Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #1006
GatorEye
Mouseketeer
 
GatorEye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
That's a good idea, especially since the rooftop viewing (and possibly Flag Family) technically aren't 'Disney sanctioned activities' since technically there are some ADA 'issues.' To be safe, I would assume that you won't be able to do it. In fact, I even removed the rooftop viewing from the first page months ago. Let us know what Plans B & C end-up being - a fireworks cruise perhaps or CA Grill?
Plan A actually was going to be a Wishes cruise, but it's a lot of money for what it is so I kind of didn't want to go that route. Plan B was a crazy custom cake. Some of the ones I saw in the cake thread were amazing. Less expensive than the cruise, but still a pretty sizeable chunk of change for what it is. The rooftop Wishes viewing seemed "special" and the price was right so that is what I was hoping for.

I always do the tuxedo strawberries and sparkling cider so the kids can enjoy it as well, but wanted something a little different this year. Any ideas?

Oh, that reminds me of the other thing I asked - did you confirm if they are not doing the sleigh rides from WL this year? We did that one year and it was nice being picked up and dropped off at the lobby, but if we had to go to Ft. Wilderness to be picked up, I wouldn't do it.
__________________
Wilderness Lodge and Wilderness Lodge CL: A Lot!
GatorEye is offline  
Old 09-27-2012, 05:50 AM   #1007
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy
 
WDWKOOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NoVA
Posts: 16,245

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvallprincesses View Post
We have a Woods View room booked for our first WL stay Nov 23-Dec 1. I am contemplating our room request. We would love a view of Wishes/Castle, but at the same time have to consider DS6 who is very small for his age at (almost...keeping fingers crossed) 44 inches who will not be able to see over the closed balconies and I don't want to prevent him from a great view. Is there a level high enough that still has the open balconies but that there is also a chance of seeing Wishes...or is this asking for too much Magic?
The highest floor that does not have enclosed balcony railings is the 5th. Some of the 6th floor rooms do have them and all of the 7th. To be sure you have a see-thru railing, I would request a "Wishes view, 5th floor, please." When you check-in, just ask if you have a Wishes view and on what floor. There's no guarantee, but the room assignors know that the 5th floor is the highest floor with all see-thru balconies so they will do there best to accommodate your request. If you get a 6th floor, just ask about the railing first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorEye View Post
Plan A actually was going to be a Wishes cruise, but it's a lot of money for what it is so I kind of didn't want to go that route. Plan B was a crazy custom cake. Some of the ones I saw in the cake thread were amazing. Less expensive than the cruise, but still a pretty sizeable chunk of change for what it is. The rooftop Wishes viewing seemed "special" and the price was right so that is what I was hoping for.

I always do the tuxedo strawberries and sparkling cider so the kids can enjoy it as well, but wanted something a little different this year. Any ideas?

Oh, that reminds me of the other thing I asked - did you confirm if they are not doing the sleigh rides from WL this year? We did that one year and it was nice being picked up and dropped off at the lobby, but if we had to go to Ft. Wilderness to be picked up, I wouldn't do it.
I asked the CL manager and I looked on the internet, and there doesn't seem to be a carriage ride from WL anymore, only FW. But, that doesn't mean that couldn't change. Rooftop viewing was only a limited, special occasion event so there was never a guarantee that it would be offered. In fact, when we had it scheduled last year, there was lightning in the area so it was canceled at the last minute. It's easy getting over to FW, is there a reason why you wouldn't want to do the carriage ride from there? It's an easy walk, bus or boat ride to FW.

Besides a cake, CA Grill, strawberries (or other in room dining celebration), Wishes cruise, carriage ride... I can't think of other ideas in the WL area. You could take one of the boats right before Wishes. They usually will stop in the lake so guests can watch and it's free.
WDWKOOK is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #1008
pas130
DIS Veteran
 
pas130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,366

kathy Wonderful pics!!!! Thank you
__________________
Aug 14 TR: Go with the flow dudeJungleCruiser*Sarah,forever in my heart*
pas130 is offline  
Old 09-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #1009
ewalshslp
Mouseketeer
 
ewalshslp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NEPA
Posts: 118

Another room request question......

Hello to all you Wilderness Lodge Experts!! My family and I are going to be staying at WL Nov.10-18!!! Our first stay there!!!! I have been reading and researching FOREVER!!!!! We are checking in around 4-4:30. We have booked just a standard view room. What kind of room would we get if I don't put in any room requests? I keep reading everyone's suggestions, but they have me so confused. We're really not picky and since we have never stayed here before, really don't know the layout all that well. And we're still up in the air about online check-in. There seems to be so many differing opinions on that as well. Thoughts??
__________________
2002, POR, Honeymoon
2003, Offiste
2006, CBR, entire family!
2007, BWV, just the 3 of us
2009, BC, just the 4 of us
2012 Going ALL OUT!!!!!
2014, Back to the BWV

ewalshslp is offline  
Old 09-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #1010
cwt580
DIS Veteran
 
cwt580's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Buchanan, Mi
Posts: 877

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalshslp
Hello to all you Wilderness Lodge Experts!! My family and I are going to be staying at WL Nov.10-18!!! Our first stay there!!!! I have been reading and researching FOREVER!!!!! We are checking in around 4-4:30. We have booked just a standard view room. What kind of room would we get if I don't put in any room requests? I keep reading everyone's suggestions, but they have me so confused. We're really not picky and since we have never stayed here before, really don't know the layout all that well. And we're still up in the air about online check-in. There seems to be so many differing opinions on that as well. Thoughts??
Id ask for south wing towards villas.northwing std is of service area.
__________________

cwt580 is offline  
Old 09-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #1011
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 1,533

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalshslp View Post
Hello to all you Wilderness Lodge Experts!! My family and I are going to be staying at WL Nov.10-18!!! Our first stay there!!!! I have been reading and researching FOREVER!!!!! We are checking in around 4-4:30. We have booked just a standard view room. What kind of room would we get if I don't put in any room requests? I keep reading everyone's suggestions, but they have me so confused. We're really not picky and since we have never stayed here before, really don't know the layout all that well. And we're still up in the air about online check-in. There seems to be so many differing opinions on that as well. Thoughts??
I know it can be super confusing, and as much as everybody discusses it you'd think the differences are really big. The way I see it, the inside of the room is the same for all the rooms (with the exception of deluxe rooms or bunk bed rooms) regardless of view category or location. What varies is the view from the balcony or out the front door of your room. Location can affect noise levels as well, since rooms overlooking the loading area on the North side can have truck noise, and rooms overlooking the main pool could have afternoon pool noise.

The best source of information I've found on room views and locations is the map in the second post of this thread, here.

Looking at that map, you can see that there are relatively few standard view rooms. Most of the rooms in the resort are at least woods view, and ones that overlook the center of the resort or the villas pool on the South side are considered courtyard view. The way the (non Club Level) reservations seem to work, booking a particular view guarantees you that view or better. So, with booking a standard room you aren't guarranteed anything better, but based on the number of rooms available it is possible that you will end up with a better view if they have one available. If it is important enough to you to guarantee that you will have a particular view, you have the option of doing so but it costs extra.

The rooms on the West side of the resort (the far left on the map) have hallways that are open to the lobby on one side, which makes for a beautiful view out the front door of your room.


Compared to the number of rooms in the wings of the resort there are relatively few lobby rooms, but it is something you could ask for if you want. Disadvantages of these include possible noise from the lobby and the WCC restaurant that can get quite busy with activities in the evening.

Finally there's the option of whether or not to do online checkin. In my opinion, it seems to have little effect on the location of your room, since that is likely already done by the room assignors based on requests in your reservation and availability at the resort. People with specific requests sometimes feel better reiterating them with a person at the front desk. The way I see it, no matter how you checked in, if you would like to request a room change a CM will help you see what is available.

So, in my first experience at WL we were in much the same position as you, with a Standard view and no requests. We did online checkin, arrived later in the night than you will, and wound up with a courtyard view overlooking the main pool. For our second trip, we also booked a standard view, only requested connecting rooms, did online checkin, and got the connecting rooms with a woods view over the registration desk overlooking the lobby. Overall, both rooms were very nice and while it is interesting to compare the differences, all the rooms are in a very nice resort and likely will work out fine as long as you don't have any specific needs. Enjoy your trip, it will be here soon!
GrandCalifornian is offline  
Old 09-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #1012
ewalshslp
Mouseketeer
 
ewalshslp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NEPA
Posts: 118

thanks for all the info and for taking the time to respond! I really appreciate it.
__________________
2002, POR, Honeymoon
2003, Offiste
2006, CBR, entire family!
2007, BWV, just the 3 of us
2009, BC, just the 4 of us
2012 Going ALL OUT!!!!!
2014, Back to the BWV


Last edited by ewalshslp; 09-27-2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: spelling
ewalshslp is offline  
Old 09-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #1013
VbChristy
Mouseketeer
 
VbChristy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 481

I should probably know this, but can you see Wishes from the beach? And do they sell graham crackers at the resort so I can make s'mores during the marshmallow roast? Thank you!
VbChristy is offline  
Old 09-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #1014
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy
 
WDWKOOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NoVA
Posts: 16,245

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalshslp View Post
Hello to all you Wilderness Lodge Experts!! My family and I are going to be staying at WL Nov.10-18!!! Our first stay there!!!! I have been reading and researching FOREVER!!!!! We are checking in around 4-4:30. We have booked just a standard view room. What kind of room would we get if I don't put in any room requests? I keep reading everyone's suggestions, but they have me so confused. We're really not picky and since we have never stayed here before, really don't know the layout all that well. And we're still up in the air about online check-in. There seems to be so many differing opinions on that as well. Thoughts??
You've got some great advice below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwt580 View Post
Id ask for south wing towards villas.northwing std is of service area.
But, if you want to be able to see any possibility of seeing Wishes, you would need to request a high floor in the North Wing. If that isn't important then the South Wing does have a much better view and no noise from service vehicles backing-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandCalifornian View Post
I know it can be super confusing, and as much as everybody discusses it you'd think the differences are really big. The way I see it, the inside of the room is the same for all the rooms (with the exception of deluxe rooms or bunk bed rooms) regardless of view category or location. What varies is the view from the balcony or out the front door of your room. Location can affect noise levels as well, since rooms overlooking the loading area on the North side can have truck noise, and rooms overlooking the main pool could have afternoon pool noise.

The best source of information I've found on room views and locations is the map in the second post of this thread, here.

Looking at that map, you can see that there are relatively few standard view rooms. Most of the rooms in the resort are at least woods view, and ones that overlook the center of the resort or the villas pool on the South side are considered courtyard view. The way the (non Club Level) reservations seem to work, booking a particular view guarantees you that view or better. So, with booking a standard room you aren't guarranteed anything better, but based on the number of rooms available it is possible that you will end up with a better view if they have one available. If it is important enough to you to guarantee that you will have a particular view, you have the option of doing so but it costs extra.

The rooms on the West side of the resort (the far left on the map) have hallways that are open to the lobby on one side, which makes for a beautiful view out the front door of your room.


Compared to the number of rooms in the wings of the resort there are relatively few lobby rooms, but it is something you could ask for if you want. Disadvantages of these include possible noise from the lobby and the WCC restaurant that can get quite busy with activities in the evening.

Finally there's the option of whether or not to do online checkin. In my opinion, it seems to have little effect on the location of your room, since that is likely already done by the room assignors based on requests in your reservation and availability at the resort. People with specific requests sometimes feel better reiterating them with a person at the front desk. The way I see it, no matter how you checked in, if you would like to request a room change a CM will help you see what is available.

So, in my first experience at WL we were in much the same position as you, with a Standard view and no requests. We did online checkin, arrived later in the night than you will, and wound up with a courtyard view overlooking the main pool. For our second trip, we also booked a standard view, only requested connecting rooms, did online checkin, and got the connecting rooms with a woods view over the registration desk overlooking the lobby. Overall, both rooms were very nice and while it is interesting to compare the differences, all the rooms are in a very nice resort and likely will work out fine as long as you don't have any specific needs. Enjoy your trip, it will be here soon!
Thanks for your great advice and thoughts on the subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by VbChristy View Post
I should probably know this, but can you see Wishes from the beach? And do they sell graham crackers at the resort so I can make s'mores during the marshmallow roast? Thank you!
They don't sell graham crackers outside like they do at FW, but they do sell them at the Mercantile (upper right):




You can see Wishes from the beach and another great spot is the dock for the Red and Blue Flag boats.
WDWKOOK is offline  
Old 09-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #1015
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran
 
Wood Nymph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 5,126

Is Wishes the fireworks from Magic Kingdom?
__________________
~ Sue



Next up: WL - Jan 24 to 29, 2015; YC - April 15 - 21, 2015
WL - Oct 22-27, 2014, YC - Sept 24-28, 2014; BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline  
Old 09-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #1016
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 1,533

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph
Is Wishes the fireworks from Magic Kingdom?
Yep, it lasts about 20 minutes and is beautiful from many locations all around MK, including WL.
GrandCalifornian is offline  
Old 09-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #1017
2manypets
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,197

I'm sure this question has been answered many times before...but, are the busses shared with Fort Wilderness or other resorts? I'd love to stay at WL, but that would be a deal breaker.
__________________


2manypets is offline  
Old 09-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #1018
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran
 
Mousemommy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 11,208

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manypets View Post
I'm sure this question has been answered many times before...but, are the busses shared with Fort Wilderness or other resorts? I'd love to stay at WL, but that would be a deal breaker.
We found that the bus to the MK was direct w/no stops.
To other locations, we sometimes shared with Ft. Wilderness, GF, and Poly.
We did not find it to be a huge inconvenience as both GF and Poly are right down the street. Ft. Wilderness seemed a bit longer - seemed like lots of back roads, but again, none of our rides anywhere seemed out of control long. Maybe 10 minutes max?
__________________
(DH) (ME) (DD10) (DD8) (DS Due 1/12/15!!)



PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline  
Old 09-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #1019
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy
 
WDWKOOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NoVA
Posts: 16,245

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manypets View Post
I'm sure this question has been answered many times before...but, are the busses shared with Fort Wilderness or other resorts? I'd love to stay at WL, but that would be a deal breaker.
My experience with the MK bus has been as Mousemommy1 said, it's never shared with any other resort, but the Epcot bus will sometimes then go on to FW if the bus isn't full. The other buses will sometimes go on to the GF, but WL is always the first picked-up and dropped-off. I think the buses make seasonal and/or crowd-based adjustments and will sometimes go to the GF or Poly, but the MK bus has never shared that I know of.

It does seem to take a while to get to FW since they go down the road past Golden Oak to get to the entrance. If they just took that service road right next to WL, it'd be a lot faster!
WDWKOOK is offline  
Old 09-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #1020
Ilivetogo
I really DO want to live there!
I circulate my paper clips at work so they all get used or I feel like they'd be sad if they didn't get a "turn".
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Suburbs of Philadelphia
Posts: 8,481

Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to stay there, but we went to WDW Sept 5-7, 2012 and stopped by WL for dinner. Here's a few pics.



IMGP1191 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr


IMGP1194 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

.
__________________
Kris
Ilivetogo is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: