Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
ZoeisMommy
šoš Earning My Ears

Make a wish...but for adults??

I am a LONG time Dis'er and was recently approached by a friend to help plan a surprise Disney trip for a classmate of mine. She was diagnosed with a rare cancer and the doctors have given her no hope. They are wanting to send her and her family to Disney World so her children can have life long memories of their mother (age 25). I know that make a wish does trips for children, but do any of you know of any foundations that could help us cover the cost to send her? Thank you in Advance <3
Old 09-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
Piper
DIS Veteran

I don't know of any. Perhaps you could have some kind of fund raising. I know a friend of mine made things and her friends make things to sell to send her SIL with terminal cancer and her whole family to WDW.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
ZoeisMommy
šoš Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper
I don't know of any. Perhaps you could have some kind of fund raising. I know a friend of mine made things and her friends make things to sell to send her SIL with terminal cancer and her whole family to WDW.
I was discussing a community garage sale but that only raises so much...
Old 09-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
peemagg
We are doing the AKL tri-fecta
You will find us wrapped up in them at night and on the weekends

Something that might raise more money than a garage sale would be an auction.
peemagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #5
Bete
DIS Veteran

With the family's permission I would check out your church

to hold a meal benefit or something similiar. If you are not in the same church then do their church and yours and whoever else's church for a benefit. A bake sale might help, too.

I would even go door to door in their neighborhood and simply ask for a donation. What about a block party and charge admission? This takes some doing like getting approved by your city to do it and getting people to donate their talents for music, magic, or whatever.

If you can't raise enough for Disney then go somewhere else more affordable for a trip. Getting away together and having some fun is the main priority. I would shoot for Disney and do the best you can with it.
Bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES FAQs thread.
There are not many resources for adults, but what we know about are listed in post 3 on that thread.

As other posters mentioned, the best options may be things close to home - church groups, local businesses, etc.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #7
bopper
Which way to the Hundred Acre Woods?
I have been in VMK since day 1 and am still playing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bete View Post
I would even go door to door in their neighborhood and simply ask for a donation. .
No offense, but if someone came to my house asking for money to send a friend to Disneyworld because she has cancer I would think it is a scam.

I think it would be better to publicize a fund raising event through an article in the newspaper...the reporter could verify her medical condition and also it would be publicized more widely.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
Bete
DIS Veteran

Arrow I was very specific to say their neigborhood;

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopper View Post
No offense, but if someone came to my house asking for money to send a friend to Disneyworld because she has cancer I would think it is a scam.

I think it would be better to publicize a fund raising event through an article in the newspaper...the reporter could verify her medical condition and also it would be publicized more widely.
because, most will probably know about her state of condition there. Perhaps, I should even make it more clear and say her immediate neighborhood. I'm sure you could make it clear it's not a scam. I'm sorry you feel like this would be a scam; I'm hoping there will be more people the other way.

Anyway, I really came back to say that in our hometown there's a pizza parlor that will let you use their place on their day off and let you do a private party function. You get to be the waitress(es) and keep tips and the place kicks in 15% from their proceeds of the night. They do the cooking.

Also, some restaurants will allow you to keep a money jar by a register for charitable projects.

Finally, hitting up other classmates and other family members might help. A simple letter could be sent explaining it all and send it with a self address envelope for the checks to come back.
Bete is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: