Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
tjevans
DIS Veteran

Help from Dis'ers familiar with NYC hotels

We're thinking about taking our two kids ((at that time) DS 14, DD 7) to New York over spring break. The lodging options look daunting even to a veteran WDW guest!

We want to stay in Manhattan and will need at least two queen beds (I can fill up a double bed by myself). All I'm finding on travel sites are hotels with 1 king, 1 queen, or 2 double beds.

Anyone have some suggestions?

This is a person with multiple skill sets
tjevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
SamSam

DIS Veteran

It's been a number of years but we stayed at the Doubletree in Times Square...wonderful location. This was a trip with DH and brother and sil.

On another trip with 11 friends (yes, girls trip) we stayed at an older hotel about 3 blocks from Times Square. We loved it! Yes it was older, but it had character, and the staff was wonderful. That was 8 years ago, so I can't say what it's like now. Here's the info on it:
Belvedere Hotel.
319 West 48th Street
New York City, NY 10036

I would suggest going to TripAdvisor.com and do a search. It's a great site for research.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

Last summer, we stayed in the Algonquin. It is not far from times square, easy walking distance, and a delightful place to stay for the history and elegance. We had a small suite that was not a bad price at all, for New York, at least.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:06 AM   #4
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

we stayed at a wonderful hotel, The Pearl, but i'm not sure it's appropriate for your needs.
http://www.pearlhotelnyc.com/

Another hotel that might be better for you is the Hampton Inn Times Square North.
http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hot...THX/index.html
Old 09-15-2012, 07:11 AM   #5
DSNYDREAMER
Cruising with Unlimited Dreams
Ring of fire! Ring of fire!

Our first visit was an adult trip and we stayed in the Hilton Times Square. Nice hotel and location, but I didn't like staying in Times Square as it was so crazy busy all the time!

This summer we took our 16 year old and stayed at the Intercontinental Barclay in a 1 bedroom suite. We got a great deal and I liked this location better. A little more central and not so insane every time I stepped out of the hotel.

There were more food options right in Times Square but it was worth the trade off for me to not be in chaos all the time!

DSNYDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:13 AM   #6
Eliza32
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at The New Yorker, very retro. Might suit your needs. Near Macy's and the Empire State Building.
Eliza32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
Tricia's mom
DIS Veteran

I am from NY.. about 50 minutes from Manhattan. When we stay we like Staybridge suites in times square. They are affordable and very clean, they serve breakfast complimentary ( not common in NYC) a block off of times square so you don't have all the noise like actually staying in times square. The only bad part of this hotel is...The elevator is slow..
1974 Red Roof Inn ( too Many others to mention) 1992 Hawaiian Village inn 1994 All star sports 1996 ASMU 1998 CBR 2003 Celebration Hotel 2005 Rosen Plaza 2007 Plaza hotel 2008 POFQ 2009 PORS 2010 PoP 2010 WL 2011 PoP 2012 PORS & Dream 2012 Royal Pacific...2013 AKL
Tricia's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:13 AM   #8
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

well as it turns out, i have to be in new york at the end of october.
since it's the middle of the week, all the good boutique hotels are already completely booked!!!

since it's only for one night and since i bought tickets for the book of mormon, i've reserved a hotel in times square (two blocks from the theater) so we can walk back after the show.
Getting a cab after a show is a near impossibility, so staying in a nearby hotel is a must (for me anyway - i hate walking across town late at night).
Old 09-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #9
bear_mom
DIS Veteran

We are going over Thanksgiving week, but staying in SoHo at the Hilton Garden Inn with 2 queen beds. My SIL lives near there though so that is why we choose to stay there.....

Emily
bear_mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: