Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
princessmomma92
Earning My Ears

Universal Newbie

We're going to Universal next year for 2 days. I've been to DW several times, but am completely lost when I look into the 2 Univ parks. Looking at the website, I don't see much to do. I probably wouldn't even go, except my husband really wants to go. I on the other hand could spend every day at DW. My husband and son think that DW is for babies and wanna do something more "grown up". (son is 20 yo) Any advice, can't miss things, etc that you can give. Please don't abbreviate anything except maybe IoA because I don't know what anything else is. I've tried reading another threads but the abbreviations are like reading Greek to me. Thanks in advance.
princessmomma92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
tkd27
Earning My Ears

Iím far from a pro, but we did go last year so I have a few thoughts:

Universal lets you pay extra for a fast pass, which gives you immediate access to the attraction youíre using it for. I think there were two versions: one that gives you one fast pass per ride, and one that gives you unlimited fast passes. We did this for Island of Adventure but not for the other park. It was probably the best money spent on the whole trip, lol. It sounds like your time of year will be a lot busier than ours (we were there last October), so it might be worth seriously thinking about.

We didnít do a park hopper, but rather just did one day in each park. I didnít feel like we needed a park hopper, but your mileage may vary.

Your husband and son will probably REALLY enjoy the Simpsons ride if they are burned out on Disney. I would probably call this one a must do for them

Be sure to stop by the magic shop in the other Universal park (not IoA), but be aware going in: the ďshowĒ is just a demonstration of the tricks they are going to try and sell you. Do not buy the tricks. Iím a hobbyist magician and I wanted to stand outside the shop all day long and beg people not waste their money inside. Itís not just that theyíre marked up about a million percent, but itís that the ďbigĒ finish trick (the expensive one), is one of the hardest tricks youíll ever learn. If you end up paying tons of money in that shop, do so with the understanding that youíre only paying to learn how he did it, not to be able to do it yourself (and learning how he did it will leave disappointed). Just go and enjoy the show and let the magic be magic :-D

Thatís all Iíve got for advice Ė good luck. I loved Universal a lot, so I think you guys will have a great time!
tkd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Dh and I took our 8 yr old for the first time in Jan 2012 and we had a BLAST..There is lots to do and we loved it so much we are going back.No , it isn't Disney, but thats why it is so great..
At Universal Studios- WE loved Revenge of the Mummy( part Dark ride/part indoor coaster), Rip Ride Rocket COaster is fun.Disaster was cool.We Love shows so we liked the Horror Makeup Show ,The Blues brothers and Beetlejuices graveyard review( my 8 yr olds favorite).Despicable ME wasn't there but should be fun.The Simpsons was a Blast
At IoA- Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey was awesome as was Spiderman.We also loved Dragon Challenge, The Hulk Coaster and All of Seussland..Jurassic park gets great reviews too, but it was Jan and down for Rehab.Sindbads stuntshow was my 8 yr olds favorite show there..
If you go in with an open mind you will be pleasantly surprised.But if you go in disappointed you are not at Disney, that it is nothing like Disney, of course you will be disappointed
Old 09-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
Dizisfun
Mouseketeer

It's not Disney....but it is a wonderful theme park. I'm a Disney fanatic and love WDW. but I also fell in love with US and IOA. Give it a chance, you will love it...... There's plenty of rides, but make sure to see the shows.....
Old 09-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
Seeker615
DIS Veteran

Universal is amazing and themeing is incredible.

Here are the things I think your son and hubby will like

IOA - The Hulk Coaster, Dr Dooms Fearfall, Jurrasic Park River Adventure, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey (best ride ever) Dueling Dragons and there is two water rides that soak you to the bone - Ripsaw Falls and Bluto's raft ride. Take time to soak in the all the theming and there are many spots in Toon Lagoon that make great photo ops!

Studio Side - Men in Black Ride, The Mummy Ride, The Simpsons and there is a great Roller Coaster but the name escapes me right now. (But it is fun!)
There are also some great attractions like the Horror Make Up Show (Don't miss it as it is a fun show!) Also the Disaster show is kind of fun and there is a Beetle juice stage show, Blues Brother outdoor show as well as The Terminator and Twister.

You can easily fill up your days at each park. My daughter and I did 3 1/2 days and park hopped between the two and still wished we had one more day. I think you will really enjoy it.
Seeker615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
CPA_ESQ.
Mouseketeer

Others have highlighted the rides - but no one has mentioned that if you are there for horror nights buy them 2 tickets and let them loose at night!!!
CPA_ESQ. is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: