Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #46
technoarch
Earning My Ears

Great trip report thus far! This is Jim (and Heather) from the cruise. We had a blast with this group

Yoda, we must have been just a few doors down from you (12508).
technoarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #47
HermanTriplets+1
DIS Veteran

Yeah, parenting teens. ! Testing limits apparently - guess he found them!
I enjoyed reading about your "girls' day" on St. Maarten. I am very proud of you for being able to "let" the boys stay put. Do they have a smiley for "pat on the shoulder"? I can totally imagine myself in that situation. I think I'd also say about 1,000 times that day "Oh if they only knew what they were missing!" Important thing is that every individual did what made him or her happy. It's a vacation, right?

TR: June 17, 2012 NY-CANADA Sailaway with us!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954385
PRE-TRIP REPORT:CALLING ALL NY-CANADA CRUISERS
!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2824051
HermanTriplets+1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #48
cheryllarsen
Mouseketeer

Sure looks like fun.
cheryllarsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #49
cheryllarsen
Mouseketeer

Just returned from a 7 day Alaskan cruise which was spectacular! Deciding on our next destination now!
cheryllarsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #50
TRULYEVIL
Earning My Ears

Kids. Can't live with them Can't kick them out fast enough lots of love

Last edited by TRULYEVIL; 09-24-2012 at 04:55 PM.
TRULYEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:54 PM   #51
TRULYEVIL
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRULYEVIL
Kids. Can't live with them Can't kick them out fast enough lots of live
Should be lots of love
TRULYEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #52
malacajo
Mouseketeer

We were there with you guys and going through most of this with you (except the heart attack that was the night before your bday!) and I'm SO loving your trip report! Gives me inspiration to write ours..Maybe-you know me! Loved eating at Palo with you guys, we had the best night, we never get out like that, it was as if we have all been friends for so many years Yes, totally agree with Mayito our server in Palo-he was absolutely incredible, awesome service, only complaint I could ever say was the wine situation...Palo trains their servers well!! We would have never even come close to drinking an entire bottle, heck you and I didn't even have a glass! What an awesome cruise, haven't gotten to your birthday yet Next year-much better!!! By the way all three of your kids are AWESOME! Love them!
Old 09-24-2012, 07:09 PM   #53
ImprovGal
No animals were harmed in the making of the dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmhall2000 View Post
AWWW!! 48!! That Tight Fit missed us all up! If you were sitting close to us you could have heard him shout Proclaimers 10 songs later and we could have tied!!! Oh don't even have me thinking about college breaks, eek!!! We were soo exhausted that night...wait! I think we did stay for the Pop game!! That was where they had to match the cards, right?? Yes! We left right after that...they were hilarious!! We got back to the room around 11:30 right after Pop
Ok, if you stayed through Pop, you might have seen the beginnings of the "entertainment" as it was sometime during the game when the presumably rather intoxicated guest removed her dress. She took to the dance floor after Pop.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #54
Jane1967
Disney Dreamer

Imhall2000....your trip report is AWESOME!! You have cracked me up several times. We had an issue with our oldest and a late night as well on the last cruise. We will definitely be setting up some guidelines on our upcoming Fantasy trip to the eastern carribean in March.

Disney Wonder February 2009
Disney World February 2009
Disney Wonder June 2009
Disney Dream June 2011
Disney Fantasy March 2013
Disney World May 2014
Disney Fantasy May 2015
Jane1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #55
malacajo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprovGal View Post
Ok, if you stayed through Pop, you might have seen the beginnings of the "entertainment" as it was sometime during the game when the presumably rather intoxicated guest removed her dress. She took to the dance floor after Pop.
Was this "topless wonder" a blonde?? If so, we saw the beginning of her night during the 80's contest...Trevor even stopped and one point and said "I don't think I can stop staring"...She was just getting started at that point
Old 09-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #56
lmhall2000
May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you in the palm of His Hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyodisneydad View Post
I think it's going take all the Pixie Dust in Pixie Hollow for me to get it within the next 20 years Love my wife with all my heart, but she and I are like oil and vinegar sometimes.

The more I read your story, the more it's like looking in a mirror. I am the bargainer in my family....when we went to Nassau I bargained for everything...best deal was when I bargained for hairbraiding at 80 cents a braid versus the 2 bucks onboard. I am the dancer out of the wife and I...when we were on the Wonder I wanted to dance, but she refused.

Oh man would my kids have been in hot water had they pulled that stunt. They would have been locked in the cabin the rest of the cruise. You would have thought that girls dad would have had a little sense to send everyone out after 1 in the morning. Oh and by the way my wife is alot more flexible with curfews and rules of the house than I am.
Ha! We must have been raised in similar households! Generation 80s?? I think I'm before Generation X or right at the start of it, am 45 now..raised on Leave it to Beaver and Happy Days...ya don't want your child galavanting around with Pinky Tuscadero at 2am!

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoarch View Post
Great trip report thus far! This is Jim (and Heather) from the cruise. We had a blast with this group

Yoda, we must have been just a few doors down from you (12508).
Oh Jim and Yoda, I'm so sorry to say that I do believe the room they were in was near y'all...hope they did not keep you up and if you have any bulletins to share, you better let me know! Asked son today where that room was and it was on the 11th floor. He mentioned he liked the TV in the mirror..so had to be concierge floor. Aha!!! I should have been Sherlock's Watson!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermanTriplets+1 View Post
Yeah, parenting teens. ! Testing limits apparently - guess he found them!
I enjoyed reading about your "girls' day" on St. Maarten. I am very proud of you for being able to "let" the boys stay put. Do they have a smiley for "pat on the shoulder"? I can totally imagine myself in that situation. I think I'd also say about 1,000 times that day "Oh if they only knew what they were missing!" Important thing is that every individual did what made him or her happy. It's a vacation, right?
Yep! You hit it right on the nail! Ya have to be go with the flow on these sorts of things, everyone was happy and that's what we go for!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryllarsen View Post
Just returned from a 7 day Alaskan cruise which was spectacular! Deciding on our next destination now!
How was the Alaskan cruise?? Kids and dh want to try but honestly, we lived in Seattle for 2 years and it took me 5 years in the deep south to break the chill! I'm not sure I could enjoy a ship where it's not sunny and warm...please share!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRULYEVIL View Post
Kids. Can't live with them Can't kick them out fast enough lots of love
Ding Ding Ding!! It only proves my point that I am glad I held him back (late birthday) he'll be 19 entering college in 2014...he SOOO needs more guidance! Sweet kid, earnest to a fault, and is coming into his 'own' person FINALLY! Love seeing him have passions..but also would appreciate more consistency in the 'trust' category...that's what lifelines are for, he has two more left

Quote:
Originally Posted by malacajo View Post
We were there with you guys and going through most of this with you (except the heart attack that was the night before your bday!) and I'm SO loving your trip report! Gives me inspiration to write ours..Maybe-you know me! Loved eating at Palo with you guys, we had the best night, we never get out like that, it was as if we have all been friends for so many years Yes, totally agree with Mayito our server in Palo-he was absolutely incredible, awesome service, only complaint I could ever say was the wine situation...Palo trains their servers well!! We would have never even come close to drinking an entire bottle, heck you and I didn't even have a glass! What an awesome cruise, haven't gotten to your birthday yet Next year-much better!!! By the way all three of your kids are AWESOME! Love them!
Grumpy was just saying today that meeting y'all and our night at Palo made the trip so much more fun than our other two cruises!! Loved song trivia night...too much fun!! You guys ROCK! Thanks Dis for making these connections possible!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprovGal View Post
YES!! We were still there! I saw TRevor drop his mouth in the middle of his retort..we all looked in that direction, I saw a lady with her dress up over her head!! I was embarrassed for her and could not look again...I wondered if she dropped an appetizer down it and that was the only way to remove it!! Freaky yet Cheeky!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane1967 View Post
Imhall2000....your trip report is AWESOME!! You have cracked me up several times. We had an issue with our oldest and a late night as well on the last cruise. We will definitely be setting up some guidelines on our upcoming Fantasy trip to the eastern carribean in March.
The scary part is next cruise our son will be 18!!! Still a senior in high school but hope he doesn't start pulling the "I'm an adult" caveat! In the whole scheme of things, it is a transgression I would take over many others..but still need to kick in that Momma ain't happy mode!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by malacajo View Post
Was this "topless wonder" a blonde?? If so, we saw the beginning of her night during the 80's contest...Trevor even stopped and one point and said "I don't think I can stop staring"...She was just getting started at that point
Yep!! Kind of want to know the 'rest of the story' on that one!

I had a minor setback (Murphy ya know) and am finally recovering from a nasty kidney infection...only had 2 in my life and both this year!! UGH! So, on to the next installation...THE DUALITY of PUNISHMENT!!

lmhall2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #57
kaseyC

Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmhall2000 View Post

Oh Jim and Yoda, I'm so sorry to say that I do believe the room they were in was near y'all...hope they did not keep you up and if you have any bulletins to share, you better let me know! Asked son today where that room was and it was on the 11th floor. He mentioned he liked the TV in the mirror..so had to be concierge floor. Aha!!! I should have been Sherlock's Watson!!
OMG!! Tara,I think it was the teenage girl in the Cat. T next to us on Deck 11. She always had a number of teenage boys hanging with her. I can't recall the exact night but she had a loud group of teens in her suite one night. Ask your son if the young lady liked to sing. She seemed to like to sing quite a bit on the balcony... scales and such.

The family in the Walt suite had daughter my Hailey's age. They became fast friends at the Edge and spent quite a bit of time in the Concierge lounge feeding their smoothie addiction.
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014 ~ Grand Californian CL 2014
kaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #58
lmhall2000

Men at Work: "Be Good Johnny"

Nothing like a good night's...er 4 hour sleep. Sun is up and so am I...finally talk the kids into rising around 8:00 for breakfast. Ds is being very, very apologetic...even comes of his own accord to apologize again to me and even wishes me a Happy Birthday! Now THAT is the boy I remember!! It's my birthday! My heart begins to soften because I was in rare Mommyraptor mode lsat night. As much heat as he takes for being on the receiving end, I honestly believe it takes more out of us as parents to have to go into frantic mode!

I think it's time for a lifeline. I ask the girls if they heard all the commotion..at first they feigned ignorance, but then realized my 'sweet' mommy voice was on this morning...they let out a big "whew" and went on to say how they had never seen me so upset and was glad it wasn't them, then of course they wanted to know what he did. Nah, nah, he's been through enough no sense in rehashing it and risking my 4 hours of sleep and buffer to wear off. I tell ds that I realize I can not have him chained to me for 48 hours and we would not end our vacation like this.

I guess you can call this lifeline "Ask the Audience"....So, I ask the girls and Grumpy what would be an appropriate punishment. Now is the time for all those times your dear brother pushed your buttons, make it good girls...someone spoke up and said, "Make him take pictures with the characters." WAHOO!! We have a winner. If you haven't noticed, but there are very few pictures of ds at all, much less of any with a character..he is 'too' cool for characters. It's like asking Yosemite Sam to go on a picnic with Bugs Bunny and be a good host. His kryptonite if you will. You can see a very short eye roll (didn't quite make the full circle..much more that his self control took over when he caught me seeing his eyes go up into his forehead.)

He quickly adjusts: "Mom, whatever you want me to do. I really am sorry."

Mom: "Done! You must find 5 characters today and get pictures with them." Not only does that mean waiting for long waits with little toddlers but all his 'buds' will see him doing it...he'll have to explain to them why he's very much a fan or why he's being punished. All in all, a good exchange....humility for terrifying your parents...sounds good!

We get a text from our Dis Friends to meet for breakfast...honestly, I need another mom to 'vent' to...she'll know the right things to say!! But, wait, as I stand up to leave I'm feeling pretty light headed..I knock it off to being very tired and worn out.

We make it to Royal Court for breakfast with all kids in tow. Girls are having fun showing son the Navigator so he can 'pick' his punishment! I am feeling more and more 'not so right'...knock it off to seasickness now. We are full steam ahead this sea day to Castaway Cay. Only raisin bran sounds good...they did not have any, sweet server went to Cabana's to find me some...that was soo sweet! I tell my fellow momma a bit of the drama and she was soo there with the right words...nice to have backup!

Son is eager to make his first character picture so he's off to stand in line with his sisters...Grumpy and I make it back to the room and now I KNOW something is not right! I had bought 2 passes for rainforest room and had planned on going today, it was NOT going to happen. Whatever is hitting me is hitting fast and I can not stand at all. Nausea, light headed, body aches. At first, I think I just need to rest and get some sleep.

I fall asleep quickly and wake up a few hours later feeling worse than before. Oh NO!! I'm sick!! I check my fever and it's over 100...ugh! My birthday and all I can do is hug those awesome pillows and rock away the nausea. And that blanket!!! Oh my goodness, it's like having your grandma hug you when you're not feeling well...that blankie was like my new best friend! Just the right weight to keep the chills going through me at bay and help me feel everything's going to be okay! I must find that blanket!! Googling doesn't help but I do find I'm not alone in my passion for these blankets!!

Grumpy, girls and of course dear son are awesome, coming in and checking often. Son gives me updates on what characters he has had pictures with and continues to apologize even asks if he can get me anything. If I have to be sick on my birthday, there is NO better place than on a ship..I get to see the beautiful ocean outside, know my children are enjoying themselves (and son even said his punishment was not as bad as he thought, that hanging with the characters was kind of cool.) Ladies and gentlemen! If there is ANYTHING I can gain for this kid on the cusp of independence is to embrace the little joys...you are NEVER to cool to get a hug from Goofy!!!!

So,the Murphy may have been the mysterious illness I contracted...Felt completely nauseous and as if some type of Caribbean Revenge had been thrust upon me..but life is funny...moments like these help you just sit back and take it all in. Our family was here to celebrate our 20 years of marriage...just like this cruise...each day of it represented the exact experiences we've rejoiced in, survived, and embraced during our 20 years. Some amazing experiences, some trying ones, the whole better or worse, richer or poorer, in sickness and health...ya just have to smile at the imagery of it all played out in an anniversary cruise!

It was pure joy hearing all the kids get along famously, being kind, offering a hair brush (when on other days it can be an impetus for war), Grumpy losing his Grumpy edge...being the doting, loving, sympathetic man that comes out either from fear I'm going to die and leave him with the manic days of raising three teenagers or just raw sincerity shining through that errant dwarf facade. Sure, I'm curled up in the fetal position just waiting for this 'too' to pass, but never too unaware of the dualities of hardships...sometimes in those, we see the true gems of our blessings!! This day is nearing a close, never touched the chicken noodle soup, 2 cups of sprite were my nourishment this day..no birthday cake, no candles, but a slew of cool birthday magnets/messages/gifts left by amazing Disers to ensure there is no mistaking, this WAS my 45th Birthday!! Thanks Guys!!!!

I will leave you with three images of a boy taking his punishment to the max...he did manage to get all five pictures today and he chose some amazing characters! The personalities of which if you added them all up together would be exactly how I want my son to live his life.."To Infinity & Beyond!" "Gawrsh" "To Laugh at Yourself is to Love Yourself" "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes" and "What's the Big Ideal?" Can you guess the characters?? And best of all, he made it back to the room 15 minutes before curfew...way 2 B!!!

Only one day left, hope I recover and can make it to our first trip to Castaway Cay!!!!

Old 09-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #59
Desi
Seek color and ye shall receive...
There are many Tag Fairies.... no-one said they're all girls though!

You are a good mother. I'd still be seeing red.
Cruise #1 Disney Magic Nov.14-21-2009 Double Dip
Cruise #2 Disney Dream Nov.13-18 2011
Cruise #3 Disney Fantasy Nov. 23-30 2013
Desi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:18 AM   #60
lmhall2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi View Post
You are a good mother. I'd still be seeing red.
Believe me, it takes great pains to push aside the red! I'll share this aside here and part of why he got off without being chained to me...the day before he was very down...would not share what was going on but moms know! So hard to see a down boy. I've been able to piece it together since coming home with the help of key accounts from his sisters. I'll put it in small print..if I think ds would be annoyed or that his privacy had been disregarded I would not post it...but it helps explain much...ds is all about being open and honest...so when he's sulking and withdrawn...you can tell he needs encouragement in a big way. I know this is all cryptic...but will be revealed soon!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: