Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #16
nolanboys
DIS Veteran

I know it is different because we are DVC members, but it is similar because the points for standard view are considerably less than a savanna room. We stayed in a standard room and loved it. The resort is gorgeous and we had no problem walking to the public viewing areas to see the animals. We chose to book a standard view again, as we don't want to spend that many points for the view. We would feel the same way of it was on cash. Yes, you can't see the animals from your balcony, but there are great places to see the animals and the resort has such a great ambiance to it.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:46 AM   #17
kddisney502
P: What's the problem with Goofy?
L: Wish I knew, he's fine with Pluto.

We've stayed at AKL in a savanah view. Our first room, the "savanah view" was awful. 3/4 of our view was the building next to us. We were also really far away from the animals. We complained and were put in a "better" view, still not great but better. We didn't think it was worth the price difference. There are great public viewing areas. If you go farther into the resort, there are more quiet public view areas with rocking chairs. We rarely saw people over in these areas and it was a better view but still peaceful compared to our room. In all fairness, we don't spend much time in our rooms. So we've found that views aren't that important to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbatoast View Post
Interesting about the camera's. How did you find that out??
There is a sign in your room that states this. The sign also suggests closing your curtains for privacy (like when you're dressing). check out this pic:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/eks2007/6577085371/
while I understand why they have to film, this made me feel a little paranoid.

Last edited by kddisney502; 09-25-2012 at 04:02 AM.
kddisney502 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-25-2012, 02:45 AM   #18
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceycat View Post
first - there are camera that will watch you on the savannah - they are there to make sure no one dumps anything on the savannah

there are windows along the resorts - you will see animals if you look.

did not think that AKL was still upgrading - but it definitely seems like it is - they don't for DVC.
We just got back from AKL Sept 8th. We booked a pool view room (only like $10.00 more a night than a standard) for our Sept 1st-8th trip. When we arrived we had been upgraded to a savanna view on the Zebra Trail, facing the Arusha savanna. I also booked a pool view room when we stayed there a couple of years ago. That trip I got exacty what I paid for (a very nice first floor pool view room on the Giraffe Trail). I stayed there back in 2005 and booked a Savanna view, but felt like the room was a mile away from the lobby and not worth the money. No way would I book a standard view though and take a chance of facing the parking lot, when a pool view is just $10.00 more a night.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:23 AM   #19
Cindie-rella
...Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever.

If I couldn't stay in a SV room I would look elsewhere. To me, that's the greatest thing about AK. I know you can view the animals from all different locations throughout the resort, but there is nothing like sitting on your balcony watching the animals. We were placed on the 5th floor in front of a watering hole. We'd come back for an afternoon rest and there would sometimes be in excess of 20 animals in front of our room! Where else in the U.S. can you see that from a hotel room? We would order room service for breakfast and sit on our balcony sipping our coffee watching the giraffes. It was amazing ! It was just the hubby and me so it was perfect for us. In fact, we spent more time at the resort than we did at the parks that trip. We just love AK ! But everyone has there own opinion. I just feel I would regret not having a SV esp. after already experiencing the Savannah ! Good Luck!

2000 ASMo 2005 POR 2006 AKL 2007 POR 2008 AKL/OKW 2013 POLY
Cindie-rella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:43 AM   #20
reiella
DIS Veteran

It's really all about what you want. There are many great views available throughout the resort.

Also, the thing with AKL is that there aren't that many standard rooms, most of the rooms are actually Savannah category. You have a better chance than at most resorts of getting a 'free upgrade' from standard to savannah, that said, DO NOT count on it. Especially if it's a busier time period.

I will say, Club level is only slightly more than Arusha, but it is still fairly more than Standard .

Personally, from how I've read your post, I'd suggest going for standard booking, there are plenty of good viewing locations throughout the resort. Although to be fair, what other resort would you be looking at if not AKL-standard?
reiella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:36 AM   #21
melbatoast
Dis Fan

I was thinking pool view might be a good compromise. We stayed at AK a few years ago, and I booked standard and got an upgrade to sav view, but the view wasn't that great - I think it was were the animals go to get checked out etc. But, I was extremely happy to get an upgrade, and really loved sitting on my balcony looking out at the animals.

This trip will be the week before Easter and the prices are super high! And, if sav view doesn't have a discount at least for the few days before the Easter prices start, there's no way I want to spend that kind of money. Our favorite resort is BC, but this trip we are heading to the real beach after Disney, so I thought we could do AK.
1975 Cont, 1987 Golf Villas, 2000 Disneyland Hotel, 2001 WL, 2002 BC&GF, 2003 Disneyland Hotel, 2004 BC, 2005 Disneyland Hotel, 2007 Riverside,BC&Swan, 2008 BC, 2009 Dolphin&BC, 2009 CS&AK&BC, 2010 Disneyland Hotel, 2010 DTD Hilton, WL, 2011 BC
melbatoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:42 AM   #22
basketlacey
DIS Veteran

We stayed at AKL last year and booked standard view and then later realized it was only a bit more to upgrade to pool view. Pool view was GREAT! The pool is gorgeous. I sat out on my balcony every morning to enjoy it while the kids were still asleep. I also took my camera out a few mornings and explored from the rest of the resort. I felt like I had plenty of opportunity to see the animals.

]Disney trips:6/2003: ASMo;11/2005: Offsite;10/2009: Offsite;11/2010: POR;11/2011 - AKL;10/2012 - BC; 10/2013 - WL/BWI; 2/2014 - FWC/Disney Cruise - Magic/CR; 4/2014 - CBR; 7/2014 Dolphin/OKW
basketlacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #23
haPevraftr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbatoast View Post
I was thinking pool view might be a good compromise. We stayed at AK a few years ago, and I booked standard and got an upgrade to sav view, but the view wasn't that great - I think it was were the animals go to get checked out etc. But, I was extremely happy to get an upgrade, and really loved sitting on my balcony looking out at the animals.

This trip will be the week before Easter and the prices are super high! And, if sav view doesn't have a discount at least for the few days before the Easter prices start, there's no way I want to spend that kind of money. Our favorite resort is BC, but this trip we are heading to the real beach after Disney, so I thought we could do AK.
Last year, we booked POR and then were sent a pin code for 30% off at AKL. This allowed us the opportunity to upgrade and book pool view at AKL. I asked about a SV upgrade at checkin. It was only available if I wanted to pay for it. we couldn't afford it and stuck with pool view. The pin code was room only but was valid through the weekend before Easter weekend. U might stand a chance of getting a discount at the beginning of your dates, too.
Visited WDW many times as a child; Engagement trip OKW '01 ; Disneyland '04 and '05; Off-site '06 and '07 ; Pop Century '08 ; POFQ '09 ; ASMo '10 ; CSR '11 ; AKL/SVR '12 ;NYE '12-'13 WBC Easter '13, SLR/CBR ;Thanksgiving '13, VVP; April '14, WBC; WBC Spring Break 2015
haPevraftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #24
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

We got very lucky on our first trip. While a Value view was booked we ended up with a SV. This trip I booked a SV. Nothing beats drinking my morning coffee, in the comfy of my pjs, on my balcony, watching the animals. It's worth every point we spend (we have DVC). And in the evenings before going back into the park, having a glass of wine and enjoying the view. It's amazing.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: