Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
Mcqueen Fans
Uh, is your name Mater too?
We are excited about going

Pin Trading??

Do the CMs on the cruise have pins to trade with like they do at Disney World. My boys love pin trading and have a ton of pins. We will be at Disney for three days after our cruise so they will have thier pins just wondering if they should bring them on the cruise. Thank You!
Mcqueen Fans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
tracielynn
Mouseketeer

???

I was wondering so I googled it. It sounds like they do and that they have designated times where they can come and trade. I am interested to see the responses..
tracielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
Andrea_loves_Disney
DIS Veteran

Yes! We did some pretty good pin trading on our two cruises in the past couple years. All the CMs working in the shops have pins, as do the CM working the desks...then they have designated "trading with the officers" events and the crew members stand in the atrium with their pins on for trading..it is a lot of fun. So YES bring pins!!

Andrea_loves_Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #4
Mcqueen Fans
Uh, is your name Mater too?
We are excited about going

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea_loves_Disney View Post
Yes! We did some pretty good pin trading on our two cruises in the past couple years. All the CMs working in the shops have pins, as do the CM working the desks...then they have designated "trading with the officers" events and the crew members stand in the atrium with their pins on for trading..it is a lot of fun. So YES bring pins!!
Thank You!! My boys will be very excited! Can't wait, to bad we don't cruise until November! Oh well it gives we lots of time to save money and learn all there is to know about cruising with Disney!!
Mcqueen Fans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
bats
Enjoying Bahama Mama's

We also did pin trading and managed to get some real good ones. One thing I would say though is that the Officers don't have any special pins like we thought they would have ... they just have regular every day pins.

If there is a specific character you collect that is hard to find, then ask the CMs to watch out for them for you. My niece managed to get a couple of Dumbo pins by befriending a few CMs in the shops. They were so very helpful and she was over the moon.

In the shops, they also had pots full of pins that they use to replenish their own lanyards .. if you're extra polite, they may let you rummage through those too!!
Quality Inn International Apr 2003 - Magic Mouse Villa on Windsor Palms Apr 2006 - Hong Kong Disney Jan 2007 - Dibb villa & Disney Wonder Sept 2008 - Dibb villa for DBF's 40th Feb 2009 - Dibb villa Sept 2009 - Disneyland Paris Nov 2009 - Disneyland California Apr 2010 - Disney Magic 8 night Western Europe Jul 2010 - SSR Sept 2010 - Maiden Voyage on The Dream Jan 26th 2011 - Disney Magic Med cruise Aug 2011 - OKW Sept 2011 - AKV & Disney Dream Feb 2012 - SSR & Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Oct 2012 - Disney Magic B2B Med Aug 2013 - Disney Magic Med May 2014 - Disney Magic WBTA & our wedding Sept 2014 Disney Magic 11 night Fjords/Iceland/Faroe Isles Jun 2015
bats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
disneymom3588
Earning My Ears

My DS will be so excited that there is pin trading.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:50 PM   #7
stormys
Mouseketeer

Yes you can. On our trip on the Disney Magic at Christmas 2007, I traded some pins. I remember the nights in the main hall stood an CM who was selling pins, always accompanied by other CM and even the ship's officers with whom I could trade some great pins.
The next is a photo of the shadowbox that I made with the theme of the DCL and then placed the pins I bought at the ship, Castaway Kay and I traded pins

Old 01-04-2011, 10:49 PM   #8
aliron
Mouseketeer

Post Pin Trader of the Cruise

Yes they do pin trading. My was selected to have a magical moment by being selected as Pin Trader of the Cruise. We were on the Wonder for a 3 day cuise in Nov.

Warning though, she was put to work for her magical moment and prize. She had to work with the officers on pin trading night for an hour. It was well worth meeting all the officers, CM's and fellow cruisers who wanted to trade pins.

For all the hard work, her Duffy Bear was given a special lanyard with a collection of Duffy Bear pins that are hard to find.

It truly was a magical experience for her.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #9
aliron
Mouseketeer

Pin Trader?

Bump
Old 09-05-2012, 10:48 PM   #10
SamandWill1921
Mouseketeer

This is AWESOME! I'm hoping to get rid of some of my pins I'm not especially fond of and my duplicates and getting some cruise pins for practically free!

Belated Honeymoon at Disneyland October 2011
Disney Wonder California Coast Sept 2012
Disneyland Sept 2012
SamandWill1921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:13 PM   #11
Clotho
Dizzy Dis'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandWill1921 View Post
This is AWESOME! I'm hoping to get rid of some of my pins I'm not especially fond of and my duplicates and getting some cruise pins for practically free!
As a pin trader, I had fun but it was also not that exciting. They had mostly Hidden Mickey series pins from the parks from 2011. Nothing much cruise related or current. Those are for sale, of course. I did get some pins I really wanted (two pins with Adventurer's Club themes! YAY!), and a couple I hadn't seen before (I collect Stitch, and there were a couple gems). The officer's trading night was fun. Every deck officer comes out in their dress whites and line up to trade with you. It was fun to meet them if nothing else!

BOARDWALK: Sept 11-Sept 18 2004
POLYNESIAN: Aug 30-Sept 10 2007
BOARDWALK: Nov 28-Dec 8 2008
DISNEY WONDER ALASKA: Aug 27-Sep 3 2012
-- Disneyland: Countless times, Good Neighbor Hotels
Clotho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:59 AM   #12
luv2cruisedisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandWill1921 View Post
Believe it or not they have very few cruise pins on the cruises

As someone stated previously the pins are generally pretty generic.

If you are diligent you can find a few good pins but you have to be in the right place at the right time.

I actually have better luck trading for DCL pins at the park. Catching people who have just returned from a cruise
Old 09-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #13
sftnslky
**May every day be filled with Magical memories**

Wink

I spent a full year collecting pins for all four of our kids before our last cruise. Through ebay mostly. Once they got on the ship they wore their lanyard EVERYWHERE which came in handy. I bought each of them a lanyard of their favorite Disney character on it so when a CM saw them and the lanyard they would go up to them and say "Oh so you collect stitch....Well, here I have two I can trade you." This would happen even while standing in line for the MDR and the CM who would be walking around handing out the wet wipes. My kids each started with 25 different pins..and LITERALLY by the last day they had managed to trade all 25 for 25 of their favorite person... i.e 25 stitch pins, 25 tinker bell pins, etc. They had such a blast and a really cool souvenir

sftnslky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #14
FoxandtheHoundATX
"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." Walt Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea_loves_Disney View Post
Thanks so much for the information. Taking my first DIS cruise in a few months and I want to trade some pins.
FoxandtheHoundATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #15
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcqueen Fans View Post
Do the CMs on the cruise have pins to trade with like they do at Disney World. My boys love pin trading and have a ton of pins. We will be at Disney for three days after our cruise so they will have thier pins just wondering if they should bring them on the cruise. Thank You!
I got some great DCL pins on my cruise in April! My family loaded up with pins from EBAY before the cruise (60¢ per pin when purhased in bulk) and traded with CM's in the shops, guest services, and officers during the pin trading night. There was not as much trading as in the parks, but it was still fun and it was a great way to meet CM's.

Happy trading!!

Mike
MND is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: