Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
DanBoris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow624 View Post
Not so happy about this. I don't see Cars Land as something with "lasting magic." I said the same thing about it when it was put into motion for DisneyLand. Cars simply is not a movie that is going to have much appeal 15-20 years from now and I see this as something else that will be removed and re-done in the future.

I would have loved to have seen something done with a full theme from some of Disney's more proven long term films or like others have said, an entire PIXAR land.

I know this is not definite, but still not so great in my opinion.

Things that deserve a bigger area (not necessarily an entire land):

- Alice in Wonderland. Seriously...who would not visit Wonderland!
- Aladdin
- Nightmare Before Christmas

Even Disney's own website states that "Cars" was not a top 30 Disney movie. IMDB has it outside of the top 50 Disney movies.

Young kids may enjoy it now...but, in my opinion...no proven staying power and a bad idea.
The continued popularity of a movie doesn't necessarily have any bearing on the continued popularity of an attraction. Look at Splash Mountain, very popular ride, but how many people who ride it even know what Song of the South is, let alone have even seen it?

Putting that aside, Cars as a theme does have an added advantage which is that even if the movie looses popularity, it's very likely that people will still be attracted to car culture in general which will help with the appeal of the land even for people who might not have a connection with the movie.

As for the "ranking" of the Cars movies, they may have not been on the most popular movies, but they are some of the most profitable Disney movies due to the merchandising which is probably one of the main business drivers behind this decision.
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: