Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
Desnik
I actually love packing and planning
I'm glad DH and I were friends first then a couple

How would you handle this one????

My 14yo 9th grade DD texted me from school today to tell me she was offered drugs!

During her art class the girl that sits next to her made a comment that she stunk and needed perfume, so she opens her bag and in it was a bag filled with weed. She asks my DD hey, do you want some? You wanna smoke with me later. My DD replied, "no thanks, I'm good." Then texted me after the class to tell me what had happened. She was a little shaken up and went on to tell me she was scared and it was such a crazy thing she couldn't even believe it happened.

For years I have heard rumors about drugs in the school & some of DD's friends had told me some hair raising stories about the H.S. But, having never had first hand experience I chalked it up to kids spreading rumors and it couldn't have been as bad as they were saying.

When DD started this year in the H.S. she told me that the kids walk into the woods during lunch and smoke pot. She then went on to tell me that the tearchers were aware, joked about it and mentioned smelling it in the school because one of the classes has a window facing the woods. Anyway of course I was dumbstruck but again I let it go and told DD to stay away from the kids doing it.

Then this happens today. I really wasn't sure how to handle it. When I called DH he hung up with me and immediately called the school and spoke to the principal. He told my DH he had just started at the school in Dec and was well aware of the drug problem and said it has actually gotten better since he arrived but admitted more needed to be done. My DH told him he'll give him a week to come up with a plan to end the drugs on school property otherwise he will call the police. He also told him we would help in any way we could. (I'm a SAHM and would totally be willing to monitor the area outside during lunch, I can't believe there isn't even one adult present!) The principal said he'd call my DH next week and apologized and admitted the drug situation was bad. He asked if DD was willing to give names it would help and promised he would never say where he got the info from but DH told him no. He doesn't want her put in that position.

So my question is, how would you handle this? Am I under reacting, did DH over react? Should we, could we do anything else? I just don't know how to proceed.

I will say I am so proud of my DD for saying no and telling me about it!
Old 09-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnik View Post
My 14yo 9th grade DD texted me from school today to tell me she was offered drugs!

During her art class the girl that sits next to her made a comment that she stunk and needed perfume, so she opens her bag and in it was a bag filled with weed. She asks my DD hey, do you want some? You wanna smoke with me later. My DD replied, "no thanks, I'm good." Then texted me after the class to tell me what had happened. She was a little shaken up and went on to tell me she was scared and it was such a crazy thing she couldn't even believe it happened.

For years I have heard rumors about drugs in the school & some of DD's friends had told me some hair raising stories about the H.S. But, having never had first hand experience I chalked it up to kids spreading rumors and it couldn't have been as bad as they were saying.

When DD started this year in the H.S. she told me that the kids walk into the woods during lunch and smoke pot. She then went on to tell me that the tearchers were aware, joked about it and mentioned smelling it in the school because one of the classes has a window facing the woods. Anyway of course I was dumbstruck but again I let it go and told DD to stay away from the kids doing it.

Then this happens today. I really wasn't sure how to handle it. When I called DH he hung up with me and immediately called the school and spoke to the principal. He told my DH he had just started at the school in Dec and was well aware of the drug problem and said it has actually gotten better since he arrived but admitted more needed to be done. My DH told him he'll give him a week to come up with a plan to end the drugs on school property otherwise he will call the police. He also told him we would help in any way we could. (I'm a SAHM and would totally be willing to monitor the area outside during lunch, I can't believe there isn't even one adult present!) The principal said he'd call my DH next week and apologized and admitted the drug situation was bad. He asked if DD was willing to give names it would help and promised he would never say where he got the info from but DH told him no. He doesn't want her put in that position.

So my question is, how would you handle this? Am I under reacting, did DH over react? Should we, could we do anything else? I just don't know how to proceed.

Good for your DD for telling you about it.

Do you not have drug-sniffing dogs that come in occasionally and walk the halls?

Even here in po-dunk WI, they do that throughout the year and kids know their lockers can be searched at any time, for any reason.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
JKMJ441724
Um, I'm going to go with "NO."

I'm proud of your daughter too. I have told my children that there are certain things that they simply don't have to bear and should push that burden to someone older.

Drugs, weapons and sexual activity are the 3 highest on the list.

JKMJ441724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

I understand it's frightening and frustrating but what exactly was your DH hoping to do by "giving the principle one week to come up with a plan or else he'll call the police"? The police will require your DD to give them names otherwise THEY can't do anything either. And I bet they're already painfully aware of the problem.

You can't control what others do. All you can do is talk to your DD about what she can/should do herself and try to avoid the problem kids. Otherwise consider homeschooling or private school.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
padams
Hey, I've never posted on a locked thread before
I am always Cindy Lou Hoo
We've had them howling under our bedroom

Count me as another person proud of your dd!
padams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Unless my kid was in some kind of danger, I doubt I would have said anything.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
jp24
Panic Ruminator

Good for your daughter. Now I'd go to the principal and let them know as well. Point the girl out. And the teachers out, if possible. This type of behavior is simply unacceptable in any school. If they can't fix it, go to the police.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
krcit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmasm View Post

krcit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #9
cabanafrau
DIS Veteran

The problem is so bad the teachers joke about the smell filtering in from the kids leaving school and smoking in the woods & the police & school admin can't figure out the solution? They can hire me for half the principal's salary & I will fix the problem day one.

Closed campus. It ain't rocket science.

I can then moonlight as Barney Fife(once again 1/2 price fee) & do police surveillance in the woods, armed w/ camera, zip ties to handcuff the little stoners & the paddy wagon waiting to haul them back to the station where they can be ticketed for possession. I'm guessing removing the easy access & convenient cover for their activities might curtail some of it & help keep it away from the school a bit more.

OP, do keep it fresh in your DD's mind that drugs can have very dangerous consequences, even the first time & can seriously damage your health & future.
cabanafrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Really, you are giving the principal a week? They've been fighting drugs in the schools for decades here in my upper middle class town! Random drug tests, assemblies, drug sniffing dogs, security, expulsions - and pot is the least of their concerns (big heroin problem).

The first time I was asked if I wanted to smoke pot was when I was in the 7th grade, and I was probably offered drugs dozens of times in HS. This is not a new problem - it's been going on forever, and it's very hard to combat (especially since no one wants to be the narc - like your dd).
Old 09-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #11
jp24
Panic Ruminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmasm View Post
Pretty sure if drugs are being offered and peddled around the school, your kid is in danger. Those drugs have to come from somewhere and those people usually aren't wholesome and pure. If more than one supplier is represented in school, there's potential for some sort of turf war breaking out.

Make no mistake about it, if it's not kept out of your child's school, your kid is in danger.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #12
DVCLiz
That's me - proud defender of the Mega roll
click here to use the trolldar
We saw "I pooted" and thought it was a "New York" thing!

I think you and your DH both overreacted wildly. This is high school, not second grade. Kids smoke and sell each other pot. Unless you are willing to have your daughter's name made public, you should all stay out of it. A frank talk with your daughter was all that was necessary.

How the school chooses to handle its drug problem is a different matter, but having your husband threaten to call the police or installing yourself as the outdoor monitor is totally unrealistic.

Tell your daughter to keep turning it down and move on.
DVCLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #13
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnik View Post

OK the bold is ridiculous. I think letting the Principal know is enough. You think they aren't aware? Does your DH think the police aren't aware? Your DD will likely be called in and told to name names and they will proceed from there. They don't owe you or your DH a plan of action based on his phone call or 1 incident being report by him and a week? Come on now!

Drugs in high school are hardly anything new..the important thing and what I would focus on is your DD knows how to say no and walk away. You have given her a foundation to make the right choice and she made it. She knows what to do if it comes up again as well.
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #14
happygirl
DIS Veteran

I'm shocked so many people are saying they would just ignore it. This is illegal activity.

If nothing else call the school anyonmously sp? and say you know so and so has drugs on her. Her parents need to know that she doing drugs.
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #15
jp24
Panic Ruminator

Hmmmm, I think the "keep your head down and mouth shut" mentality here is what has perpetuated this problem to begin with. The keep quiet approach hasn't worked for 40 years. Why would it start now? Zero tolerance should mean just that - ZERO TOLERANCE. You bring drugs to school, you go to jail. You forfeit your right to come back to school. I wonder if the reaction would have been the same if OP's daughter would have seen a loaded gun in her classmate's backpack.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: