Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > WISH Journals
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #31
digiMom
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing, Zoesmama03. I hope you feel better soon. I swear the stuff they give us to make us better in some ways makes us worse in others. And then it just snowballs. Here's whats been helping me.
  1. Getting the Mirena out. This made such a huge difference. I don't know if it was the hormones or having a foreign object inside me, but this instantly improved things. I'm currently using the diaphragm so I'm not putting in any fake hormones.
  2. Cutting out caffeine. Another biggy. I had a headache for at least a week while cutting it.
  3. Reducing sodium. I'm probably getting less that than 2000 mg a day.
  4. Getting more sleep. This is hard for me. It's so easy to stay up. I can instantly tell when I haven't.
  5. Eating my whole foods plant-based diet. Again, the difference is noticeable when I do this. Specifically whole grains and a big leafy salad a day.

I'm sure I could add exercise to this list, but I've been bad lately. I'm currently on 5 mg a day. I've been skipping when I get a low reading in the morning, though. SO maybe every 2 to 3 days. I started feeling dizzy at 10 mg (and so much worse when I had 20), so I feel for you. Good luck and keep in touch.

Me DH DD (17) DS (13)

Jan 2012 POP | Oct 2010 POP | Jan 2006 ASSp | Sept 1992 Off Site (Honeymoon) | Poly and CR in the 70s as a kid
"We keep moving forward, opening new doors... because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." ~ Walter Elias Disney
digiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #32
digiMom
DIS Veteran

I'm still here... I'm still struggling along... I'm still about 190 pounds...

I got sick a week back which sucks! I had a terrible headache, stomach yucky, slight fever. Didn't really eat much. Then after a few days I was hungry. We went to a friends over the weekend and should have brought some of my own food. I got stranded and ate a tuscan chicken pizza with spinach and roasted red pepper. I got so sick and threw up because I couldn't digest the cheese. The only good point of the last few weeks was the weather. We had some days in the 80s. It's been awesome.

Being sick, I had time to daydream about going to DW. I'm not going for about 2 years, but I can't help myself. It helps me feel better. Anyway, I came up with some fun and crazy ideas. From trying a moderate for the first time, to the new AoA resort. Then a split stay between POP and AKL or WL. Then renting points for BCV/WLV/AKL; 3 nights each (that would be crazy.) Anyway, it's still kind of fun to dream...

Me DH DD (17) DS (13)

Jan 2012 POP | Oct 2010 POP | Jan 2006 ASSp | Sept 1992 Off Site (Honeymoon) | Poly and CR in the 70s as a kid
"We keep moving forward, opening new doors... because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." ~ Walter Elias Disney
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #33
Strawberry's mom&dad
DIS Veteran

Loved forks over knives!!

I also follow a whole food plant based starch centered oil free diet. I use Dr. McDougall's recipes.
Cheese was the hardest thing for me to give up.
I have been eating this way for over 2.5 years now. It does get easier as time goes by.
For eating at WDW I use the special diet request at my table service meals.
I talk to the chef. The hardest thing to get the chef to understand is the oil free meals I eat.

I soo understand the struggles you have gone through with food choices.

DrMcdougall.com has discussion boards.(recipes,newsletters and other info) I have found a great deal of help there. For support in eating this way I would highly recommend taking a look.

Strawberry's mom&dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:37 AM   #34
digiMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry's mom&dad View Post
Loved forks over knives!!

I also follow a whole food plant based starch centered oil free diet. I use Dr. McDougall's recipes.
Cheese was the hardest thing for me to give up.
I have been eating this way for over 2.5 years now. It does get easier as time goes by.
For eating at WDW I use the special diet request at my table service meals.
I talk to the chef. The hardest thing to get the chef to understand is the oil free meals I eat.

I soo understand the struggles you have gone through with food choices.

DrMcdougall.com has discussion boards.(recipes,newsletters and other info) I have found a great deal of help there. For support in eating this way I would highly recommend taking a look.
Thanks for the link. I'll check it out!

This has been a hard month in general. It's like I never "recovered" from my period. I think I may fall into the category of polycystic. The weather has been wonky, which has made my allergies go crazy, too. 80s to 30s with all kinds of budding shrubbery and grasses ...

Me DH DD (17) DS (13)

Old 05-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #35
digiMom
DIS Veteran

Hello. I know it's been a while since posting here. I've had a down time and just didn't feel like it. Spring has always been hard for me because everything feels so cold and damp and with the time change and differences in sunrise/sunset my sleep schedule usually gets off and I feel crummy. I usually make some bad food choices and this year has not been an exception. It's hard to eat salads when you're cold and tired.

Anyway, things seem to be balancing out and I'm ready to get back to it. I have good news. My ultrasounds both turned out good so all my past troubles are on hold. The cysts in my breast are fine (2 are the same and 1 actually got smaller) and the cyst on my ovary is gone. I'm not sure if my diet changes did that, but I'm sure they didn't hurt.

My weight's the same. My blood pressure's steady, although I had some up days when I lost it in my diet that day. I've found that my system is just really sensitive and reacts to alot of things. I'm still holding off on saying I'm sensitive to gluten. I think I'd go crazy trying to keep track of that. I do have a lot of days where I feel foggy and my stomach hurts, though. We'll see.

Me DH DD (17) DS (13)

Old 07-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #36
digiMom
DIS Veteran

I know it's been a while since I posted here. Things have been really crazy for me with this website I've been working on. It's been kind of a nightmare. I've been almost done for weeks now. My family's trying to remember what I look like...

Anyway, this plan kind of lost it about a month or so ago. I got sick and the weather was really cold and the only thing that appealed was chicken noodle soup. That open a "flood gate" of food. Cheese tasted sooo good.

So I'm still at the same weight though. I went up a few pounds. Then I freaked out and have slowly been getting back to a better diet. (Why is it always harder the second time? It's like your body fights you.) SO I'm back to 191 and my blood pressure's about 120 over 80. Still taking that low dose of lisinopril though.

One cool thing that's come out of this is my kids love Boca. Boca crumbles, burgers, chicken. They ask for it. Like it better than the meat version they said. These are kids that will only eat fruits and veggies if they're bananas, apples, baby carrots or red grapes. Yeah!

Happy 4th everyone!

Me DH DD (17) DS (13)

Last edited by digiMom; 07-04-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #37
digiMom
DIS Veteran

I'm still here. I have to get back to my plan. I haven't been following it. I still weigh the same, but I'm having headaches and fatigue issues again.

Someone I work with passed away unexpectedly. She was on vacation, came back for a few days, had trouble breathing and had it checked out. It turned out she had cancer in her liver, spine, lungs and brain. Within days she was on a respirator. She got off of it, but within weeks was gone. She was really into health and wellness, ate right, wonderful personality. She was only 48. It hit me pretty hard. For a while I was like, if she did everything right and that happened, I might as well do what I want while I'm here. I'm only 5 years out from her age. But I've worked it out and I'm ready to get back on track.

Me DH DD (17) DS (13)

Old 03-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #38
digiMom
DIS Veteran

Time for an update. I'm off my blood pressure meds. WooHoo! I'm running around 117/76. That's the good news. The bad news is I threw my knee out just before Christmas. Nothing tore, but I was walking with cane and had a hc tag for my car. 2 months after, my knee was still swollen (over an inch more than the other). I've been doing physical therapy for the last few months. Things are good, if not yet 100%. All in I'm set back about $1K. I'm also up almost 10 lbs because no real cardio. Eek!

I've been taking a B complex and magnesium supplement. I was having problems with headaches and insomnia. I've tried this and it really seems to be helping.

I'm excited to start cardio again. It's too cold to walk here (windchill this morning was like 1 degree or something). But we got an elliptical and stationary bike up in the living room, so I'm ready to go!

Me DH DD (17) DS (13)

Old 06-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #39
digiMom
DIS Veteran

So I'm drinking shakes with chia seeds and spinach...

...And eating salads with only olive oil and lemon...

...I'm doing an elimination diet.

I had gained weight even though I was not eating much and had periods of headache and brain fog, as well as tummy issues. Then one lunch I was eating a salad and realized my mouth was on fire. I realized this sensation had been slowly creating up when eating salads.

After some Internet research it hit me. Vinegar. I have a mold allergy. Also eggs and tomatoes. I was tested as a teenager, but have been able to mostly ignore it. Not sure if its my age or this crazy spring, but it was obvious. So I've cut out for 10 days:

Eggs
Tomatoes (and other night shades for testing)
Foods with mold (include cheese, vinegar, strawberries, anything fermented or with yeast, at risk fruits and veggies)

And just to test:
Wheat
Soy
Corn

There might be others

I need to go, but quickly, I feel a lot better and have lost 10 pounds in 10 days. I feel like just eating what I'm eating for while. I'm supposed to start adding potential problem foods next week. We'll see ...

Me DH DD (17) DS (13)

Old 06-20-2013, 11:31 PM   #40
digiMom
DIS Veteran

... And dairy. I forgot to list dairy.

Me DH DD (17) DS (13)

Old 06-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #41
digiMom
DIS Veteran

I am feeling better and I've lost about 15 pounds (depending on when I weigh myself). I've been eating chicken, fish, and (a couple of times) hamburger. Grains are rice and quinoa. Fruits and veggies other than nightshades and some fruits prone to mold like strawberries. I'm avoiding organic as I've been told they're more of a risk for me (go figure).

My mornings have been a smoothie made using water or coconut milk, chia seeds, rice protein powder, and some combination of fruit, sometimes with spinach

I had an unexpected reaction to kiwi. I ate one and my mouth was burning and itching. I had to dig in my cabinet and find an old bottle of liquid benedryl, which I swished in my mouth and felt better.

I looked up some information and found that there's cross reactions with yeast, gluten, corn, soy, coffee, and dairy (casien). So I'm just going to avoid them for a while and test them when I feel up to it. I'm just feeling so much better to mess with things right now.

I'm going on a NY state trip in a few weeks and I'm really nervous about what I'll be able to eat. I'm going to bring my own olive oil and eat salads a lot I think. Hopefully I'll be able to find some simple non-marinated or breaded meat.

I don't know how many of you are reading this and following me, but comments are definitely welcome. I should probably go through this with my doctor, but I've already spent about $1000 on my knee this year. And I'm worried she'll just look at me like I'm nuts.

Me DH DD (17) DS (13)

Old 07-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #42
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!

Wow, you poor thing, all those food allergies. I know it takes time but your on the right track. Remember it's the turtle who wins the race!
Minerva Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:40 AM   #43
digiMom
DIS Veteran

Hi Minerva Mouse! I just read your journal and I wish you luck! I'll probably post something on you thread after this

Last night I went out with a friend. We ate at Chipotle and saw a movie. I think I did OK. I know they're food is cooked with soybean oil, but I took the risk. I got a bowl with brown rice, the pork ( carnitas?), guac, black beans and lettuce. An odd mix but the other veggies had peppers or tomatoes. I drank water with lemons. At the theater I got water (while my friend ate m&m's )

I've leveled off around 185-187, but that's OK. I haven't started exercising much besides lite walking. I wanted to let myself heal a little bit. We set up a pool in our backyard again. It's a 24' wide 5' deep intex and its great. I just need to get temps above 80s now. I don't think we broke 70 yesterday. This summer has been so weird. Last year around thus time it was over 100 degrees.

I've got 3 parties to go to in the next 4 days. I think the only way I'll survive is to bring my own food & water. Wish me luck!

Me DH DD (17) DS (13)

Old 07-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #44
digiMom
DIS Veteran

Well, I've been pretty good. I haven't been able to do any true tests, but I've snuck a few things on here and there that I figured would be OK. I managed my 4th of July series of parties very well and didnt cheat. The fact I felt so awful eating the other stuff has really helped stay on track.

Next week is my trip. I figure things are going to be rough. There's no way to make sure that my elimination foods stay out. So my plan is making a good faith effort. Then restart the elimination phase for 10 days when I get back. I'm going to concentrate on keeping out bread and breaded meat, tomatoes, eggs, and yeasty/fermented things. I'll try to stick to grilled meat and veggies, plain rice, and salads with olive oil & lemon.

I did get down to 184 this week. That's the lowest I've been in over 10 years. Yeah! That's wild when I think about it...

Me DH DD (17) DS (13)

Old 07-16-2013, 07:12 AM   #45
digiMom
DIS Veteran

On our trip and did pretty well the first day or so. I was able to make my smoothie and had chopped steak and salad. But then I got stranded at Niagara Falls with no options in 90+ degree heat. It was after 2 pm so I was stranded. And it was so busy! I couldn't believe how busy it was for a Monday. Also there's very little shade. Then we drove for about 3 hours (after driving an hour and a half earlier that day) before getting to our next city and hotel. We got in around 8 and I couldn't face going out so grabbed some grab and go on their pantry. Yumm! So I will try to get back. We're near a grocery and I saw some things in the pantry here I could use for a smoothie in a pinch. After this trip, split stays in Disney will seem like nothing!

Me DH DD (17) DS (13)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: