Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #16
Mokat76
DisKat

It may be the lack "her" things and the echo-y sound in an empty house. she's getting older, too, and just may not adapt as readily. Steeper stairs may be really scary, like a ladder with rungs a couple of feet apart would be to us. Good luck.
Mokat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #17
trip
family trip planner

He's almost 8. Could he have developed hip Dysplasia?
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #18
EllenFrasier
DIS Veteran

Without reading all the responses, I have an idea. Since she is okay when you carry her, you could buy a "thunder shirt" - see thundershirt.com. It's for calming anxiety in dogs. People use it for all sorts of reasons, including thunderstorms. Good luck!
EllenFrasier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:44 PM   #19
EveDallas
Pure BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea-n-Me View Post
My first thought was ghost, too but it could be who knows what.

At any rate, act like nothing's wrong. In other words, don't feed into the fear. Leash him and have him walk with you, do what it takes to make him walk normally even if it takes the happy voice you used when you were housetraining him and/or liver treats or something really good that he'll be very motivated to get.

If he still really won't go, don't force it right now. But still go about your dialy business as if nothing's wrong. Don't coddle him or you can increase his fear and make him a ball of anxiety. If he chooses to sit in another room and miss out on all the fun down the hallway well that's up to him.

With all that said, I do pay attention to a dog's instincts. Their senses are tuned into things that ours always aren't. I wouldn't be too, too quick to brush off something weird going on in that hallway. Give it some time to see what happens.
LOL, I automatically thought "ghost" too! But I'm sure that's just because DS16 has been watching 'Paranormal State' nonstop, so I have ghosts on the brain.

Seriously though, I agree with the advice to just ignore it. Go about your day and don't feed into the anxiety.
EveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #20
dizcrazee
DIS Veteran

I'd be like Eddie Murphy talking about the Amityville house..."It sure is a nice house, honey, too bad we can't stay".

Seriously.

Me DH DD:
dizcrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #21
chiefmickeymouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcrazee View Post
I'd be like Eddie Murphy talking about the Amityville house..."It sure is a nice house, honey, too bad we can't stay".

Seriously.
I got busy and haven't been on here in a while...but I loved this comment. I told my husband last night that if blood starts dripping down the walls we are soooo out of here!
chiefmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #22
chiefmickeymouse
DIS Veteran

So, an update. It's day 4 in the house and she seems to have chilled out a little bit. There are still times when she won't come down the hallway, but she's doing better. The stairs don't seem to be the issue, because she prefers it up there. I think I need a dog therapist.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #23
chiefmickeymouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
Ah, then that is easy.

What you do is walk toward the house and if she balks you turn her quickly and back around and then towards the house again. You do this over and over and over and over again until the dog caves and walks into the house with you on leash.

Key is to NOT STOP walking. When she puts on the brakes you quickly heel her away from the house and keep her walking.

Now you have to have the time to do the training because you have to have patience for this.

We have a dog that is scared of inanimate objects in the house and outside all the time. So we are always leashing him when his fears pop up.

Right now he is afraid of the fan that is by the stairs so he is very scared to come downstairs. So we leash him and we walk him back and forth near the fan many tmes and he ate treats off of it. Now he is hesistant but he comes downstairs at least. He will be 8yo in March.
Wow! Are you a dog trainer? I wouldn't have thought about circling her around. We had a huge thunderstorm today, and that seems to have set her back a little. I think we will be okay, though, since she seems to improve a little every day. I was seriously getting freaked out. I don't know if I believe in the possibility of the paranormal explanation, but I don't definitively NOT believe it either!
Old 09-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #24
ladypage
And that's how the story about me sleeping with the entire Polish national basketball team started

It's haunted, get out while you can!

Former Epcot CM

PROUD MEMBER OF
GIRAFFE WATCH 2012

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009176
ladypage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #25
Princess_Meghan <3
DIS Veteran

It's good to hear she's doing better. My dad's jack russel did that when they moved into their house. He's gotten better, but he still gets scared often, barks at nothing, and refuses to leave 'his room' at certain times. When we lived there as kids, several things happened that led us to believe it was haunted. We just figure that the dog knows something is there, and doesn't like it.

Hopefully your girl continues to adjust well!

For a true hero isn't measured by the size of his strength, but by the strength of his heart.
~Hercules

If you can dream it, you can do it.
~ Walt Disney

The very things that held you down are going to carry you up.
~Dumbo
Princess_Meghan <3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:01 PM   #26
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

One of our cats went into the hooded litter box when we moved into our new home and wouldn't come out for a few days. The other cats were totally O_o at this behavior "what ARE you doing? Are you nuts? That's our LITTER BOX!" Then she hid out under the bed for a while.

She hadn't done this sort of thing when we'd moved into our last house, and our last house WAS haunted - she'd been spectacularly unaffected by it, although the other 2 cats had gotten freaked out a few times by things unseen.

She just wasn't comfortable with a new change. We coddled her and let her get comfortable and accepted it was going to take time for her to be okay with the move and eventually she was okay.

I'd just give your baby time to adjust - moves are an even bigger change to pets than they are to us, I think.
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:10 AM   #27
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefmickeymouse View Post
Wow! Are you a dog trainer? I wouldn't have thought about circling her around. We had a huge thunderstorm today, and that seems to have set her back a little. I think we will be okay, though, since she seems to improve a little every day. I was seriously getting freaked out. I don't know if I believe in the possibility of the paranormal explanation, but I don't definitively NOT believe it either!
No we just have a dog that is scared of everything. He is a constant training challenge.

The leash and the walking really helps a dog "break through" their fears.

You can pop on the leash at any time in the house, outside the house, in the backyard, etc. It is your best training tool.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #28
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Keep us updated on the little guy!

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: