Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #16
MI mom of 3
didn't feel any panic that we were missing things

Ok I was mistaken. He thought it was until August but as of now he's there until May. I'm sure he will try and extend.

He is in custodial. Which he's pretty happy with. He would have been happy with anything except food service.

He will be home this weekend and we can discuss a few of the specifics.

Now he has to get with his university and find out how they handle everything.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the parents thread. That'll help me tremendously

I'm so happy for him!

'67 Disneyland; '74, '75 Fort Wilderness; '82 Treehouses; '83, '85, '89 Fairway Villas; '91 Grand Vista Suites; '93 Beach Club; '93 Fairway Villas; '94 OKW; '95 AllStar Sports; '96 Disneyland, '97 OKW; '99, '01 OKW/Vero; '01 Boardwalk; '03, '05 OKW/Vero; '06 CSR; '07 POFQ; '07 OKW/Vero; '08 Poly; '09 OKW/Vero; '11 Saratoga Springs; '11 OKW/Vero; '12 Vero Beach; '12 Beach Club Villas; '13 AllStar Music; '13 Pop Century; '13 OKW/Vero; '13 Art of Animation; '13 AllStar Sports; '14 Pop Century
MI mom of 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #17
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

Congrats to him!! So exciting!
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #18
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

Since I know nothing about this program, I will ask some stupid questions...Does this help with future employment? How? What do they learn? Is there a reason to take time off from school to do this?
Old 09-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #19
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Congratulations to your son! I wouldn't trade my time in the College Program for anything in the world. My time there matured me more than all of my other semesters in college combined. Go ahead and have him start thinking about what kind of place he is looking to live in as far as roommates go. Is he the kind who would do better with 1, 3, 5 or 7 roommates? Will he want to have a car while he is there? Does he want to do the responsible thing and start an account to put the money he earns away, or does he want to do what is more typical of the college kids and spend what he makes? Both have their advantages.

He is just starting out on a journey that I would love to get to relive. Tell him to enjoy every minute of it!

[/url]
JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #20
ladypage
And that's how the story about me sleeping with the entire Polish national basketball team started

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI mom of 3 View Post
Ok I was mistaken. He thought it was until August but as of now he's there until May. I'm sure he will try and extend.

He is in custodial. Which he's pretty happy with. He would have been happy with anything except food service.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the parents thread. That'll help me tremendously

I'm so happy for him!
I had a few friends in custodial, and they loved it! I'm sure he will too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin View Post
Since I know nothing about this program, I will ask some stupid questions...Does this help with future employment? How? What do they learn? Is there a reason to take time off from school to do this?
In what I saw, it definitely helped with future employment in the company, especially for those that kept their record cards clean. Most of the people I know stayed working there either as seasonal or part time, a few full time, or left and have come back already. It really is a good company to work for.

The college program, while technically called an internship, doesn't have too much education wise, to be honest. For some majors it can be helpful depending on the role you get, like if you're studying hospitality. And they do have some classes that may or may not be worth credit from your school. It is really useful if you want to later apply for a Professional Internship, which is more of a true internship, in your field of study.

Former Epcot CM

PROUD MEMBER OF
GIRAFFE WATCH 2012

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009176
ladypage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:08 AM   #21
AnnaS

The puppy has now left the building and I am exhausted
Will you be rolling?
I can't wait to try them all

Quote:

I'm so happy for him!
Congratulations!!!! How long did it take for him to hear anything after his phone interview? Thank you.

Upcoming/planned trips:
March - SSR
October BCV F & W - 4 N. DCL Dream Double Dip

DCL '01 Eastern, '03 Western, '05 West Coast Cruise ºoº '07 11 N. Med. Cruise, '13 Western
WDW - CBR, POR, POP, OKW, BWV, BCV, AKV, VWL, HH & VB, SSR,
AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #22
MI mom of 3
didn't feel any panic that we were missing things

His interview was a Tuesday night. He heard the following Wednesday. So just over a week.

'67 Disneyland; '74, '75 Fort Wilderness; '82 Treehouses; '83, '85, '89 Fairway Villas; '91 Grand Vista Suites; '93 Beach Club; '93 Fairway Villas; '94 OKW; '95 AllStar Sports; '96 Disneyland, '97 OKW; '99, '01 OKW/Vero; '01 Boardwalk; '03, '05 OKW/Vero; '06 CSR; '07 POFQ; '07 OKW/Vero; '08 Poly; '09 OKW/Vero; '11 Saratoga Springs; '11 OKW/Vero; '12 Vero Beach; '12 Beach Club Villas; '13 AllStar Music; '13 Pop Century; '13 OKW/Vero; '13 Art of Animation; '13 AllStar Sports; '14 Pop Century
MI mom of 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #23
AnnaS

The puppy has now left the building and I am exhausted
Will you be rolling?
I can't wait to try them all

Quote:
His interview was a Tuesday night. He heard the following Wednesday. So just over a week.
Thank you Michele. I know it's not set in stone - but just curious.

Upcoming/planned trips:
March - SSR
October BCV F & W - 4 N. DCL Dream Double Dip

DCL '01 Eastern, '03 Western, '05 West Coast Cruise ºoº '07 11 N. Med. Cruise, '13 Western
WDW - CBR, POR, POP, OKW, BWV, BCV, AKV, VWL, HH & VB, SSR,
AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:03 AM   #24
jacque1282
Earning My Ears

I did the Spring in 2005 and did custodial in Animal Kingdom. I LOVED it. The hardest thing I had trouble with was adjusting to the higher cost of living from Oklahoma to Florida. I don't know what the difference would be from where you live to there. It may not be different at all anymore since the economy is bad everywhere. One thing that I did to remember my experience was that I kept a journal while I was there. I wrote in it every day and may have just had one or two lines about what I did, but I still look through it every now and then. Such wonderful memories. If you or he have any questions, feel free to PM me!
Old 09-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #25
MagicalAmandaFay
A dream is a wish your heart makes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin View Post
This looks amazing on a resume. Every job interview I have had since my college program,they spend the whole time asking about Disney. Which of course I could talk about Disney all day. Disney has such high standards, people love to have a former Disney employee on their staff.

There are a million and one things to learn and not everyone is cut out to work at Disney. If someone comes to work and they haven't shaved, they will be sent home. They learn about how to treat guests, self confidence, time management, responsibility...the list goes on and on.

As far as taking time off school. Through many schools you can still get college credit. Plus doing the college program, you can decide if it is a company you would like to come back to after college.
MagicalAmandaFay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #26
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

I'm curious about this too, and not sure how it works.

I went over to the website to read up on it and found this as a requirement:

1. Be Enrolled as a Full-Time or Part-Time Student and Taking Classes
Students must be currently enrolled and taking classes in an accredited college or university in the United States and have completed at least one semester.
•Students who have not yet graduated from high school but have dual enrollment with a college are not eligible to apply.
Those who have taken college courses, but are currently taking "time off" from school are not eligible to apply.

OK.... so maybe I'm having a dumb moment here, but how can a student be currently enrolled in a college AND do this college program at Disney full time?? Is it only for students in the Orlando area? It specifically says, students cannot take time off from school. Says they MUST be taking classes...

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years

Currently reading: #13 A Mother's Hope by Francine Rivers

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #27
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
I'm curious about this too, and not sure how it works.

I went over to the website to read up on it and found this as a requirement:

1. Be Enrolled as a Full-Time or Part-Time Student and Taking Classes
Students must be currently enrolled and taking classes in an accredited college or university in the United States and have completed at least one semester.
•Students who have not yet graduated from high school but have dual enrollment with a college are not eligible to apply.
Those who have taken college courses, but are currently taking "time off" from school are not eligible to apply.

OK.... so maybe I'm having a dumb moment here, but how can a student be currently enrolled in a college AND do this college program at Disney full time?? Is it only for students in the Orlando area? It specifically says, students cannot take time off from school. Says they MUST be taking classes...
You are enrolled full time when you do the interview. Then, the semester for which you are selected, you take time away from college to do the internship. Most universities will recognize it through at least one of their majors or colleges. I actually interviewed with one girl who was in her final semester of college. She graduated and stared the college program the next day. So, just be enrolled in school when you are applying and you are good to go

[/url]
JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: