Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 05:03 AM   #1
aurora72
Earning My Ears

Knee walker

Does anyone have experience with a knee walker at the parks? On 8/9/12, I tore the ligaments on the outside of my right ankle. I have been in a soft boot while at home and sleeping and a hard walking air boot at work, shopping, etc. Saw my Dr. Today and ankle is still slightly swollen and have to be in boots for at least another month. We are going to the world in 11 days. My Dr. Highly recommended I rent an EVC during my trip. I did research on Orlando rental companies, but I just can't see myself in one. My sister is a physical therapist and has a knee walker I can use for free. I've seen teenagers in the parks on them, but never adults, more less someone closer to my age of 40. If you have experience with one, wether you used it or a family member;
1) are they comfortable?
2) does your other leg get tired? I will be there for 7 days
TIA
aurora72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
peemagg
We are doing the AKL tri-fecta
You will find us wrapped up in them at night and on the weekends

I have used them in the past, and they are fine for flat areas, and short distances. One day of using it at the parks would exhaust you. You would be better off with a ECV or a wheelchair in my opinion.
peemagg is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-25-2012, 01:08 AM   #3
MommaluvsDis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora72 View Post
Does anyone have experience with a knee walker at the parks? On 8/9/12, I tore the ligaments on the outside of my right ankle. I have been in a soft boot while at home and sleeping and a hard walking air boot at work, shopping, etc. Saw my Dr. Today and ankle is still slightly swollen and have to be in boots for at least another month. We are going to the world in 11 days. My Dr. Highly recommended I rent an EVC during my trip. I did research on Orlando rental companies, but I just can't see myself in one. My sister is a physical therapist and has a knee walker I can use for free. I've seen teenagers in the parks on them, but never adults, more less someone closer to my age of 40. If you have experience with one, wether you used it or a family member;
1) are they comfortable?
2) does your other leg get tired? I will be there for 7 days
TIA

Wow, your injury sounds as if I had written it! I have longitude tears in both ligaments of my right ankle. We leave for WDW in. About 20 days. Can you post and let me know how your trip turned out? I have rented a scooter from an outside source but am not looking forward to using it.

Thanks and good luck.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
jworkkul
DIS Veteran

Leave the knee walker at home and rent an ECV. There are not many flat places in DW and you can end up injuring your knee. Also, plan on walking about 6-10 miles a day. There is nothing wrong with renting an ECV. A lot of people do this and don't pay any attention to them.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:25 AM   #5
likelove
Earning My Ears

I have longitude tears in both ligaments of my right ankle.
likelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:38 AM   #6
MommaluvsDis
DIS Veteran

Oh wow, sorry to hear that. The recovery from my surgery now a year ago was rough. It involved not putting any weight on the repaired foot for 4 weeks and then 9 trips to physical therapy. They sent me home with crutches but I didn't do well with them so I borrowed my mother in laws travel wheel chair. Perfect! I'm doing well now. I wish you well too.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
bidnow5
DIS Veteran

I have a severed tendon in my right ankle that they aren't sure if they can fix. I have a knee walker I use at home and have tried using it at a mall. They are not very comfortable after and hour or so my knee and hip were in lots of pain. I use my scooter when ever we go out now

bidnow5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: