Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #1
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Anyone been to bluezoo recently? Best thing you've eaten there?

We'll be going to Disney for a shortish trip early December and staying at the Beach Club... We have ressies for bluezoo ...and I'm really looking forward to it...since we've never been there.

I've always been curious about bluezoo-although it seems to get less reviews than many of the other signature restaurants -but the reviews that it gets generally seem very good..

I've read great things about the fish.. which is great... we love fish (Flying Fish is one of our favorite Dis restaurants...)

Has any one eaten there recently and had something they really liked that they'd care to share...?

(Can be an appetizer, entree, dessert, drink...anything at all...)

Thanks...
PracPerfPatricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
allymouse
Mouseketeer

Crab nachos!! Hands down. The cocktails are great too. Enjoy!
allymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

It is going to get fewer reviews as it is upscale, not in a park, and not on the dining plan.

Crab nachos are not on the menu but you can still ask for them. Plan to share the platter, it's huge.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
Pygoplites
Mouseketeer

I love the Cantonese-style lobster. However, because it is fried and sweet, I think it makes a better shared appetizer (for 2-4 people) than an entree for one. Also, the seared scallop appetizer is outstanding. I had a foie gras terrine that was great, too. Not sure if that's still available.

The fish entrees can be prepared just about any way you want (several sauces to choose from) and the waiters will offer some suggestions about which preparation works best with each fish.
Pygoplites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

bluezoo is my favorite restaurant at WDW. The best thing I've had here is the dessert special that was a peanut butter/chocolate thing. I'm not a dessert eater but bluezoo has an award winning pasty chef so I usually indulge here and this peanut butter thing was amazing.

For food, the scallop with pork rib appetizer is very very very very good. It's quite rich so if I get this, I usually do not order an entree. I may get something from the raw bar for an appetizer and then have the scallop for my entree.

Out of the entrees, I think maybe the Cantonese sticky lobster is my favorite. I've had ahi, yellowtail, sea bass and the dancing fish also. Although good, the dancing fish was probably my least favorite of anything I've had on the current menu.

bluezoo is a very adult restaurant and I think because of it's atmosphere and the fact that it's not on the dining plan, it just doesn't get a lot of traffic here on the boards. It's our go-to adult night out meal on every WDW vacation now.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

As Pakey says, the scallop/short rib appetizer is excellent. I rate it as the best appetizer at WDW.

All their fish is good--I usually get the Swordfish that is "dusted" with Southern Spices.

The only thing I steer clear of is their clam chowder. It really isn't a chowder at all--more like a broth. Not very good the time I had it
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trips--Old Key West on 4/26/14--will be trip #60 to WDW!! Next a Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
bubblefactory
DIS Veteran

Bluezoo is one of our favourite places to eat, this is what we thought when we tried the taster menu on a previuos trip,

We were brought some bread and had a chat about the menu. Both Al and I wanted to know more about the Chef's taster menu and decided to go with that once we knew what each course was. The server explained it usually takes 2 hours but said he could hurry it up a bit if we wanted so the kids didn't get bored. They looked relieved! :D

course 1 ~ Sea Bass with a pea puree and micro green beans & beetroot.

course 2 ~ Black grouper on a bed of risotto with red ribbon sorrel and organic squash

course 3 ~ Seared foie gras with fava beans and bourbon gastrique

At this stage they brought the kids meals which they both enjoyed

Lois - Beef Tenderloin - celery root, asparagus, seasonal mushrooms, warm salsify gel, veal jus $42

Callie - Kids Grilled Beef Tenderloin - steamed vegetable, mashed potato $16.00

course 4 ~ Wagyu beef tenderloin with crispy red potatoes

course 5 - I went for the dessert trio

course 5 - Al went for the cheese

The cost of the taster menu was $79 but everything we had was soooooo good! The portions were just right even though they look tiny, it's because the plates are HUGE! :hehe: Service was excellent.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #8
brunette8706
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
It is going to get fewer reviews as it is upscale, not in a park, and not on the dining plan.

Crab nachos are not on the menu but you can still ask for them. Plan to share the platter, it's huge.
Hey there TDC NALA!

Do you know how much the crab nacho's are? You can spit this? Do we need to order entrees too? Or can we split appetizers and drinks? THANKS AGAIN!

Brunette
Old 09-24-2012, 04:08 PM   #9
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

anyone have pics of the sticky lobster?

chalee94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
Itinkso
DIS Veteran

DD and I will be eating there on Wednesday - It's Magical Dining Month and we'll be ordering off of the prix fixe menu: $30 for appetizer, entree and dessert!! It is our "must do" restaurant...Simply Fish for me; DD will order either Simply Fish or the Dancing Fish and when older DD is with us, she always orders the Miso-glazed Mero and the Roasted Beet Salad. DH and SIL ordered the Tenderloin and both really enjoyed it on our last visit. DDs also always order the Tempura Haricot Verts as an appetizer. Everything is delicious - especially the desserts!
WDW 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

Good to know about the crab nachos, they sound wonderful!!

vettegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #12
DDM101
Mouseketeer

The Dirty South Swordfish was amazing! One of my top 3 dishes ever.
DDM101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:58 PM   #13
msteddom
We always wait in line in California, just like we sit in traffic

I loved both the scallop and short ribs and the low country shimp and grits on the appetizer menu.

Melissa
Aug. 1986- Off Site, Feb. 1992- Off Site, Nov. 2000- Off Site, Aug. 2003 POR, April 2004- POFQ, Aug. 2004- YC, Feb. 2005- POFQ, Aug. 2005- BWV,Jan. 2006 BCV,Aug. 2006 POP, Dec. 2006 POR, Aug 2007-YC, Dec. 2007- BWV, Aug. 2008 4 night Wonder Double Dip, Jan. 2009- BWV, Aug. 2009 BWV/Dolphin, Jan. 2010 BLT/BWV, Aug. 2010 WL/BWV, Aug. 2011 5 night Dream/ WLV, Jul. 2012 POR/BVV, June 2013 BWV/Fantasy Eastern/YC
msteddom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:29 AM   #14
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Bluezoo has a bar/cafe where you can sit without a reservation and order anything off the menu - entrees, appetizers, cocktails, ask for crab nachos. Sorry, I don't remember the price. But I do suggest splitting them. I know I've had them this year, of course I can't guarantee they'll still make them.

I also know they discontinued the tasting menu earlier this year.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #15
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

I've had the sea bass, it's such a good preparation, the fish stays so moist. I love the Ahi Tuna. My son really enjoys the pork, he just gets cheddar grits rather than the black eye peas! And the Dirty swordfish rocks!

Our favorite starters are the fois gras terrine, it's luscious! The tuna tartare with the siracha aioli, we order it every time, with 6 people we order 3! The beet salad with goat cheese is so fresh and well dressed! The walnut oil vinaigrette, yum! Beets get such a bad rap these days!

One night when the kids didn't want to go, my 2 girlfriends and I went while they hit the parks! We were at the bar, we had martinis and the shellfish platter, I mean wow! The ceviche , the shrimp, oysters, so fresh and well presented, out of this world!

The only dessert I've ever tasted, a version of banana creme pie, it has caramel, toffee, carmelized bananas! I wish I were more of a dessert person!

It's expensive but Blue Zoo is worth it IMO!!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: