Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
Tallync
Earning My Ears

Baby Jogger City Mini Tips & Secrets

I know that many people either own or rent the City Mini to use while in Disney. I tried to find answers to some of my stroller questions here and it was hard to search for each one individually. I thought maybe we could start compiling a list of tips and hints for each other on effective ways to use our beloved City Mini! I know that some of the model years are different than others, but the basics are still the same.

City Mini Latch - I have 2011 model, before they put the new auto latch on the stroller, and I searched high and low to find out how to latch it when it's folded. I have a crazy fear of the airport workers breaking my stroller because it isn't locked shut. Its not in the manual, but I found on a blog that there is indeed a manual latch! It is on the left side by the umbrella hood. As soon as I find the blog post again I will put it here. She actually grabbed the picture from Baby Jogger's website (which I couldn't find) to show where it's at. I'm thinking this may not be enough for the airport (haven't tried it yet), so any other suggestions?

Straps: I imagine some children are quite like my son who absolutely cannot stand feeling like he is not in control. To him harnesses that go over the shoulders are the devil. Yes, it includes carseats, but we've all learned to adapt to that. I read a couple posts about changing the straps and it was a quick fix. I tightened the straps quite a bit and then rather than hook to the loops where they normally go, I hooked it to the plastic triangle piece in the seat. I had to take the shoulder pads off, but otherwise everything else was just like normal. Trent tested it to it's full ability and leaned as far forward as he could go (before I had the belly bar) and he stayed put in his seat. He reached for the dog when we went for a walk and played with his toes with no problems. For once, he never fussed to get out. Miracle!

Accessories - Based on many reviews here I skipped the child tray and got the belly bar instead. I already love it. It is more adjustable than I thought it would be and is a 2 second install and uninstall. I'm thinking about sewing my own cover for it to help my stroller stand out just that much more, but I haven't gotten that far yet. The cover on it is zippered on and completely removable. Fun fact: The ends are labeled so you don't put it on upside down. Not that I did that or anything...

Rain cover: The Babies R Us brand jogger cover was on clearance for $10 at my store. I know that this is a Disney must-have, so to find it for so cheap had me practically jumping for joy.

Lock: I saw a recent post that said this isn't a necessity, but in my opinion it is. I got my CM on clearance for $150 from Albeebaby.com and I would be devastated to lose it. I know I could probably never get a deal like that again. Plus it's a unique turquoise blue and black so very few people have my same colors. I bought the Buggy Guard at the store and then realized I could have saved $5 by ordering online and doing in-store pickup. Doh!

Parent console - I went with an off-brand. Diono parent console or something like that it. It has two velcro loops, two cupholders, and a small zipper pocket. It doesn't impinge upon the fold and is fairly affordable.

So please! Share your tips and tricks! What do you do at the airport? Did you find a great way to navigate busy areas? How about decorating a special way to make it easy to see in a crowd of strollers?
Old 09-23-2012, 07:14 AM   #2
Carrieannew
DIS Veteran

I've always checked mine with luggage. I bought the travel case for it. Well worth the money. I would be heartbroken if they damaged it at gate check
Carrieannew is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
stephm0188
Mouseketeer

Ours has been through at least two dozen flights, and the latch has always held just fine. It has been scuffed up though, so invest in the travel bag if you want to keep it clean.

The only thing I don't love about it is the basket space. It's not as roomy as some other strollers. We're done with diaper bags now, but I kept my SkipHop bag just for Disney trips. It clips to the handle bars and is great for stashing away sunscreen and snacks and waterbottles, and the risk of anyone taking that stuff is pretty slim. Less to lug around on rides makes me happy.
stephm0188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:24 PM   #4
Haley
DIS Veteran

I'm getting a purple one this week to take on our Oct trip. I was planning on gate checking it but now I'm second guessing doing that with a brand new stroller. My parents are driving down to meet us there- I could put it in their car and take my cheap umbrella stroller-- what would you do?
Disney Trips: Ft Wilderness '83, Ft. Wilderness '91, ASM July'96, Boardwalk/DCL Magic July '98, CBR/DCL Wonder '00, DCL Magic '03, CBR July '04, CBR May '05, AKL Oct '05, Poly Dec '06, DCL Wonder '06, Beach Club May '07, DCL Wonder '07, Pop/AKL Oct '08 Engaged, Ft. Wild. May 09, Poly Oct 09 Honeymoon!, DCL Magic Nov '09, Pop Oct '10, AoA/BCV Oct '12, Pop Century Dec '13!
Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
Tallync
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haley
I'm getting a purple one this week to take on our Oct trip. I was planning on gate checking it but now I'm second guessing doing that with a brand new stroller. My parents are driving down to meet us there- I could put it in their car and take my cheap umbrella stroller-- what would you do?
I would have my parents drive it down. It would be worth the piece of mind to me to deal with the cheap stroller for a short time to know my nice stroller would be working.

Tags
advice, baby jogger, city mini, stroller, tips

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: