Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #151
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Yes, for you, this REALLY is shocking.

It's true- I am a bit of a wallflower...

Now that's funny! And you even admitted it! I'm l;aughing because I would probably do the same thing.

Yes, yes you would!!

That's a cool story about the cat. He probably gets a lot of attention. Why relocate?

Definitely! He was very cute, and a little guy, too.

OMG - I was getting anxious just reading this. But woo hoo for you passing Pods and leaving him in the dust.

That was the only one that gave me pause- except for the first one. The rest of the time it was just WOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

What? He really said that? Did the boys love it? It really does sound so cool and I even saw all your pictures this morning.
He said he thought it was a great day and was glad we did it, but he didn't think it was all that daredevilish. Except for the last one. There are other courses on the island (actually, there are 7 or 8, I think) and some of them are the kind where you always jump off and kind of get that little fall before you zip- I think he would have found that more heart pumping. But for all of us, this was the right choice. Especially for the first time, and it included so MANY ziplines. I would go back- it was a first rate operation. And, as I said, I miss Kay- I had a blast goofing around with her that day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chepic View Post
Great photos......have to tell you I had the willies just looking at your photos. Doing a zip line is definitely on my "to do list" for some day, but man oh man that last one is a doozie!!!!

Cheryl
Definitely do it!! My kids LOVED it, it was a great experience all around. I knew I was going to be afraid at first, but you really feel safe, and it is just soooooo much fun! The fear disappears. Except for that one woman- and she had a vacation of all things she was terrified of with her family, I don't know how she did it.
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:35 AM   #152
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRdisMom View Post
omg my knees wwould have been knocking so loudly! COngrats that looks like a ton of fun
YOU could have done it!

And we are all still enjoying the ball o twine postcard....Pods said, "So- is that someone's house? I told hime YES! My friend Laura's! She has a twine obsession- it's a little much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvc4life View Post
Wow! What an excursion. Looks like lots of fun but my heart would be pouding like crazy too! Great job beating Pods. And your photos are awesome.
Thank-you. I was looking at them last night on my ipad- they look MUCH prettier on there than they do on my Dell- score another point for apple....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
What an awesome pool! Just sad that there was no bar.

Thanks for posting all those pics - I REALLY enjoy this trip to Hawaii with you!
It wasn't so sad- it was actually a $$ saver- we made up for it at Aulani- plenty of bars there! Glad you like the pics!

Quote:
Wow - that resort is gorgeous. It's different. It feel very natural in the landscaping and the structure of the pool and waterfalls. Nice.

Oh - and love the blue toe nails!

Bummer to no bar, but I knew you would think of something.
Yes, I'm very resourceful that way....
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #153
podsnel

It all began with #8....

Tonight, dinner was in Hanalei. We were going to Tahiti Nui, a longstanding bar/restaurant on Kauai. I knew I was going here 2 years ago when I started my planning- George Clooney's butt on a bar stool there only sealed the deal (this is the bar where he finds his uncle, played by Beau Bridges, in the Descendents). The Nui is known for lots of local character, a decent meal, and music every night (or nearly every night). No ressies, walked in about 6:00 and were given a choice of seats- we chose inside because of the music.

I had heard they make the best MaiTai on Kauai, so I checked that out-

It was yummmmm....good enough to get a second when this one was through. Pods had a Longboard, I think. Our server was very cute and sweet, and we placed our orders pretty quickly. I guess we should have paid more attention to all of what tyler was ordering, but all I heard was Ceaser Salad for an app, and that REALLY threw me- Tyler NEVER eats salad. But he said he was "I dunno- just in the mood."

I should have paid closer attention.

Food came out fast- I was having Panko Crusted Ono Roll-

It was really ono- very, very good. Tyler got his salad, but Pods food didn't come out, so I just shared mine. And ordered number 2-

Then all the food came out together. Pods' app was fish carpaccio-

He liked it, but I couldn't bring myself to try it- something about cheese on fish makes me gag I think because in Italian cooking, that's kind of a no no, and I have great trust and faith in all those Italian cookers everywhere. so...

I had Macadamia Nut Crusted Ono with Coconut Cilantro Lime Sauce-

Again, it was ono- Pods got seared Ahi with wasabi sauce-

That was delicious. Timmy got the same thing, with the sauce on the side-

Why did Timmy get it? Because it was an ahi STEAK. And no matter how much we tried to tell him it was tuna- well, he kept on saying, "No- it's a steak!"

Of course, the new salad eater had something coming too. He had ordered pizza.

Not a slice.

An entire #8 Full House Meat Pizza.

Which required him to move to a seperate table, because he and his meal for a family of 4 but just for one couldn't fit with us.

Didn't mean to post yet, but surprise, surprise, my Dell wanted to and my Dell has more say in it than me. So....cont'd next post- Grrrrrrrrr.....

Old 09-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #154
Wicket's Mom
DIS Veteran

That is so what my one son would do! He is an eating machine, thank goodness he has a high metabolism!

I want to do a zip line, but DH says no way! We are somewhat fearful of heights. Grand Canyon really freaked me out!

Love to try some of those drinks, that I can do with no problem!
(url)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050319
It Was the Best of Times & the Worst, But It Was the Best Trip Evah!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2811518
Wicket's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #155
podsnel

So...Tyler had a WHOLE Tiki Man #8 to himself-

Does anyone else find this funny? Because I have to say, he STILL has not lived this one down. We were ALL Timmy loved that pizza- not that he had any to eat. But, well, you know- the whole brother thing....he got a LOT of mileage out of #8!

REALLY Tyler?? REALLY??? A WHOLE pizza? What were you thinking??

"I dunno. I just felt like pizza."

"Tyler, this is one pizza you are NEVER gonna forget. Because, one day, Tyler, your wife is gonna look at you and scream, WHY DO YOU KEEP DOIN' ALL THIS STUPID STUFF? And you are going to say...."

"Well, it all began with #8."

While we waited for Tyler to make any kind of dent in Tiki Man #8 (their pizza is Tiki Man Pizza), Tim and I decided to swap shoes-

UGH. I HATE that they grow up so big so fast.

We enjoyed the entertainment- I especially loved hearing this particular song here, in this place-

click to play-

I mean, who doesn't associate that song with Hanalei? It was running through my head every minute we were there. Even more so than "The best part of wakin up, is Bacon in your cup!"

Which either you are reading the DISmom TR and know what I'm talking about, or you think I have finally gone off on a tangent I am never coming back from. Either way, I am sure I have stuck some tune in your head for the rest of the day, and for that I say, "You're welcome!".

Oh boy.

See the wahine with the white bikini top? Pretty sure she was topless and then they covered her up.

So...in case you haven't gathered, we had a GREAT time at Tahiti Nui. LOTS and LOTS of laughs- so much so, that when I brought it up yesterday, we all were crackin up laughing like we were still there. Another GREAT memory from Kauai for my family....

And oh yeah...in case you were wondering, we brought most of Tiki Man Pizza #8 home with us that night....it was like adding a 5th person to the room.

Up next- HURRY!!! We need to see the sunset!!!

Old 09-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #156
podsnel

It had been raining on and off throughout our dinner, but it was clear now and I was pretty sure that meant the sunset would be really nice. We did not have far to go to the Hanalei Pier, and..oh....I was out-of-my-mind excited to get there. That pier- I don't know what it is, but it just brings tears to my eyes. I could not wait to see it.

Well, we were just a little too late. But still, this is what we saw when we got there-

JUST missed it, but that was ok, because it still took my breath away.

I took about 100 photos I think, I was completely smitten with the whole thing. This bay, and this pier, draws many people every night for sunset. Cars are all lined up on the beach, and I would say most of the cars are locals. Sunset there isn't just sunset. It is a timeless treasure to be honored and blissfully appreciated everyday. Loads of families were there- all the kids and some of the adults on the pier jumping into the water one last time before it was too late. We were in clothes today, but you can bet we were going to come back so my kids could be a part of that, too.

We took turns with the boys-

And how many fingers is Tim holding up?

Yea, we were still laughing about that one.

Heaven...just...heaven....

On our way back to Princeville, we stopped at the Princeville Shopping Center for dessert. The boys wanted some Shave ice, and they got the last two of the evening. Princeville closes up early- I think this was just before 8 pm that night.

I didn't want Shave Ice, though- I was making a beeline for Lappert's, a well known Ice cream shoppe on Kauai with some really cool flavors like •Kauai Pie - Kona coffee ice cream swirled with chocolate fudge, coconut flakes, macadamia nuts and vanilla cake crunch and •Heavenly Hana - Creamy chocolate ice cream with delicate swirls of marshmallow ribboned throughout with our handmade chunks of white chocolate covered macadamia nuts, dark chocolate almond chunks, chocolate bits & roasted almonds.

I really don't recall what I had, tho, because they were out of Kauai Pie when I was there and that was what I really wanted. Kona Coffee maybe? And maybe mac nut. Pods had mango sorbet and mac nut. Well, whatever we had, it was incredible, because even Pods was blown away by the creaminess and flavor of their ice cream. We would be back!

Princeville was ROCKIN at 8 pm! LOL!

Most all the stores were already closed. But that's ok- we wanted to get to bed, anyway. In the morning, the boys were golfing and I was heading to Kilauea for some photos....before our afternoon on the Napali Coast. See ya real soon!
Old 09-25-2012, 10:40 PM   #157
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Don't you just love what kids order. We've had a few experiences like that with our son too.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that races back to watch the sunset. The ticker below is from the Aulani resort last January.

Thanks for putting the song in my head the for the rest of the evening.

D
isneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:35 AM   #158
knewton64
If it is "5 o'clock somewhere," does that mean it can be 5 o'clock anywhere and all the time?

Smile ADDITIONS 2 MY BUCKET LISt......

1) shaved ice.
2) hire you as a photographer cuz you take pics of people's butts!!
3) Zip line (never done it).

Finally got all caught up.

From the blue waters to 'that cat,'..........

lovin yer tr as always.

T.T.F.N.

&

ALOHA
My "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE N KEY WEST, COZUMEL & G CAYMAN DCL TRIP REPORT; JAN'12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N NEW YORK CITY" TRIP REPORT; SEPT '12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N SAN FRAN, ROSE BOWL, ROSE BOWL PARADE & COASTAL CALIFORNIA" TRIP REPORT (w/pics & video)- DEC '13
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N ENGLAND, SCOTLAND & WALES" TRIP REPORT - August '14 (w/pics & video)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....errerid=208040
MY "ADVENTURES N DISNEYLAND, CATALINA ISLAND & OTHER ASSORTED SO CAL STUFF" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT; CHRISTMAS / NYE 2014
MY "ADVENTURES N WALT DISNEY WORLD & NASSAU BAHAMAS OVeR CHRISTMAS /NYE 2015" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT
knewton64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #159
CRdisMom
DIS Veteran

I can arrange for more twine things to be sent your way. They had hats, shot glasses and all sorts of fun things to adorn an office with. Lol.

A whole pizza! Yikes.

And thank you for the best part of waking up is bacon in your cup! Eeewwwww!

CRdisMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #160
MEK
DIS Veteran

When I read through your update the first time I actually thought that Tyler HAD eaten the whole pizza and I was wondering where he put it and why he didn't get a shirt as a prize (like on man vs food).

Your pictures of the "almost" sunset are so pretty. That looks like an absolutely gorgeous spot.

Oh - and that ice cream sounds amazing (so does the mai tai )

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #161
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
Don't you just love what kids order. We've had a few experiences like that with our son too.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that races back to watch the sunset. The ticker below is from the Aulani resort last January.

Thanks for putting the song in my head the for the rest of the evening.
You're welcome!

I love your Aulani ticker- when we were in Hawaii 26 years ago, I was admittedly young and stupid at 23, and came home realizing I never made time for the sunset- I think I missed most of them. This time I made sure to fix that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knewton64 View Post
1) shaved ice.
2) hire you as a photographer cuz you take pics of people's butts!!
3) Zip line (never done it).

Finally got all caught up.

From the blue waters to 'that cat,'..........

lovin yer tr as always.

T.T.F.N.

&

ALOHA
You missed the Shave ice???? Well, it ooks like you need to go back!

FWIW, we all were bigger fans of Hula Pie than Shave ice- so maybe you're ok! Where's your next trip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRdisMom View Post
I can arrange for more twine things to be sent your way. They had hats, shot glasses and all sorts of fun things to adorn an office with. Lol.

A whole pizza! Yikes.

And thank you for the best part of waking up is bacon in your cup! Eeewwwww!
You're welcome!!

All those twine things sound....ummm....great, but we are happy with just the postcard.

And yea, on the pizza- I have no idea what the kid was thinking!

Quote:
When I read through your update the first time I actually thought that Tyler HAD eaten the whole pizza and I was wondering where he put it and why he didn't get a shirt as a prize (like on man vs food).

Your pictures of the "almost" sunset are so pretty. That looks like an absolutely gorgeous spot.

Oh - and that ice cream sounds amazing (so does the mai tai )
That's funny- he would have deserved a shirt for eating the whole pie- it was huge!

We visited that pier 3 times while we were there- loved it.

The ice cream was incredible- they ship to anywhere west of the rockies, I think- 6 pints for $120. Seems pretty steep, but it's a lot less than a plane ticket, I guess!

Old 09-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #162
podsnel

It was Monday morning, and I was up before everyone as usual. I went outside to admire the view-

Click to play-

Can you see the geese and the rooster? They were very vocal about how much they were enjoying the day!

Princeville is home to a lot of golf courses. We had not originally planned to play while we were here, but I figured if I could squeeze it in somewhere for them, they would appreciate it (plus we were driving past all the golf everyday, so it would have been too big of a tease if they didn't go!). They offer really reasonable deals at the Woods Course which is 9 holes at the Makai Golf Club- 9 holes for $55, and kids 6-15 play free all day with a paying adult. They also offered a good junior rate for the second kid, $27.50. They did all need to rent clubs, but still, it was reasonable when you consider where you were playing. They were teeing off at 8:30, I think, so I dropped them off on my way to do other things. Once they got there, they were offered the other course if they wanted it at a slightly higher rate, but they passed and stuck with the woods. Here are some pics from their day-

See how gorgeous it is? How could they NOT golf?

I had other plans, though. First, I wanted to find a truck with some amazing food- there are a lot of food trucks in Kauai, that we never found, including this one. It is called Kauai Ono 560, in case you want to go look! Anyway, while I was looking, at least I got to enjoy a nice drive on the North Shore, over one lane bridges to deserted beaches.

I think that was Wainiha Beach. I turned around and kept looking, but ultimately went to plan b, which I had been saving for Tuesday's breakfast- Hanalei coffee Roasters, which used to be known as Java Kai. I got a sandwich to go- A surfers Breakfast sandwich, or something like that, and a Coco Mocha coffee- with whipped cream, OMG, was that coffee DELICIOUS!!!

It was all good- loved the fruit! I drove east, and ended up in Kilauea, to look at the lighthouse-

Which has apparently been having a facelift for quite some time.

There were a ton of birds down on the rocks below, so great bird watching here.

The gates up to the lighthouse didn't open until 10, so after a bit I turned around and headed back into town. On the way, a serene view enticed me to pull over-

Then I stopped to do some very rare on this trip shopping. I ended up buying a Nihau shell bracelet and some earrings (which I can't find! ) as well as wine charms here-

Also some soaps, lotions and candles here-

My plan was to pick up lunch and head back when the golf was done, so we could eat before our boat ride that afternoon to the Napali coast. I knew what I wanted, and it was just across the street-

It wouldn't be open for another half an hour though, so while I waited, I did a little more browsing. I was first in line when the doors opened though, and got two Ahi tuna wraps, a chicken teriyaki plate and a barbequed chicken plate. The Ahi wraps were AMAZING, so sorry I missed taking food porn! Where was my head? Anyway, just as my order was ready to go, Pods called to say that they were finished, so I drove back to get them passing-

When I picked them up

They were very excited to show me the pics they took on the camera-

Yea- that's right. Be aware of #8!

Up next- OMG, I hope you want to see some photos of the Napali Coast, because do I ever have some to show you!!

Old 09-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #163
snowmanlover
DS was in the CP and LOVED it!

I'm drooling here looking at the food porn AND the stunning scenery pictures you took! Glad your guys got to go golfing, it looks so beautiful!!

DH has been looking (without me even hinting) at cruises to Hawaii!! He found one in April that looks interesting. Depends on how his Mother is feeling, we may end up booking it soon! She LOVES cruising, but I might try to talk them into going on our own like you did so we can see so much more and not have to hurry back to the ship!

Looking forward to more!!

I AM looking forward to YOUR photos of the Napali Coast!!
snowmanlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #164
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

All I can say .........

Your pics are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! The scenery is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! and even the shops look better than here.

Don't even want to mention the food.

Keep the photos coming! Thanks for sharing your vacation and family with us, Ellen!
TR Summer 2014: We're out of it! A MAGICal Med adventure TR 2013: Get off the ship .....
Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #165
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

They must have started the lighthouse renovation after we were there in January. I enjoy watching the birds and whales out there.

I love your pic of the church and I want to stop in next time to see the inside.

D
isneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: