Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
bagheeramom
Mouseketeer

Considering cruise for the whole family. Kids ages 6-20. Question...

Dh and I have gone on a carnival cruise, and by the 4th day or so we were done. Did everything there was to do, etc.

Is there really enough to do on a Disney cruise for 7 NIGHTS! And is there really things of interest for all ages for that whole time? My kids are ages 20, 18, 14, 11, 7, and 6.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
April1971
Earning My Ears

Will you be getting off at the ports? We found seven days to be good, but by day 7, we were ready to go home. Since you already know that a four-day was your limit on Carnival, I would say that if you were staying on board, 7 days might be too much. But if you are getting off the ship, I think there is plenty to do if you take advantage of it. Definitely things for all ages. I'm very glad we did 7 days, but we did excursions at each port. In the future, we plan to do a shorter cruise, but probably stay a little more on the ship when in port because the ship is really amazing.
April1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Well, Disney isn't Carnival. My longest cruise on DCL was a 25 night B2B. OK, by then I was actually ready to be off the ship. We've cruised more than 25 times on DCL, with kids age 7 to 21.

There is way more than any one person can do on a 7 night cruise. Frankly, we did a Celebrity cruise in August and were a bit bored with the sea parts; that has never happened to us on DCL.

So, what is there?
Kid programs for age 3-17 with their own schedules, all day, every day
Movies--current and classic are shown, typically 4-5 different movies each day
Family activities--trivia games, sports things, Mickey 200 (a sort of soapbox derby where you make the car from vegetables!), dance, singing, Tea with Whomever, bingo, character meet and greets, water stuff, etc.
Adult activities--spa, fitness center, pool/water stuff, all family activities, fitness classes, sitting on deck reading, chilling out, etc.

Evenings--family and adult variety shows, broadway style shows in the theater, dances (family and adult), "game shows", etc.

The scheduled activities basically run from 9am to midnight for all ages with a few things earlier (sorry, I'm usually not up and dressed for the earlier!) New ships--Aquaduck and Midship detective agency.....what else am I forgetting????

TV in the room is free, on demand (unlike another line that had PPV). Not that I advocate TV on vacation, but.....
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

We researched all cruise lines last summer, and when we showed our older teens the Disney cruises, they nixed them, not because of characters, but because of lack of things for them to do. We settled on a RCL and they had rock climbing, basketball courts, ice skating, inline skating, pools etc. There just seemed to be so much more to do on other lines than on DCL. I know our younger kids would have loved a Disney cruise, but it wasn't going to make the bigger ones happy. Plus it was cheaper than DCL (we took a 9 night cruise for less than a 4 night DCL)
Old 09-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
Gilland18
DIS Veteran

We cruised last year with a range of 10 mos to 82 y/0. The kids were the infant, 2, 12, 14, 15, 18, 19. The 19 y/o, especially didn't do much except run up internet fees. The 18 y/o had the time of his life. Frankly, I think their reactions would have been exactly the same on any cruise line. One couldn't wait to go home and one wasn't ready to leave. Part of it is going to depend on personality, attitude, and mind set. What works for one family won't for the next.

Kim

WDW 1984, Polynesian/Wonder 2003, Pop Century 2006,
Wonder Alaska 2011, Wonder EBPC 2012
Gilland18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:56 PM   #6
SnowWhite2
DIS Veteran

My DDs (16 and 18) love DCL cruises...their favorite vacation. They do not want any other cruise line, even with discussin the other events like rock climbing, skating, etc. My kids are not Disney obsessed but have the time of their lives on DCL cruises. It is all what you make of it.

December 28, 2014 NYE Magic
November 10, 2014 Dream double-dip
June 9, 2014 Alaska Wonder
December 28, 2013 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2012 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2011 NYE Dream
December 26, 2009 NYE Magic
December 20, 2008 Christmas Magic
February 2, 2008 Eastern Magic
February 3, 2007 Eastern Magic
April 15, 2006 Western Magic
February 2003 Eastern Magic
SnowWhite2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:12 AM   #7
simbasmom2
Just waitin around till boarding time!

I have a 12yr old and almost 16 year old and they love DCL. The past posters are right...it really depends on your family. My family can find plenty to do and the kids love the programs/clubs. I find that a 7 nighter isnt enough for, I would like a few more days to just relax.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #8
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagheeramom
Dh and I have gone on a carnival cruise, and by the 4th day or so we were done. Did everything there was to do, etc.

Is there really enough to do on a Disney cruise for 7 NIGHTS! And is there really things of interest for all ages for that whole time? My kids are ages 20, 18, 14, 11, 7, and 6.
We find there is more to do on a DCL than other cruise lines. They have something going on at all times for all diff age groups. My kids are 19 ( 2 months shy of 20) and 14 and they both still love a Disney cruise. No, they don't hang with the characters, never have, but they have made friends on every cruise that they still talk to and they stay active while onboard. In fact, we have to make them meet us for dinner or we wouldn't see them at all!

Oh, and we think 7 days is a minimum for a cruise. Can't deal with the short ones on DCL. They go by way too fast.

As for the RCCL activities, we sailed to check it out. The inline skating and mini golf I believe was open at all times, but the rock wall and ice skating had very short operating hours. They were very displeased and they ended up calling RCCL Royal Boribbean. They haven't asked to go on another one. They made a couple of friends but not like a DCL cruise.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: