Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #136
jenlynn0808
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas71873 View Post
I have found a few things on Pinterest I want to put together but need glass jars with lids. Like Ball or Kerr canning jars, but I really want them to be plain and not have "Ball" or "Kerr" on the jar? Any tips on where to find inexpensive glass jars? I haven't popped into Walmart or the Dollar Tree yet. Been couped up with a sick kid for 4 days now
Grant it, I don't know what you want the jars for and it creeps some people out, but have you tried the Goodwill or Salvation Army? Our local Goodwill always has a ton of jars with lids (seriously, they take up at least 1/2 an isle).

I've been gobbled by ADisneygirl!
jenlynn0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:29 AM   #137
MrsMommaRN
Earning My Ears

Great ideas. Have to think of some to share.
MrsMommaRN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #138
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

You guys are so creative, thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcthree View Post
They look like little soaps, but they are lotion. The heat from your body warms the bar as you rub it on your hands, so you get the creamy lotion in a bar instead of pumping or squirting it out like regular lotion. I found a recipe online that used beeswax, coconut oil, and I don't remember what else!

You can decorate cute little containers to keep them in, and you can use soap molds to make different shapes. If you google lotion bars you can get an idea of what they look like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amii View Post
Here is a link to my favorite recipe for lotion bars. There are step by step instructions and pictures showing you what to do. It is my favorite hand/foot lotion in the winter.

http://www.herbmentor.com/make-your-...holiday-gifts/
I love these, and they would be perfect for travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDaisyofTexas View Post
I've always thought these tile photo coasters would be fun to try.

http://leelala.net/2011/09/diy-photo...tion-workshop/

I know you can get the tiles at Home Depot. Not sure how much all the supplies cost. Has anyone made these before?
I was thinking of "stealing" away my nieces and nephews, and my friends' kids and taking their pics so I can make these for gifts. I'd probably do a bigger tile and make a scrapbook layout with the pics and put that on it. Just add a stand for it, and it could be really cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababear_50 View Post
I usually make strawberry jam but this year I'm going to try this recipe

SALSA SAUCE
4 qts. tomatoes, peeled and chopped (about 30)
2 or 3 chopped green peppers
2 onions, med., chopped
1 can chopped jalapeno peppers or 2 or 3 hot fresh jalapeno peppers
1 or 2 chili peppers (optional)
1 tsp. salt

Cook just tomatoes for 1/2 hour. Add rest, simmer for 1 1/2 or 2 hours (or longer if you like it thicker). Pout into hot sterilized jars. Seal. Put into warm water in kettle 1 inch over jars bringing to boil for 5 minutes. Take jars out. Tighten rings. 8 pints.

Hugs Mel
I like this idea for the guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreco View Post
A friend made one of these for my mom and I thought it was beautiful, everyone at her holiday party commented on it.
http://my.hgtv.com/share-my-craft/Ho...esi?oid=540097
These are so pretty. My friend has a couple that she bought at a craft fair. We always talked about making some ourselves but never did try. Maybe this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkermommy View Post
Thanks!

Below is the picture of one of the wreaths I made. It does remind me of the bubble wreaths my mom made back in the 80s. I will update the decorations based on the seasons.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4D...HQyVXQ5SlVhMWs

And here is the website for the instructions. My two wreaths took about 45 minutes each to do but I am slow and was watching TV at the same time!

http://homedeco50.wordpress.com/2012...eath-tutorial/

If you make one, I would love to see yours!
I love that wreath, its so cute and I love that you can change what is on it so it goes with any season or holiday.

Again, just want to say thanks to everyone for posting their ideas and pictures to help the rest of us!
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #139
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

This weekend I hope to get the supplies for the burlap wreath! I love the idea of giving that along with a bunch of seasonal fun add ins(Like valentine's day, thanksgiving, halloween, - I'll buy the halloween stuff on clearance after the holiday, same with Thanksgiving and I love the beachy idea for it too!

After I get through a soccer filled morning tomorrow- the afternoon will be spent crafting away. Sounds like heaven to me!
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #140
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post
This weekend I hope to get the supplies for the burlap wreath! I love the idea of giving that along with a bunch of seasonal fun add ins(Like valentine's day, thanksgiving, halloween, - I'll buy the halloween stuff on clearance after the holiday, same with Thanksgiving and I love the beachy idea for it too!

After I get through a soccer filled morning tomorrow- the afternoon will be spent crafting away. Sounds like heaven to me!
I knit scarves during DD9's orchestra time. And go to the knitting store while DS6 is in dance class. I figure, if I'm there anyway, I might as well be productive.
BuzznBelle'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #141
bababear_50
Does amazing things with teeth and string!
Song writer extraordiaire

"Candy Cane Soup"

Just sharing an idea
When you have a large group to buy for and want something small to give --- these are a cute idea.
I have made them before but added google eyes and a red gum drops(wrapped in saran wrap and put in the tip of the bag) and brown chenille antlers.
"Rudolph"

Here is a link

http://christmas.organizedhome.com/c...andy-cane-soup

Last edited by bababear_50; 09-23-2012 at 03:30 PM.
bababear_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:02 AM   #142
AngieMouse86
Mouseketeer

Anybody have any recipes for the ingredients-in-a-jar gifts? Cookies, cakes or soups, I'm open to all ideas!

I know there's a lot of these posted around the web, but I'm looking for some that are 'tried and true'! Thanks.

Me - DBF -
AngieMouse86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:28 AM   #143
bas71873
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieMouse86 View Post
Anybody have any recipes for the ingredients-in-a-jar gifts? Cookies, cakes or soups, I'm open to all ideas!

I know there's a lot of these posted around the web, but I'm looking for some that are 'tried and true'! Thanks.

I found one on pinterest that I'm using to give to DD's 3 dance teachers, my teenage cousin and DD's speech therapist. It's called pampering or spa in a jar. I got some of those aloe infused fuzzy sock/slipper things (about $2.00) and stuffed those in a quart sized canning jar. Then I hit Bath & Body Works and they had thier mini stuff 3 for $10 and their "spa" minis 3 for $12, so I got foot scrub & foot cream for each of them and I'm going to add in a small pumice stone (IF I can find them cheap somewhere. I haven't looked for those yet.). I am going to use holiday cards from last year to decorate the top of the screw on lid and I'm looping a shower puff around the neck of the jar with a gift tag from DD.

I also saw ones that were mani/pedi in a jar and had cotton balls on the bottom, a travel size nail polish remover, nail clippers, toe separators and bottle of nail polish.

Really cute and I didn't want to do food for this set of people on my list.

Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008

Last edited by bas71873; 09-24-2012 at 07:07 AM.
bas71873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:20 AM   #144
BuzznBelle'smom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieMouse86 View Post

I have a book that had a bunch of recipes in it, and the tags as well, that tell the recipient what to add, etc.

You know, nobody mentioned how the cookies, etc. turned out, so they may have terrible, I don't know.

Also, one year I did the same basic idea, but instead of glass jars, I put the ingredients in a gallon-sized ziploc, and then sewed them into a stocking made from leftover fabric. we made the stocking, then I just hand-basted across the top to keep the contents inside. It was nice, because the kids could help sew the stockings.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #145
AngieMouse86
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas71873 View Post
I found one on pinterest that I'm using to give to DD's 3 dance teachers, my teenage cousin and DD's speech therapist. It's called pampering or spa in a jar. I got some of those aloe infused fuzzy sock/slipper things (about $2.00) and stuffed those in a quart sized canning jar. Then I hit Bath & Body Works and they had thier mini stuff 3 for $10 and their "spa" minis 3 for $12, so I got foot scrub & foot cream for each of them and I'm going to add in a small pumice stone (IF I can find them cheap somewhere. I haven't looked for those yet.). I am going to use holiday cards from last year to decorate the top of the screw on lid and I'm looping a shower puff around the neck of the jar with a gift tag from DD.

I also saw ones that were mani/pedi in a jar and had cotton balls on the bottom, a travel size nail polish remover, nail clippers, toe separators and bottle of nail polish.

Really cute and I didn't want to do food for this set of people on my list.
Ooh, I love this one! Sounds like just the right thing for my female managers at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzznBelle'smom View Post
I have a book that had a bunch of recipes in it, and the tags as well, that tell the recipient what to add, etc.

You know, nobody mentioned how the cookies, etc. turned out, so they may have terrible, I don't know.

Also, one year I did the same basic idea, but instead of glass jars, I put the ingredients in a gallon-sized ziploc, and then sewed them into a stocking made from leftover fabric. we made the stocking, then I just hand-basted across the top to keep the contents inside. It was nice, because the kids could help sew the stockings.
The stocking idea is cute but I can barely sew buttons. May enlist my DBFs mom to help me out, lol. And I can since people don't report back I'll take my chances on a couple good-sounding recipes I've found.

Thanks everyone!

Me - DBF -
AngieMouse86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #146
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

LOVE this thread!!!

Thank you all for the great ideas. I want to get my kids involved in making gifts this year and these are all such awesome ideas!!!

I typically do not 'make' things for gifts but I have had good luck with the following:

- themed baskets (not homeade items in the baskets - but you can use lots of cheap and free things!)

- Stationary/card sets - Everyone can use birthday/thank you cards to have around the house and this is a nice gift to give with some stamps too - great idea for grandparents, especially when the kids make the cards

- cookies!! - I buy tins from the $1 store and stuff with all my holiday goodies - fudge, cookies, candies, etc.

I did make soaps one year (the clear ones) and it was gross. They turned out looking fine but they did not smell really good so I won't be trying that again!

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:19 PM   #147
Maskesa
Earning My Ears

Paper Machie bowls. They are soooooo easy to make. The last layer can be personal to who ever the gift is for EG Cat fans, Sponge Bob fans, Disney fans, You can either use wrapping paper or print pictures and cut and arrange all over as last layer. Thinking of images of my children for grandparents., My friend loves Toy Story so lots of Toy Story pictures. We then fill the bowl with wrapped sweets, smellies or anything dry.
Maskesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #148
BuzznBelle'smom

If you have an Ocean State Job Lot near you, they have a lot of inexpensive stuff you could put in baskets--mostly of the gourmet food variety, but other stuff as well.

I've made the soaps, and I think I put a fragrance in them--it's been a while.

Stationery sets have a lot of possiblities, too--stamping, papercrafting, punching around the edges, etc. Even a small child could "decorate" the front with watercolors, for an abstract-art look.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #149
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

A very special memory I have is my Uncle telling me how much he loved my cookies and if I would make him a special batch of a specific one he loved. I did. He dies shortly after that. I hold that memory so close. It's the little things in life that really matter.

Oh wanted to add that Costco has the cellophane rolls out already- they were very cute decorated ones- and solids. I didn't have extra money that day so I have to head back to buy some. I love the way it makes the homemade gifts look special!
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #150
Earstou
The Tag Fairy sends you pixie dust to help you feel better, but we don't do AP rates!

I was at Hobby Lobby today to pick up yarn for the pom-pom scarf. They had it on clearance marked done to $2.51 (originally $6.99). It's solid colored yarn and I saw white, black, teal and purple.
Don't know if other stores will have it, but thought I would post about the chance.
It's Yarn Bee's Bangle yarn and it was in the yarn and fabric clearance area.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: