Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #31
Aneille
I am still looking for mafia members
And why don't boys play ringette?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut36 View Post
So you feed them a 2nd lunch and then proceed to feed them dinner a few hours later? I can't see why a "huge 2nd lunch" could possibly be needed when dinner would likely be served within a few hours of returning home (here kids get out at 3:30..we eat dinner by 5:30-6pm at the latest). Maybe I am misunderstanding your school start/lunch/stop and dinner times?
No and yes. They have lunch early somewhere between 11:00-12:30(if I remember right) and get home at 3:30 so they are hungry. They have a small breakfast and usually a small dinner around 7:30-8pm.

My 2 oldest are extremely active and they need that extra fuel at 3:30 to get through there activities. They have 1-2 hours of high energy sports after school M-F.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #32
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneille View Post
Oh and my big complaint....

Changing the food isn't the only answer. They need to educate the kids on healthy food choices. Telling them a few times isn't good enough either. They need to put into practice with food logs etc and help them understand good food choices.

But that will not happen in most schools as it will take away valuable time away from reading, math etc..

So I don't see this as really helping anything. Its a band aid.
Well by all means they should just continue with crap because they don't have enough hours in the day to do yet another thing the parents should be doing. Food logs are excessive IMO and I know my kids school does nutrition education starting in 1st grade. Do they spend hours every day on it? Of course not..nobody did that when I was in school either but they do spend some time each year on things like the food pyramid (well now "the plate"), food choices, portion sizes..etc.

Really the job belongs to the parents and it's ridiculous to fault the school for not doing yet another parental job on top of everything else that falls to them. Offering them healthy food choices is a more positive step than saying "oh well" and continuing the way things are.

Has anyone taken a look at the standards? They are not torturing these kids..they are just doing things like increase veggies from a 1/2 cup per meal to 1 cup. They are doing things like capping calorie content and removing trans fat..not giving them twigs and rocks to eat.
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #33
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No and yes. They have lunch early somewhere between 11:00-12:30(if I remember right) and get home at 3:30 so they are hungry. They have a small breakfast and usually a small dinner around 7:30-8pm.

My 2 oldest are extremely active and they need that extra fuel at 3:30 to get through there activities. They have 1-2 hours of high energy sports after school M-F.
That matches when my kids eat and I have never found a need to serve them a 2nd lunch and then a dinner. Now they have a snack when they get home (some fruit, a yogurt, cheese..etc) but not an entire meal. Obviously in my instance we have an earlier dinner. My kids are getting ready for bed at 8pm..I can't imagine eating dinner then..what time do your kids going to sleep (just curious).

Last edited by Coconut36; 09-26-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #34
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohforyou View Post
Wait until your kids are teens. You'll have mutiny on your hands if you limit their food. My dd is 13 and a string bean but she can out eat me and sometimes even dh. I agree with limiting junk but when she's hungry she's free to eat almost anything. I believe in teaching kids to read their own cues when it comes to what their bodies need. Controlling doesn't work in the long run Imo.
Bring on the mutiny then. My DS will eat me out of house and home if I let him now. Not all children listen to their own cues. As I mentioned, fruit and veggies are unlimited but everything else is limited. If they are hungry they can get all the fruits and veggies they want. All kids are different. So far it has worked great. I am very good with feeding a well balanced meal though.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #35
Aneille

[QUOTE=ccgirl;46274214]If they don't like the lunch the school isn't serving; why don't you send in a lunch? Genuinely curious.[QUOTE]

My kids pack their lunch. My oldest has celiac disease and my other 2 are gluten free by our family choice.

I just don't know how much they actually eat. It comes back empty but my 9 year old often complains she doesn't have time to eat. I think she talks to much...but I don't really know, I'm not there.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #36
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Well by all means they should just continue with crap because they don't have enough hours in the day to do yet another thing the parents should be doing. Food logs are excessive IMO and I know my kids school does nutrition education starting in 1st grade. Do they spend hours every day on it? Of course not..nobody did that when I was in school either but they do spend some time each year on things like the food pyramid (well now "the plate"), food choices, portion sizes..etc.

Really the job belongs to the parents and it's ridiculous to fault the school for not doing yet another parental job on top of everything else that falls to them. Offering them healthy food choices is a more positive step than saying "oh well" and continuing the way things are.

Has anyone taken a look at the standards? They are not torturing these kids..they are just doing things like increase veggies from a 1/2 cup per meal to 1 cup. They are doing things like capping calorie content and removing trans fat..not giving them twigs and rocks to eat.
There is a happy medium between "crap" and tofu, though you for some reason seem to be fixated on the incorrect notion that everyone feeds their children "crap".
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #37
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Bolding mine. That could be the reason they are hungry when they get home. They did not get the right start. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It jump starts the metabolism and the body.
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
Old 09-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #38
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
I have this same vent - no meal, no milk. I have one with celiac, so of course she never buys. It would be nice to send her in with some gf cereal, and have her be able to at least buy milk. There is no milk for sale in the elementary school.
I would think that because of her dietary issue, she should be able to purchase milk. that is WRONG. I think I would try and go over to a higher power and get permission for her to buy milk.

My DD was just diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, there is a strict no food or drink policy in the classroom, but you better believe that her teachers and the nurse are over the top cooperative in allowing her food and drink in the class. They have been WONDERFUL.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #39
Aneille

Quote:
That matches when my kids eat and I have never found a need to serve them a 2nd lunch and then a dinner. Now they have a snack when they get home (some fruit, a yogurt, cheese..etc) but not an entire meal.
Well mine do. Dont' know why. I'll make them a sandwhich with chips or fruit. Or mac and cheese. Yesterday they had some gluten free pizza.

My kids are very fit, lean and very active maybe thats why(I dont' know), they have no extra weight on them and eat pretty healthy but not as healthy as I would like. But thats what they eat and they have never had a weight issue.

Maybe I shouldn't have said huge and instead they eat about the same as their first lunch they have at school.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #40
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
Everyone warned me, and boy is it true - teenaged boys can eat! Ds14 easily eats two sandwiches in a sitting. He is about 5'9", 130 pounds, and not done growing. He plays HS sports, so doesn't get home from school until after 6. I have his dinner hot and waiting for him (all the kids have daily activities, so we eat at different times).

Granted, I can't even imagine eating over 800 calories for lunch, but teens need way more calories than a middle aged woman:

Calorie needs jump for both males and females ages 14 to 18 years, when growth spurts occur. Males in this age group, approximately 68 inches tall and 134 lbs., require 3,152 calories daily. These are general guidelines. To be more specific, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture My Pyramid Plan, a 15-year-old male, 68 inches tall and 134 lbs. who participates in moderate physical activity 30 to 60 minutes every day needs about 2,800 calories daily for optimum health

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/13...#ixzz27bEKrCbz
I agree with everything you said.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #41
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgirl View Post
Bring on the mutiny then. My DS will eat me out of house and home if I let him now. Not all children listen to their own cues. As I mentioned, fruit and veggies are unlimited but everything else is limited. If they are hungry they can get all the fruits and veggies they want. All kids are different. So far it has worked great. I am very good with feeding a well balanced meal though.
But your son is 2. I am very good with a well balanced meal also, but a couple extra pieces of fruit for a 5'10" boy that is still growing doesn't cut it. I remember when my DS was 2. I had to limit his bread and other things, now, he is an eating machine. A 2 year old is not a teen.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #42
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

To those moms who have children who can't buy milk: you can buy milk and chocolate milk at the grocery and send it in their lunch boxes. I did that for my kids. They didn't have enough time to stand in line for a milk and be able to eat their packed lunch, so I just packed everything for them with a 'blue ice cube' to keep it all cold.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #43
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by diznygirl View Post
The sad part is that most people aren't listening to the complaints because they assume all that kids will eat is junk. They will eat good food - if it tastes good. What is so hard to understand about that?
Some will, some won't. We've been the "kid house" in the neighborhood for over a decade now and I've seen some kids very willing to try new things, others more reluctant but will give it a shot eventually, and a few that simply reject anything unfamiliar.

Quote:
If a school is preparing poorly tasting food the issue is the school/vendor not the new standards (and I can't believe it is only a problem now..what I believe is that they can't keep pumping out nuggets and pizza and thus their inadequacies in their cooking ability is becoming apparent now).
I agree. I've generally been pleased with our school lunch service but we don't see the grossness that I hear about online and that I remember from the elem lunches when I was a kid. I do believe that some of the worst problems right now are with food service contractors that serve primarily heat-and-eat frozen foods, because they're having the hardest time adjusting their offerings to stay within budget and time constraints while meeting the new standards. Processed meats and simple starches are easier to prep en mass, distribute, and hold at serving temps for an extended time, while veggies and healthier starches are easily ruined.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #44
Aneille

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgirl View Post
Bolding mine. That could be the reason they are hungry when they get home. They did not get the right start. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It jump starts the metabolism and the body.
It might be but they enter the school building at 8:45 and then they eat about 2.5 hours later. If I made them a big breakfast they wouldn't eat lunch.

They have cereal for breakfast or 2 frozen waffles. Sometimes they have 2 eggs.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #45
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
But your son is 2. I am very good with a well balanced meal also, but a couple extra pieces of fruit for a 5'10" boy that is still growing doesn't cut it. I remember when my DS was 2. I had to limit his bread and other things, now, he is an eating machine. A 2 year old is not a teen.
I haven't updated my children's ages in quite a few years. They are a good deal older than they were then. A typical day eating in my house is the following: Their breakfast consists of a bowl of oatmeal with fresh fruit in it, a yogurt, banana, and a cup of juice. Their lunch is a turkey roll up, pretzels, apple, raw carrots and milk. Their mid day snack is usually a Fiber one bar or apple slices with peanut butter. Dinner at home is baked chicken breast, baked potato, broccoli and a salad with a glass of milk. If they need anything in between those only fruit and veggies are allowed. My DH is 6 feet and he remembers being a teenager. I'm not saying my way is the only way or the right way. Nor am I saying a few pieces of fruit is a meal. Nor am I saying they never deviate from that. They have birthday cake and ice cream when going to parties and we have dessert for special occasions. I just think we (in general) need to look at food as fueling the body more than a hobby. YMMV.
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: