Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #256
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo
 
DCTooTall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: York, PA
Posts: 5,957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasmiss View Post
Not anything like Disboards, but I wish! What a goldmine of customer feedback.... :D

No, not base it in of course, but take into consideration. I know that some of them used to read the forums not long ago, and I can't see why they would've stopped.

Anyhow, it doesn't matter what we think. Avatarland being delayed is hopefully a hint, but time will show
It's worth noting... Nothing even remotely official is hinting that the Avatar project has been delayed.

The latest rumors were based off a single fansite deciding that since Disney has not released any official concept art, that the project must have been delayed. More mainstream news sites then picked up that story and reported it as fact.

From a purely logical standpoint, It is not surprising in the least that concept art has not been released. First off, According to reports, Imagineering didn't get much lead time before the official announcement about a year ago that Disney had secured the Theme Park rights to the Avatar franchise. A year is a VERY short time to go from blue sky, to cohesive plan, to concept art depicting that plan, to legal and PR approving the release of that concept art to the public.

From a practical standpoint, Universal has been constructing what is generally regarded as Harry Potter Phase 2 since the beginning of the year, and we have yet to see any official Concept art, let alone official confirmation.

Disney has been constructing the new restrooms and pathway in Fantasyland in the old Skyway station location, and they haven't released any concept art for it either despite construction already reaching the steel going up stage.

Even the Test Track refurb concept art wasn't released until AFTER they closed the attraction for the extended refurb.... Even though you know they had it in-house for MONTHS or even years prior due to the logistical needs of actually planning such a major refurb/construction project, let alone the legal and contractual obligations as it's a sponsored pavilion which would require the buy-in (and probable input from) GM.

My point is that it's not unheard of, or even really unexpected, for details such as concept art to be played close to the chest at this point. At the very least, I highly doubt we'll get any real updates or new information (including concept art) until after the Holiday season for 2 huge reasons. 1. The traditional excuse that Disney wouldn't want to influence people to postpone planned trips for the new attractions, and 2. With the opening of the Fantasyland Expansion so close, they will want to focus all their marketting and PR attention to the newly opened attractions and areas of their resort instead of stealing the focus away by releasing information about another project in the early stages of planning.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #257
Fantasmiss
DIS Veteran
 
Fantasmiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,019

I'm basing it on the IGN article: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/09/0...-fourth-avatar

I'm not saying this is proof of anything of course, but here's to hoping. The truth is we can't know for sure, even if Disney actually make an official announcement. As we all know they've officially announced things before and then changed their minds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
It's worth noting... Nothing even remotely official is hinting that the Avatar project has been delayed.

The latest rumors were based off a single fansite deciding that since Disney has not released any official concept art, that the project must have been delayed. More mainstream news sites then picked up that story and reported it as fact.

From a purely logical standpoint, It is not surprising in the least that concept art has not been released. First off, According to reports, Imagineering didn't get much lead time before the official announcement about a year ago that Disney had secured the Theme Park rights to the Avatar franchise. A year is a VERY short time to go from blue sky, to cohesive plan, to concept art depicting that plan, to legal and PR approving the release of that concept art to the public.

From a practical standpoint, Universal has been constructing what is generally regarded as Harry Potter Phase 2 since the beginning of the year, and we have yet to see any official Concept art, let alone official confirmation.

Disney has been constructing the new restrooms and pathway in Fantasyland in the old Skyway station location, and they haven't released any concept art for it either despite construction already reaching the steel going up stage.

Even the Test Track refurb concept art wasn't released until AFTER they closed the attraction for the extended refurb.... Even though you know they had it in-house for MONTHS or even years prior due to the logistical needs of actually planning such a major refurb/construction project, let alone the legal and contractual obligations as it's a sponsored pavilion which would require the buy-in (and probable input from) GM.

My point is that it's not unheard of, or even really unexpected, for details such as concept art to be played close to the chest at this point. At the very least, I highly doubt we'll get any real updates or new information (including concept art) until after the Holiday season for 2 huge reasons. 1. The traditional excuse that Disney wouldn't want to influence people to postpone planned trips for the new attractions, and 2. With the opening of the Fantasyland Expansion so close, they will want to focus all their marketting and PR attention to the newly opened attractions and areas of their resort instead of stealing the focus away by releasing information about another project in the early stages of planning.
__________________
Sept/Oct 2005 - WDW - Animal Kingdom Lodge - 1 week - honeymoon
Jan/Feb 2007 - WDW - All Star Movies - 2 weeks - birthday trip
Nov 2007 - DLP - Dream Castle Hotel - 4 days
May 2008 - WDW - All Star Sports - 2 weeks
Jan 2009 - WDW - All Star Music + All Star Movies - 2 weeks - birthday trip
Feb/Mar 2010 - DLP - Santa Fe - 6 days
Jan 2011 - WDW - All Star Movies & Pop Century - 17 days - birthday trip
May 2011 - WDW - All Star Sports - 17 days - anniversary trip
Nov 2011 - DLP - Hotel Cheyenne - 6 days
Oct/Nov 2012 - WDW - All Star Sports+Art of Animation - 3 weeks - 10th Disney Trip
Oct/Nov 2013 - WDW - All Star Sports - 25 days - birthday trip
MAR 2014 - DLP - Hotel Cheyenne - 5 days- birthday trip

MAY 2014 - WDW - ALL STAR SPORTS - 17 DAYS - ANNIVERSARY TRIP!

Fantasmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #258
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo
 
DCTooTall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: York, PA
Posts: 5,957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasmiss View Post
I'm basing it on the IGN article: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/09/0...-fourth-avatar

I'm not saying this is proof of anything of course, but here's to hoping. The truth is we can't know for sure, even if Disney actually make an official announcement. As we all know they've officially announced things before and then changed their minds.
And if you check the source for the IGN article, it's a fansite hypothesis.


Most other "mainstream" news sites which reported it, sourced IGN as their information source, but if you backtrack IGN's source, it's just a case of wishful thinking by a Disney fan.

(I'm pretty sure someone posted the actual link to the original source earlier in this thread.)
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #259
awoogala
Mouseketeer
 
awoogala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 293

yuck. I have no interest in avatar...I have never even seen the movie. I know progress, new things, blah blah. I just want Disney, all the time. No interest in any blockbuster movies coming in to spoil my disney! (this includes any marvel characters.)
__________________
Lisa
Offsite once a year 1974- 1989, POP 2009, BW 2010, Contemporary 2011, BLT 2013, Poly 2014
awoogala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #260
Fantasmiss
DIS Veteran
 
Fantasmiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,019

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
And if you check the source for the IGN article, it's a fansite hypothesis.


Most other "mainstream" news sites which reported it, sourced IGN as their information source, but if you backtrack IGN's source, it's just a case of wishful thinking by a Disney fan.

(I'm pretty sure someone posted the actual link to the original source earlier in this thread.)
As I said, I know it's not proof of anything. I'm another case of wishfull thinking by a Disney fan. I'm just hoping it won't happen and they'll do something else exciting instead. Like with part of the first announcement of new Fantasyland.
__________________
Sept/Oct 2005 - WDW - Animal Kingdom Lodge - 1 week - honeymoon
Jan/Feb 2007 - WDW - All Star Movies - 2 weeks - birthday trip
Nov 2007 - DLP - Dream Castle Hotel - 4 days
May 2008 - WDW - All Star Sports - 2 weeks
Jan 2009 - WDW - All Star Music + All Star Movies - 2 weeks - birthday trip
Feb/Mar 2010 - DLP - Santa Fe - 6 days
Jan 2011 - WDW - All Star Movies & Pop Century - 17 days - birthday trip
May 2011 - WDW - All Star Sports - 17 days - anniversary trip
Nov 2011 - DLP - Hotel Cheyenne - 6 days
Oct/Nov 2012 - WDW - All Star Sports+Art of Animation - 3 weeks - 10th Disney Trip
Oct/Nov 2013 - WDW - All Star Sports - 25 days - birthday trip
MAR 2014 - DLP - Hotel Cheyenne - 5 days- birthday trip

MAY 2014 - WDW - ALL STAR SPORTS - 17 DAYS - ANNIVERSARY TRIP!

Fantasmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #261
MJMcBride
Barely lost is barely found
 
MJMcBride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,915

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasmiss

You sound strangely sure, why? Do you know him or do you have some other kind of inside info?
Nothing that's not out there. That is Cameroon and imagineers are butting heads which shouldn't be surprising. It happened with Lucas too
__________________
Ms. Jobson, no one in Africa calls them Thomson's gazelles. They are tommies! tommies!


WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM


Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom
MJMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #262
monkeyjuce
When you change the way you look at things the things you look at change!
 
monkeyjuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Bucks Co. Pa (Philly burbs)
Posts: 92

Nothing lasts forever...
__________________
monkeyjuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #263
DanBoris
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
It's worth noting... Nothing even remotely official is hinting that the Avatar project has been delayed.

The latest rumors were based off a single fansite deciding that since Disney has not released any official concept art, that the project must have been delayed.

This it not true. There are people on other message boards who have proven track records for having inside knowledge of what is going on inside Disney. A number of these people have reported that project is having difficulties and has mainly come down to a conflict between what Cameron wants and what Disney is willing to pay for. Anyone who has read anything about Cameron's past projects should be surprised at all about that.
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #264
DanBoris
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMcBride View Post
I do not know your business but I suspect it does not have a small very very vocal community on websites.

DIS and other communities make up a very small percentage of guests. Disney will not base thier strategies on what we say here
Not to mention the fact that you would probably want to know what non-Disney fans think of this idea, since these are the people you really want to go after if you want to grow WDW attendance. By going with a non-Disney proprety you can potentially tap into a population who has never, or very rarely visted Disney. Whether Avatar would achieve that or not is up for debate.
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #265
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo
 
DCTooTall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: York, PA
Posts: 5,957

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBoris View Post
This it not true. There are people on other message boards who have proven track records for having inside knowledge of what is going on inside Disney. A number of these people have reported that project is having difficulties and has mainly come down to a conflict between what Cameron wants and what Disney is willing to pay for. Anyone who has read anything about Cameron's past projects should be surprised at all about that.
Difficulties, or butting of heads though I wouldn't call an official delay. It's just part of the process.

In many ways, the creative processes aren't going to impacted too much during the early processes by the money people. It's not until they start to get an idea of what they want to do, that they will have a better idea of the costs, and then the money people will get involved.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #266
Reddog1134
DIS Veteran
 
Reddog1134's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,394

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBoris View Post
This it not true. There are people on other message boards who have proven track records for having inside knowledge of what is going on inside Disney. A number of these people have reported that project is having difficulties and has mainly come down to a conflict between what Cameron wants and what Disney is willing to pay for. Anyone who has read anything about Cameron's past projects should be surprised at all about that.
I don't know if you're reading the same boards as me but some of "those" type people are saying Avatarland has slowed down to a snails pace and attention is being shifted to DHS.
Reddog1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #267
DanBoris
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
Difficulties, or butting of heads though I wouldn't call an official delay. It's just part of the process.

In many ways, the creative processes aren't going to impacted too much during the early processes by the money people. It's not until they start to get an idea of what they want to do, that they will have a better idea of the costs, and then the money people will get involved.
The reports I have read are that they have already reached the point of knowing what they want to do and money has now become the point of contention and that this is delaying and may eventually kill the project.
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #268
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...
 
pilferk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 6,550

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBoris View Post
This it not true. There are people on other message boards who have proven track records for having inside knowledge of what is going on inside Disney. A number of these people have reported that project is having difficulties and has mainly come down to a conflict between what Cameron wants and what Disney is willing to pay for. Anyone who has read anything about Cameron's past projects should be surprised at all about that.
Actually, it IS true.

Nothing official has been announced.

The "recent rumors" (meaning the ones spawned from the IGN article...see reference from previous poster, above) ARE all sourced back to a single article which says the reason they suspect a delay is simply the fact they've seen no concept art.

Now...there may be other rumors out there, from other sources. But, proven track record or not, they are unsourced internet rumors on message boards....which means they should be considered as such.

I have not seen any reputable source (meaning press or reputable web site) publish rumors NOT sourced back to that original IGN article....
__________________
Disney dreamin'...Somewhere!
11 9 7 (...our little Disney Souvenir)

Last edited by pilferk; 09-27-2012 at 01:36 PM.
pilferk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #269
DanBoris
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk View Post
Actually, it IS true.

Nothing official has been announced.

The "recent rumors" (meaning the ones spawned from the IGN article...see reference from previous poster, above) ARE all sourced back to a single article which says the reason they suspect a delay is simply the fact they've seen no concept art.

Now...there may be other rumors out there, from other sources. But, proven track record or not, they are unsourced internet rumors on message boards....which means they should be considered as such.
But if you read message boards long enough, you learn who you can trust, and who you can't. Taking into consideration all the evidence I have seen, I tend to believe the reports that Avatar is not moving ahead smoothly. I think it is unfair to claim that rumors of it's delay are based soley on the lack of concept art.
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #270
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...
 
pilferk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 6,550

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBoris View Post
But if you read message boards long enough, you learn who you can trust, and who you can't. Taking into consideration all the evidence I have seen, I tend to believe the reports that Avatar is not moving ahead smoothly. I think it is unfair to claim that rumors of it's delay are based soley on the lack of concept art.
They're still message board rumors, right? 'Nuff said.

YOU might lend credence to them..but you can't actually expect others to. I don't mean that as a knock on you, either. But anonymously posted, non-cross checked, non-corroberated rumors, of any type, are certainly to be taken with a pretty big grain of salt. And you certainly can't tell someone they're "wrong" based on that. Yes, it's more information to consider....but it's up to the individual how much weight they want to give to them. It's certainly not evidence that what was being said was "not true".

And, again, in the context of the conversation...the "recent rumors" being talked about were those sourced to the IGN article (look at the poster DC was talking to..THEY linked the IGN article and said it was their source)...because they're the only "recent rumors" from any sort of reputable source.

Unless there's something else out there we've missed?
__________________
Disney dreamin'...Somewhere!
11 9 7 (...our little Disney Souvenir)

Last edited by pilferk; 09-28-2012 at 05:41 AM.
pilferk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: