Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
SharkyGoddess
Happier than a Shark at a Sushi Bar

Any Darkside Homeschoolers?

(Hopefully this post gets put in the right place)

I've recently (as of last week) began homeschooling my youngest (Squishy) and am hoping to connect with as many other homeschooling families as possible!

Are there any other Darkside families out there homeschooling? I know Disney has a very nice program for homeschool families and fully plan on looking into that when we're able.
First trip 1987 ~Disney & Bush Gardens with best friend and Dad Second trip 1991 ~ US with friendsThird trip July 2002 ~ Disney & US/IOA with my kiddos Fourth trip July 2004 ~US/IOA A very pregnant me and my two kiddos Fifth trip October 2007 ~Disney for MNSSHP ASM with my kiddos and Sweet Babboo Sixth trip October 2010 ~US/IOA for HHN & WWoHP with Babboo & Kiddos
"Just behind the reef are the big white teeth of the sharks that can swim on the land."
SharkyGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

We homeschool and enjoy Universal.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
chipnme1962
Luv WDW,miss DL

My wife homeschools our youngest and we all enjoy Universal Florida the best.
chipnme1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
SharkyGoddess

My youngest and I are brand new to homeschool and so far we're enjoying it! I think the flexibility works better for him.

Does Universal do anything special for homeschoolers like Disney does?
First trip 1987 ~Disney & Bush Gardens with best friend and Dad Second trip 1991 ~ US with friendsThird trip July 2002 ~ Disney & US/IOA with my kiddos Fourth trip July 2004 ~US/IOA A very pregnant me and my two kiddos Fifth trip October 2007 ~Disney for MNSSHP ASM with my kiddos and Sweet Babboo Sixth trip October 2010 ~US/IOA for HHN & WWoHP with Babboo & Kiddos
"Just behind the reef are the big white teeth of the sharks that can swim on the land."
Old 09-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
SharkyGoddess

And.... nice to meet you guys!!!
Old 09-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

We just started homeschooling this yr. I am still tied down to the public school schedule though. I have three kids with learning disabilities and the school structure is better for them. I love teaching my girls and my older dd who is 7 is finally starting to get use to mommy as teacher. I would like to know if they have programs too? I am looking at different things to offer a nice incentive for an end of the yr trip that is still educational.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
SharkyGoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmom27 View Post
We just started homeschooling this yr. I am still tied down to the public school schedule though. I have three kids with learning disabilities and the school structure is better for them. I love teaching my girls and my older dd who is 7 is finally starting to get use to mommy as teacher. I would like to know if they have programs too? I am looking at different things to offer a nice incentive for an end of the yr trip that is still educational.
That's exactly what I'm looking for. Something we can have as a reward for a successful year and keep it educational and fun!
Old 09-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #8
GlendaO
DIS Veteran

Check these out. I don't know how much they are though.

http://www.uogroupsales.com/educational/index.htm

http://www.uogroupsales.com/pdf/Educ...scriptions.pdf
Old 09-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

You know what's funny? That one of those PDFs has a typo in it. In their URL. Because I don't think it's UOgroupdales dot com.

I just downloaded the grades 3-5 lessons. One of them is "field trip math". I've been thinking of letting DS in to our world of budgeting a little bit more. I don't want to overdo it, to give him access to seeing our bank balance, but I want to do a little more than my mom did for me. It's a tricky balance. So maybe give him one piece of our trip budget and let him see it, figure things out, etc etc. It had only been an idea until I saw that lesson plan, so thanks Universal, and thanks Shark, because I didn't know that universal had ANY educational things at all!

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #10
SharkyGoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlendaO View Post
Those are very interesting! Thank you!
Old 09-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #11
SharkyGoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
You know what's funny? That one of those PDFs has a typo in it. In their URL. Because I don't think it's UOgroupdales dot com.

I just downloaded the grades 3-5 lessons. One of them is "field trip math". I've been thinking of letting DS in to our world of budgeting a little bit more. I don't want to overdo it, to give him access to seeing our bank balance, but I want to do a little more than my mom did for me. It's a tricky balance. So maybe give him one piece of our trip budget and let him see it, figure things out, etc etc. It had only been an idea until I saw that lesson plan, so thanks Universal, and thanks Shark, because I didn't know that universal had ANY educational things at all!
I'm excited to see this too! The budgeting lesson is an EXCELLENT idea! Squish is only 8, but I think he would understand staying with in a monetary limit. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get my teens started on this path either

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: