Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #16
Scurvy
Kungaloosh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by torinsmom View Post
Is there a way to allow only certain users to connect with LIVE? I am wondering if that is an option for parents of younger kids like the OP. Can you select the users you will let your kids connect with?
Yes, there are definitely options. First, each player that's going to be playing online will need their own Live membership, so any children who aren't supposed to be online at all should just not purchase Live memberships. For those who are old enough to play online but not old enough to interact with strangers, there are parental controls available. When my son first started on Live, we set his account so that he could only communicate with (talk to, hear, get messages from, etc) people on his friends list. We also set it so he couldn't recieve friend requests, only send them. Then we monitored his account frequently to be sure he was only sending friend requests to people he actually knew in real life. Live definitely isn't an "all or nothing" thing when it comes to online access and interactions with other people.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:52 AM   #17
rgf207
DIS Veteran

Just as an FYI to anyone thinking of buying a console this year. Microsoft is going to release a new console most likely next year (2013). It hasn't been officially announced but it's coming. Same for Sony. Nintendo will be releasing their new console November 18.

So buying an XBOX or PS3 this year might not be the best thing since it will be obsolete in a year.

2002 - Off Site;2004 - Off Site;March 2005 - AKL;Sept 2005 - PoP, POR, ASMo;May 2006 - POR;June 2007 - BCV;June 2008 - SSR; March 2009 - SSR; August 2009 - SSR, AKV; Feb 2010 - VWL; Jun 2010 - BCV; Feb 2011 - AKV; June 2012 - BLT
rgf207 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #18
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgf207 View Post
Just as an FYI to anyone thinking of buying a console this year. Microsoft is going to release a new console most likely next year (2013). It hasn't been officially announced but it's coming. Same for Sony. Nintendo will be releasing their new console November 18.

So buying an XBOX or PS3 this year might not be the best thing since it will be obsolete in a year.
Oh brother, you had to come along and tell us that huh?

Well OP, not sure what to say.

The problem here I would guess, is that will raise the XBOX price sky high, like the PS3.

The old system will be in play for awhile however I guess it is time to start hoarding old XBOX game titles.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #19
StitchFanZ
Mouseketeer

We played xbox for years without live and enjoyed it so it is not essential. My kids are older now and have live accounts so they can play with friends.

The youngest will probably like the kinect games - they are lot of fun and involve lots of movement so are great exercise on rainy days.

We don't like the music on the Just Dance games so don't have it but your daughter and her friends will probably like it.

Look for a few multiplayer games so they can play together or with friends. Pretty much all the lego games are great for this age group.

If you have a local gamestop, go in when they are not busy. Most of their employees know a ton about the games and will happily help you find age appropriate games.
StitchFanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #20
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran

Just because a new system is being released, doesn't mean they won't support it. Heck the PS2 is still supported, 6 years after the PS3 release. Same thing with the PS1, it was years after the PS2 was out that they finally dropped it.

Now Mircrosoft did drop the original Xbox after 360 release, in part because Nvidia wouldn't drop the price on the graphics card. So Microsoft couldn't drop the system price without losing money. I believe they used their own hardware on the 360, so they can control the price more.

The older kid might want the new system when it releases, but the younger ones will probably do just fine with it for the next few years.
SandrA9810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:35 AM   #21
laughinplace199
AKA Shrimpo or Flamingo Legs

Thanks for the advice, everyone. It has really helped a lot!

I think that when we get the xbox, we will move the wii to another tv so our little one can still play those games. The xbox is really for the older kids.

laughinplace199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:19 AM   #22
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughinplace199 View Post
Thanks for the advice, everyone. It has really helped a lot!

I think that when we get the xbox, we will move the wii to another tv so our little one can still play those games. The xbox is really for the older kids.

Good plan! However I forgot to touch on this issue with you. You really need to hook it up to an HDTV.

For example I am playing SKYRIM and I can't see the writing clearly and some of the game is not "on screen". It is annoying to say the least.

That being said an HDTV is not in our future right now so I have to suffer for awhile.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #23
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurvy View Post
Yes, there are definitely options. First, each player that's going to be playing online will need their own Live membership, so any children who aren't supposed to be online at all should just not purchase Live memberships. For those who are old enough to play online but not old enough to interact with strangers, there are parental controls available. When my son first started on Live, we set his account so that he could only communicate with (talk to, hear, get messages from, etc) people on his friends list. We also set it so he couldn't recieve friend requests, only send them. Then we monitored his account frequently to be sure he was only sending friend requests to people he actually knew in real life. Live definitely isn't an "all or nothing" thing when it comes to online access and interactions with other people.
I'm not the OP but I want to thank you for posting this info. My ds really wants to play with his friends but I haven't allowed him to get a Live membership. I grabbed one went they went on sale for $35 and have been saving it for Christmas and now that I know we can set controls I'll definitely give it to him.

OP, I would definitely get the one with the Kinect, we have so much fun with ours.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #24
3boymthr
DIS Veteran

Definitely wait for BF to buy. Oldest DS wanted a Xbox in the worst way for x-mas last year so I was on a mission. I evaluated all the deals. I got a 250GB system with two games, LIVE subscription on Black Friday last year for $199 at Best Buy Online (actually on Thanksgiving Night). No Kinect. The Bundle was less than the system alone. I was also able to use e-bates to save even more. Target usually also has an X-box deal on BF. Depending upon the store manager you can usually buy on Wednesday and price match on Friday.

Kinect is a great system but look at the games your kids want to play before investing. We don't have the Kinect and my son doesn't care. He's on there playing the RPG games like COD and Modern Warfare and sports games like Madden NFL which don't require Kinect. Actually I'm pretty sure most (if not all) of the LIVE games don't use Kinect.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: