Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #496
NeverlandClub23
Jon Bon Jovi's secret lover
I miss the big talking pile of leaves and trash
It makes me laugh to sing it like a drunk old man would sing it

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLee View Post
We have made Companion Pass for the past two years and also made that level back in July for the 2013 year.
I have a question, if you would be so kind enough to answer. Once you reach the Companion Pass level, which we will probably reach by Spring of next year, does that basically mean you can book one flight on points and the other flight is free? How long after you reach Companion Pass level do you get to start booking flights? Also (wait, I thought I just had one question! ), do you just designate one person for the entire year that would be your "companion" or can you change it?
Old 09-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #497
dcfromva

Disney Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverlandClub23 View Post
I have a question, if you would be so kind enough to answer. Once you reach the Companion Pass level, which we will probably reach by Spring of next year,
Just to clarify, you must earn the 110,000 points in a calendar year starting Jan1st-Dec 31st. So, you Companion Pass Qualifying point balance (it is tracked separately from your points) will zero out on Dec 31st of this year and you have to start all over again on Jan 1st. (The earning period used to go on a rolling 12 month calendar, but they changed it to calendar year).

Quote:
does that basically mean you can book one flight on points and the other flight is free?
Yes

Quote:
How long after you reach Companion Pass level do you get to start booking flights?
As soon as you designate your companion. You can designate your companion online on your account. If you don't see the link to add your companion on to your itinerary, you could call a customer rep for help.

Quote:
Also (wait, I thought I just had one question! ), do you just designate one person for the entire year that would be your "companion" or can you change it?

The Companion Pass is not transferrable. However, the Member may change his/her designated Companion and request issuance of a new Companion Pass up to three (3) times within the validity period of the Pass.
Link to What are the Companion Pass Rules and Regulations?
dcfromva is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #498
NeverlandClub23
Jon Bon Jovi's secret lover
I miss the big talking pile of leaves and trash
It makes me laugh to sing it like a drunk old man would sing it

That is SO helpful! Thank you!! Looks like we have some spending to do!
Old 10-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #499
rubybpc
It's all about Disney

Important saving RR info.

I'm sharing this info with some of the threads for SWA. I think it's an awesome deal if your flights are CRAZY EXPENSIVE!
How to Exploit SWA & Airtran merger.
http://milevalue.com/how-to-exploit-...irtran-merger/
rubybpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #500
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubybpc View Post
I'm sharing this info with some of the threads for SWA. I think it's an awesome deal if your flights are CRAZY EXPENSIVE!
How to Exploit SWA & Airtran merger.
http://milevalue.com/how-to-exploit-...irtran-merger/
The flaw with this logic is that even though RR Awards can be more valuable than the sum of their points, they come with seat restrictions and blackout dates. Once you transfer your RR points into the Airtran program, they become A+ credits. You cannot covert A+ credits into RR points. They can only be converted into RR credits, like they had under the old RR program.

In some cases, I can see where the cost savings makes it worth accepting the restrictions. I happen to like being able to use my points to purchase ANY seat on ANY flight.

YMMV

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:03 PM   #501
Dizzytime
DIS Veteran

Before I retired I had a companion pass which we milked to the extreme! A Fantastic!! perk, just can't fly or spend enough any more to get it, but love SW, love RR, the 50,000 cc was great, plus the on-going rumors of SW flights to Hawaii!!! ...all very exciting!

Dizzytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #502
elfbo
DIS Veteran

Companion Pass Question

For anyone who has the pass, or has had it in the past. It is really that amazing? Im finding that, with the double mileage through nov 15th, if we book about 900$ in airfare, we can get enough points for the pass. So what im asking is, do you think we would use the pass enough to make up the money we would have to spend to get it?

POR - Jan 2013!!! (1st Anniversary)
All Stars Movies - Jan 2012 (Wedding!!!)
POFQ - Sep 2004, POR - Sep 2003, WDW - 1996, WDW - 1992, Disneyland - 1984
elfbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #503
DisneyFansInLINY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfbo View Post
For anyone who has the pass, or has had it in the past. It is really that amazing? Im finding that, with the double mileage through nov 15th, if we book about 900$ in airfare, we can get enough points for the pass. So what im asking is, do you think we would use the pass enough to make up the money we would have to spend to get it?
We have the companion pass. I think it is worth it. I signed my daughter up as my companion. She flies free for about a year and a half.
DisneyFansInLINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #504
jls886
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfbo View Post
Be aware that the bonus points do not count toward Companion Pass qualification, so do not take them into consideration when figuring how much more you need to spend to qualify for your pass. Only your base points earned will count toward the companion pass.

However, if you wanted to boost your points earnings, you could spend that amount on Business Select fares, which earn base points of 12pts/$1 instead of 6pts/$1 earned on Wanna Get Away fares. So, you'd be getting 12pts/$1 toward your companion pass and actually 24pts/$1 added to your points balance with the double points promotion. You're getting twice the pass qualifying points from Wanna Get Away and also about 40% back into your points balance. I think that is the way to go if you're spending simply to get to your companion pass.

Just to demonstrate:

If you spend $900 on Wanna Get Away fares:
$900 x 6pts/$1 = 5400 base points (DO count toward companion pass)
Promotion = 5400 bonus points (DO NOT count toward companion pass)
Total of 10,800 points earned = $180 in airfare to use later

If you spend $900 on Business Select fares:
$900 x 12pts/$1 = 10,800 base points (DO count toward companion pass)
Promotion = 10,800 bonus points (DO NOT count toward companion pass)
Total of 21,600 points earned = $360 in airfare later

So, if you're simply looking at how much $$ you need to spend to reach your goal, and not trying to actually take the cheapest flights that you need to take anyway, Business Select is the way to go.
jls886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #505
elfbo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jls886 View Post
Be aware that the bonus points do not count toward Companion Pass qualification, so do not take them into consideration when figuring how much more you need to spend to qualify for your pass. Only your base points earned will count toward the companion pass.
Thank you for the heads up. I was factoring in double points for business fares. So that would double how much we have to spend, and for 1800$, we would have to fly more than 4 times to break even, and we only travel 2-3 times a year normally.

POR - Jan 2013!!! (1st Anniversary)
All Stars Movies - Jan 2012 (Wedding!!!)
POFQ - Sep 2004, POR - Sep 2003, WDW - 1996, WDW - 1992, Disneyland - 1984
elfbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #506
lovesny
Earning My Ears

Both my husband and I have the SW Visa cards. I have a balance of 12,551 reward points and my husband has approximately 58,300 points. I am definitely going to cancel my Visa card. Not sure what to do with my husband's card.

Can anyone tell me how long these reward points will remain active? I have read somewhere that they remain active for 2 years. If that is the case, I may cancel both cards. If they are going to take away my reward points, it might be to our benefit to go ahead & pay the $69 fee for my husband's Visa card just to be assured that we keep the points.

I am going to be billed in mid-November for these cards, so if anyone has this information, I would appreciate a response.
lovesny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #507
elcodfish
Mouseketeer

The points are good for 2 years after last activity. What that means is the points expire 2 years after you last earned points or used points. I would call and verify though
elcodfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #508
granmanh603
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcodfish View Post
The points are good for 2 years after last activity. What that means is the points expire 2 years after you last earned points or used points. I would call and verify though
So I just booked a flight last month so the rest of my points would remain active for 2 years if I cancel card next month. and if I booked using them next year it would extend those point for another 2 years...Am I getting that right... and on the other hand if I keep card and charge on the card that extends them 2 years? or do I have to use the shopping link? this is confusing...

granmanh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #509
jls886
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by granmanh603 View Post
So I just booked a flight last month so the rest of my points would remain active for 2 years if I cancel card next month. and if I booked using them next year it would extend those point for another 2 years...Am I getting that right... and on the other hand if I keep card and charge on the card that extends them 2 years? or do I have to use the shopping link? this is confusing...
From the T&C:
"Upon enrollment, Members' accounts are active for 24 months. Members' accounts will remain active as long as the Member earns points at least once every 24 months. The Member's account expiration date will be extended 24 months from the date of the last earned Point. Points earned from flying Southwest flights and points earned from Rapid Rewards Partners will extend the account activity date. If a Member fails to earn a point in 24 months, the Member's account will become inactive and all points and Promotional Awards will be forfeited."

So, each time you earn any points at all (from the CC, from flights, from hotels/rental cars, from shopping, etc) you are extending the expiration of all of your points to 24 months from that date. You do not have to keep the credit card to keep your points.
jls886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #510
rubybpc
It's all about Disney

Hooray! I just got my SWA CC and within 5 minutes called my TA so she can charge $1,000 on it as soon as Disney Web comes back up! What's worse waiting for your card to arrive or waiting for the points to show up on your account? Ahhhhhh!!!!
rubybpc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: