DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #31
crisi
DIS Veteran

I'll add - you can always add on later - but delay for a bit.

Its common around here to see a pattern where people get really excited about Disney and decide they "need" all these points. They need to go during Food and Wine...and we've never seen the Christmas decorations. They have a list of people they want to share with as long as their arm. And they add on to get all this done in the first five or ten years of ownership.

Then after a decade - maybe more, maybe less, they've done Food and Wine - several times, and seen the Christmas decorations. Their list of people to invite has been knocked down to a few people. And while they still love Disney, they don't need enough points to travel for as many room nights as before, or book extra rooms for guests. And they sell off a contract or two.

If you are short points one year, rent some. The urge to travel as much as you have in your DVC honeymoon may decrease.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #32
iluvwdw5
In Luv with the Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by a742246 View Post
Your son was a great man.

I would let faith handle it. Go with the best deal possible. I think 300 points is more readly available. Thus giving you a better deal.

Remember every time you go, you will be saluting him and if there is an afterlife he will salute back.

My heart is with you!
Well said! Love & blessings to you and yours.

2005 ASSports, 2007 CSR, 2007 OKW
2009 Off Site, 2009 POP, 2011 CSR, 2012 POR
iluvwdw5 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2012, 06:31 AM   #33
heartsy77
New BCV DVC owner!

We are defiantly buying resale so THANKS SO MUCH. I still am on the fence w/ the amount points. I want to be able to come once a year some years. We are headed to WDW next month an plan to tour some DVC sites before we decide. I love Beach club but my DH thinks it looks "stuffy" there. He likes the look and location of Boardwalk. But then there is the Villas @ Wilderness Lodge that we think we like! So many options and choices! This why we need to see them in person.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:53 AM   #34
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsy77 View Post
We are defiantly buying resale so THANKS SO MUCH. I still am on the fence w/ the amount points. I want to be able to come once a year some years. We are headed to WDW next month an plan to tour some DVC sites before we decide. I love Beach club but my DH thinks it looks "stuffy" there. He likes the look and location of Boardwalk. But then there is the Villas @ Wilderness Lodge that we think we like! So many options and choices! This why we need to see them in person.
Consider buying your points as two contracts - you cannot split a contract to sell some of your points later, so split them upfront.

I'd still buy to bank and borrow around for a bit and see if you need more points. Renting more is an option. And you may discover that you want to do some cash stays at Disney hotels - some members still want to stay at the Poly once in a while.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:00 AM   #35
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
Consider buying your points as two contracts - you cannot split a contract to sell some of your points later, so split them upfront.
I absolutely agree with the above.

That being said (and this is more for the OP than for crisi..who knows all this, I'm sure):

Remember that via resale, that likely means 2 sellers, 2 offers, 2 ROFR processes 2 sets of closing costs and POSSIBLY 2 different Use Years (aka month in which the points become available for that specific contract).

Even if there is a small premium on the smaller contracts (over one, larger, contract)...it's likely worth it (obviously depending on WHAT the premium is, exactly).

Like with a house....the list price(s) is probably negotiable.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #36
Disneypubgal
Disneyphile

Quote:
You could buy 100 at a resort of your choice and 100 as a resort of his choice and with banking and borrowing have up to 300 points to use at a home resort in any given year. I don't know how many other children you have, but if it is two than you could easily pass them on rather than having one contract that can not be split....

On a personal note I want to thank you and your family for your son's service and for his ultimate sacrifice. We are so blessed to have the freedoms we do as a result of the service of these fine men and women. May God Bless you and your family!
Disneypubgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #37
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'd still buy around the least that looks like it'll work for your current situation, esp if you're looking at SSR because it's cheaper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post

I'd still buy to bank and borrow around for a bit and see if you need more points. Renting more is an option. And you may discover that you want to do some cash stays at Disney hotels - some members still want to stay at the Poly once in a while.
As long as one realizes there is an increased cost to buying 2 smaller contracts to the tune of around $2000 on a 300 pt total. If this was the goal, my view would be to buy the min points now that would work then do the add on later IF it appeared to be needed and to consider a different home resort. Maybe start with 150-170 in this situation maybe at SSR or AKV.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:44 AM   #38
heartsy77
New BCV DVC owner!

After studying the map we have decided ssr is to far out. So it's down to Bcv,Boardwalk, or long shot Wilderness Lodge. I feel we have to visually see the resorts to pick, but we love the location of Bcv and boardwalk. I can see the convienice of 2 contracts, but I just don't want to do it that way.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:35 AM   #39
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
After studying the map we have decided ssr is to far out. So it's down to Bcv,Boardwalk, or long shot Wilderness Lodge. I feel we have to visually see the resorts to pick, but we love the location of Bcv and boardwalk. I can see the convienice of 2 contracts, but I just don't want to do it that way.
Just realize you're usually paying a premium on the BCV points more or less because of the access to Stormalong Bay (their main pool/waterpark).
Old 09-14-2012, 08:18 AM   #40
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Just as an FYI, BCV and VWL don't have grand villas, BWV do. BWV also gives you the option of standard view villas to conserve points.

Like PP said, BCV tends to be a little more expensive than BWV because of SAB access.

Good luck with your decision!
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #41
DizBub
Totally Addicted

If you have never stayed at BWV, there is a model villa set up on the boardwalk immediately to the left of Big River Grill.

I agree that BCV resale tends to run $15-$20 higher than BWV and VWL. Be aware that Member's Fees are also a bit higher at BWV and VWL.

Have fun doing your research!
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #42
heartsy77
New BCV DVC owner!

Our offer was excepted! We bought a resale of BCV 270 points @ 74$ a point. It went to Disney for FROR yesterday.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #43
gray52
Mouseketeer

Just my opinion... But with creative accounting (known as banking and borrowing)... I would think you could buy the 270 and easily get buy for the first few trips... Then if you think you need more, buy them at that point. We started with 100 and added as our needs grew. Also remember that lower point contracts are typically easier to sell, if you so choose.
gray52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #44
gray52
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsy77
Our offer was excepted! We bought a resale of BCV 270 points @ 74$ a point. It went to Disney for FROR yesterday.
I guess I could have read ALL the posts before adding my two pennies.... Congrats.... Resale is the way to go.... And Beach Club is a great resort!
gray52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:54 PM   #45
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:
Very exciting!! Congratulations!!
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: