VIP guests (which sounds really cool) and being there to solve any guest issues. Think of it as guest services, only at one of the hotels (I think?) . I have still yet to find other people with this role, so I'm also eager to find out more info about the role.
Is your arrival date February 4th? =]
stephanie224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #24
BrookeDoesDisney
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie224 View Post
Hello! I was also just accepted into the DCP as a concierge too! From what I've read, the role is going to consist of working with guests at the front desk, as well as catering to the VIP guests (which sounds really cool) and being there to solve any guest issues. Think of it as guest services, only at one of the hotels (I think?) . I have still yet to find other people with this role, so I'm also eager to find out more info about the role.
Is your arrival date February 4th? =]
Im actually coming in on January 14, but yay we will be there together!

Old 10-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #25
WDWismylife
Earning My Ears

Hello, I was also just accepted into the Disney College Program for Spring 2013! I was chosen as a concierge as well! When I read, "check in VIP's and celebrities" as part of the job description, it seems my dream is coming true! Is anyone else a Hospitality major like I am? This is going to be so much fun!
WDWismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #26
SyracuseWolvrine
Hockey Fanatic
Is he a bigger hockey fan than a Canadian?

A lot of what you'll do as a concierge is sell tickets and make dining reservations. You'll get very good at saying "I'm sorry, there is nothing available for CRT, Ohana, Chef Mickey's, or Le Cellier. Would you like to eat at The Wave or Biergarten?"

(Former FT concierge here ... still basically in resorts, but in a vastly different role)
The opinions and comments in the above post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, policies or procedures of the Walt Disney Company or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates, including but not limited to the Walt Disney World Resort and all areas contained therein. Any information or advice in the above post is subject to change at any time without notice. Tampering with, disabling, or destroying lavatory smoke detectors is prohibited. This post may contain nuts or be written by someone who is nuts. Void where prohibited. This post may not be reproduced without express written permission of the Commissioner of Baseball. The moving rubber line is moving at the same speed as you. Member FDIC.
SyracuseWolvrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:48 PM   #27
AnimalKingdomDVC
Earning My Ears

Hi! Another spring 2013 concierge here! I applied, interviewed and got this role which was my first choice!! I do have years of booking Disney travel for an agency, which is why I thought I got it! Looking forward to this!! My dream job!

Disney College Program
~Spring 2013 Concierge~
AnimalKingdomDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #28
BrookeDoesDisney
Earning My Ears

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalKingdomDVC View Post
Hi! Another spring 2013 concierge here! I applied, interviewed and got this role which was my first choice!! I do have years of booking Disney travel for an agency, which is why I thought I got it! Looking forward to this!! My dream job!
Hey!! Me too, cant wait to get there and meet all my fellow concierge's
Old 10-19-2012, 11:57 PM   #29
fall08CP
Cheesehead

I did concierge FA10 and loved it! It's a great role. Couple differences from other roles: you'll tend to work with mostly ICPs and full time CMs. I was the only American concierge CP at my location, and there were 4 ICPs. Training seems to last forever. You have to go through front desk training, which is a week of computer learning and 2-3(?) weeks on the job. Then another week of computer training for concierge, followed by 5-7 days on the job. Note that I did my training back when we had DPMS (the horror!) and I've never used LILO, but I've heard it's much more user friendly.

When I did shifts on the front desk, I occasionally got graveyard shift (10pm-8:30am), so your schedule can truly be all over the place. I hope you have a car because resort busses are a nightmare, especially at night.

I was only in concierge 2 months before getting pulled for a PI, but I loved concierge 100000x more than my PI and wished I never left! You get tons of perks- I got free cirque de soliel for two, free restaurant meals to review (I was the 1st non-staff to ever be seated at via Napoli!) and after I left my icp friends got not so scary tickets, very merry tickets, and random magical moments. The PI was less magical I was about to be trained club concierge, so taht's another fun option, but I took the PI instead.

I've found that resort CMs tend to be more like family than park CMs, having worked extensively in both. You all work crazy hours together and bond over the ridiculous guest requests. 2 years later, I still keep in touch with everyone from the resort and try to visit twice a year. We always did Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Xmas potlucks and celebrated birthdays. It was awesome!

It is a competitive role, and I was the only one in my training without a hospitality degree. You need to have thick skin because guests can be really mean. When I worked in parks, even though I was in a spieling role, it felt robotic. Resorts are the complete opposite. Your brain will hurt by the end of the night, but you also know you've made a major difference for your guests
Old 11-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #30
BrookeDoesDisney
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall08CP View Post
I did concierge FA10 and loved it! It's a great role. Couple differences from other roles: you'll tend to work with mostly ICPs and full time CMs. I was the only American concierge CP at my location, and there were 4 ICPs. Training seems to last forever. You have to go through front desk training, which is a week of computer learning and 2-3(?) weeks on the job. Then another week of computer training for concierge, followed by 5-7 days on the job. Note that I did my training back when we had DPMS (the horror!) and I've never used LILO, but I've heard it's much more user friendly.

When I did shifts on the front desk, I occasionally got graveyard shift (10pm-8:30am), so your schedule can truly be all over the place. I hope you have a car because resort busses are a nightmare, especially at night.

I was only in concierge 2 months before getting pulled for a PI, but I loved concierge 100000x more than my PI and wished I never left! You get tons of perks- I got free cirque de soliel for two, free restaurant meals to review (I was the 1st non-staff to ever be seated at via Napoli!) and after I left my icp friends got not so scary tickets, very merry tickets, and random magical moments. The PI was less magical I was about to be trained club concierge, so taht's another fun option, but I took the PI instead.

I've found that resort CMs tend to be more like family than park CMs, having worked extensively in both. You all work crazy hours together and bond over the ridiculous guest requests. 2 years later, I still keep in touch with everyone from the resort and try to visit twice a year. We always did Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Xmas potlucks and celebrated birthdays. It was awesome!

It is a competitive role, and I was the only one in my training without a hospitality degree. You need to have thick skin because guests can be really mean. When I worked in parks, even though I was in a spieling role, it felt robotic. Resorts are the complete opposite. Your brain will hurt by the end of the night, but you also know you've made a major difference for your guests
Thank you so much for all the information this really really helps!

Tags
concierge, hospitality

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: