Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #16
ctl
Mouseketeer

Love that you can do that

It's great that you have the option to pull the kids out of school. I would take advantage of the time now, as when they are older it will get harder and harder to pull them out. My DS and DD where at Montessori so we could pull them out until high school, but then Catholic school and no chance of getting out whatsoever. I would go now and enjoy the Fall weather. How lucky for them to have such a fun trip. Best Wishes.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #17
raraavis
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollom View Post
Can I check this? I thought we had to have a ticket for the daytime too?

Thanks
in years past, you have been allowed entry to MK at 4pm using the MNSSHP ticket. reports from this year's first party (sept. 11) have trickled in, and people have confirmed park entry at 4pm using only the MNSSHP ticket. you do not have to use a regular ticket to enter at 4. however, if you want to go earlier than 4, you will need a regular ticket to get into MK. on our party day (oct. 25th), we are going to use our base ticket to go to DHS and then our MNSSHP ticket to enter MK at 4.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #18
Gollom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by raraavis View Post
in years past, you have been allowed entry to MK at 4pm using the MNSSHP ticket. reports from this year's first party (sept. 11) have trickled in, and people have confirmed park entry at 4pm using only the MNSSHP ticket. you do not have to use a regular ticket to enter at 4. however, if you want to go earlier than 4, you will need a regular ticket to get into MK. on our party day (oct. 25th), we are going to use our base ticket to go to DHS and then our MNSSHP ticket to enter MK at 4.
Thanks for the reply. I'd really appreciate confirmation from anybody else that we can get in with the MNSSHP ticket from 4pm onwards as that fits in exactly with what we want to do!

Cheers!
Gollom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #19
tracyz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I'd really appreciate confirmation from anybody else that we can get in with the MNSSHP ticket from 4pm onwards as that fits in exactly with what we want to do!

Cheers!
We did this when we went 2 years ago. It worked out perfectly, as 4-midnight was plenty of time in the park!
Old 09-17-2012, 11:39 PM   #20
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

I've been six times in October. Here's my input!

Good things about October
Lower crowds.
Food and Wine Festival.
Halloween party.
Weather can be very pleasant (but see below ...)
Resort rooms can cost less.
Possible free dining opportunity.

Bad things about October
Weather can be brutally hot and humid (mid-90s my last trip!)
Hurricane season - can be quite rainy (or you can get an actual hurricane!).
Shorter park hours.
It could bee too cool for pool or waterpark.

So, for me the "goods" outweigh the "bads". I've been to WDW during a hurricane (Wilma in 2005) and even that wasn't bad!

And FYI, I was there for Columbus Day in 2009 and didn't see an impact on crowds. Most folks don't get enough time off school at Columbus Day to make a vacation feasible (our kids in Tacoma don't even get the day off school for Columbus Day.). It's a fairly minor holiday for many schools and businesses.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:43 AM   #21
dragonfly08
DIS Veteran

I've been to Disney in March, April, June, July, August, September, October and December.

Weather-wise, October and late March/early April were my favorite times. Lower crowds, too. If it didn't mean taking my kids out of school, I'd definitely travel then but we're past the time where I am comfortable doing that.
dragonfly08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #22
NLD
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Cheers!
Did it last year (2011) with zero problems. I was in Orlando for a work conference so the ONLY Disney I did was MNSSHP one night. Specifically chose MNSSHP because the ticket cost less than a one-day park ticket and still gave me 8 hours of park time (4 pm - 12 midnight).

--

OP, October is a lovely time for Disney. However, please be aware that the crowds around Columbus Day will be there. It's not going to be empty parks.

As for pulling out of school.... my daughter has been twice now, and both times we pulled her out. And we're looking at a (non-Disney) Florida trip this January, pulling her out again. I don't regret any of it. We've pulled her out in kindergarten, second grade, and this year will be third grade. Totally worth it for the lower crowds and prices. (September and January for us.)

The one thing I'll say though is: CHECK your school's policies around this. Our district allows the kids to miss five days for educational trips--and they specifically say family vacations can be considered education trips. But any more than five days, and it counts as an unexcused absence--and there are serious potential consequences for unexcused absences, in our district. So while I'd love to take a longer trip someday, for us, there is no way she can miss more than five days of school.

EVERY school is different, though. Read your school's handbook so you know what policy is, and what the procedure is for taking them out.

Have fun!

Trip reports

Driving through the Desert: Our Utah and Arizona Trip

Breaking All the Rules! Pirates, Pixie Dust, and Pictures... a January 2012 WDW Trip Report

First family trip: September 2009 POR
Sisters trip: September 2010 AKL
MNSSHP only: October 27, 2011
Birthday trip for daughter: January 2012 WL

The Disboards Photography Forum
NLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:06 AM   #23
Gollom
Earning My Ears

Quote:

Cheers!
Anybody else managed to get in from 4pm this year?

Ta!
Gollom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #24
photofreak
Camping & Disney!! The 2 best things together in one!!

We love October-November weather... We think it's the best time to visit Disney!!
Jan/Feb 2010 Fort Wilderness Big Bear Path 1400 loop
Oct/Nov 2011 Fort Wilderness Palmetto Path 200 loop (took our besties for their 1st trip )
Oct/Nov 2012 Fort Wilderness Buffalo Bend 500 loop

Looking forward to 2013 Halloween at the Fort!!!
photofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #25
suzimar57
when i do put some makeup on, he's stunned!
loose screw i find in his work pants
It's cheesy, in a fun sort of way!

almost all of our trips have been in october

the food & wine festival, manageable crowds, good weather

only wish i could go for the entire month!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: