DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #31
CRobin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbudlover
I travel a lot domestic and international and use Tripadvisor often. I also own at 3 different DVC resorts. Tripadvisor attracts the complainers so when I use it i look for the places with high responses and fewest complaints. There are always those who hate any particular place. that said although I do own DVC and use is at least 3 times a year, I always pay for extra housekeeping as I like daily housekeeping. Anyone who wants it can have it - and it is still cheaper than a comparable hotel. Comparable though is the key word there. DVC units are NOT comparable to the deluxe rooms at the same resorts, unless they are brand new. The bedding, linen, and toiletries are not of the same high calibre. I sold my points at VWL after staying there 3 times with bad housekeeping, broken TVs, lamps, and phones - the last time nothing worked properly and housekeeping didn't take the trash when they replaced the towels. And it was dirty and looked worn. I love DVC at AKL on the other hand. But seriously would prefer a higher calibre of bedding and linens. Why do we have to have the cheaper stuff? So when I want a really deluxe Disney experience I pay cash - and get the duvets and nice toiletries and wonderful pillows that I prefer. DVC is great for what it is - it suffers, imho, from being over-hyped. For deluxe go cash deluxe. For really great go DVC...
As far as your unfortunate VWL experience went, I have one answer - report it. Maybe you did and weren't satisfied with the response.

DVC never bills itself as The Park Place. In fact, all of the cash reservation literature calls DVC resorts "Home away from home". That probably doesn't translate as "best in class" to everyone (certainly not us). Nothing wrong with having higher standards though.....to each his own.

Last edited by CRobin; 09-26-2012 at 08:03 PM.
CRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #32
hroyale
Mouseketeer

I never read the reviews of the DVC units on trip advisor, although I do take what I read on there with a grain of salt. I found that if a particular review strikes a cord with me (either good or bad) that it's worth it to take the time to read other reviews by that poster.

That being said, we stayed at SSR one night for the first time this past summer. We needed to add one night and it was the only DVC with space left. I didn't expect much because of comments by others on these and other boards, even though I know several people who own and LOVE that resort.

We were pleasantly surprised by our experience. We had a car, but used the buses too. The buses were fast, the parking was nice and close, we were steps away from the new pool and the staff was great. Personally I prefer enclosed hallways so it won't move to the top of my list, but I will not hesitate to stay there again.

DS 10
DD 10
DH

hroyale is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #33
Kims09
Mouseketeer

As a fairly recent DVC owner (about 2 years) and someone who never stayed at a Deluxe resort before owning DVC, I don't think you will have any regrets. This is a much better way to vacation. I have not stayed at SSR, but that's on the bucket list. Yep, OKW is spread out, but we loved it there. I wouldn't worry about those reports you read; it will all turn out fine
Kims09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #34
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

I am a senior contributor on Trip Advisor. I have a post about OKW over there. I love OKW. I've had several helpful comments made on my OKW post. I usually try to post a report of every hotel I stay in. Most have been very positive, a few not as positive. Only two were more negative than positive.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: