Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 01:04 AM   #1
Sorcerer Jody
Mouseketeer

Help please - August crowds?

Hello, just wondering if someone knows the answer to this question - when do most local schools go back into session in August - middle of the month, end of the month...? My extended family may be planning a trip to Disneyland August 2013 (hip hip hurray!), and at least one family member needs to book vacation time already. We would like to go when it isn't quite as crowded, as one of my children has some special needs, plus in total there will be eight children under the age of 6! Is there a significant difference in crowds between the third and fourth weeks of August? In Vancouver, we don't go back to school until after Labor Day. The third week would be better because two of us are teachers and usually start setting up our classrooms the fourth week, but if the fourth week is much less crowded, then we would consider it...thanks so much for any help!
Sorcerer Jody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
Elk Grove Chris
DIS Veteran

We have found that the first two weeks of August to be a pretty good time to be in the parks. Most of the kids are still out of school, but the crowds are not that bad. There are usually minimal ride closures and all of the entertainment is offered daily during the summer. If you can, hit the parks during the week and avoid the weekends.

Towards the end of August a lot of the blocked Annual Passes become unblocked, I would avoid those times.
Elk Grove Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
kittycruize
Mouseketeer

What about labor day weekend, how is that for crowds?
Old 09-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
mom2aidanNpiper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycruize
What about labor day weekend, how is that for crowds?
We were there this yr from Sep 1-8. It was busy! The 1/2 marathon is that weekend and it was noticeable! We actually did just a few rides that first day and walked around, then Sunday was the race and we left and did Legoland. It was really busy in the parks that evening. Monday wasn't as bad (still busy though) and the rest of the week was dead (well not dead like I've seen in yrs past but def slower). Most rides that week walk on except carsland

DL: 1985, 1988, 1994, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012 (x2),2013 (x2) WDW: 2010 DCL: 2010, 2011, 2012 Aulani : 2013, 2014
mom2aidanNpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

I just visited the week of Aug 20 2012 which was the third full week of August this year.

Mon Aug 20 was the first day of all annual passes being unblocked, which I had read about after making all my bookings, and was somewhat nervous about.

But in my opinion, I found the crowds to be manageable. I arrived each day at 8am for park opening (either DL or DCA; I didn't hop), and at 7am on Thursday Aug 23 for DL magic morning entry.

Between park opening and around 10:30-11, the parks were "empty" meaning it was the best time to walk on the rides, or see short lines, etc. It was wonderful. Later it got really busy but if you work your FastPass system (which you can still flex at DLR vs. at WDW) it was good.

Also nice to go hide out at Big Thunder Ranch, which was deserted as compared to the throngs outside, but where you could relax and see multiple characters (Mickey, Minnie, Chip, Dale, etc.) in western garb and no lines of any kind.

I spoke to a couple of CMs who said the crowd levels that week was a relief as compared to the previous summer weeks.

WDW: 17 | DLR: 2 | DCL: 2
Next: Aug 2014 DLR
jcarwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #6
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer Jody View Post
Hello, just wondering if someone knows the answer to this question - when do most local schools go back into session in August - middle of the month, end of the month...? My extended family may be planning a trip to Disneyland August 2013 (hip hip hurray!), and at least one family member needs to book vacation time already. We would like to go when it isn't quite as crowded, as one of my children has some special needs, plus in total there will be eight children under the age of 6! Is there a significant difference in crowds between the third and fourth weeks of August? In Vancouver, we don't go back to school until after Labor Day. The third week would be better because two of us are teachers and usually start setting up our classrooms the fourth week, but if the fourth week is much less crowded, then we would consider it...thanks so much for any help!
This question has of course been asked before. And there is no single answer. SoCal is a big place with 20 million people. Different school districts set different dates. My take - having grown up in the SoCal school system - is there is range of school start dates from late August thru early Sept with a larger number in September after Labor Day.

DLR 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: